What matters-Size or Shape?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flipe8

What matters-Size or Shape?

Post by flipe8 »

Hi there guys. Hopefully everyone had a Merry Christmas or happy holiday of the like. I was wondering what everyone places as a higher value in determining a knife purchase; blade shape or blade length? I know for collecting's sake, this may not be relavent, but for day to day carry, is it a factor to you? For me, I have always looked at a knife with a sub-3" blade before I looked at any other features, thereby eliminating a large number of knives immediately. It was only recently I bought a knife out of this "small" blade category; a SS Mariner and I must say I am now changing my view of bigger knives to the point where I am starting to entertain some "bigger" knives as not only purchases, but for EDC. Now that said, I was always looking a what I would consider "stout" blade shapes for work purposes. The long-time knife of choice for me was a Spur. I still think this knife defines what a compact working knife can be. But comparing it to the Mariner or my D'Allara, it somehow now seems to fall "short" :) Back to the question; size or shape first? Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I look at size first. I can go a little, and I mean a little over 3", but that's it. Anything bigger is too big for my uses. I also have a 2.5" blade length law in my city.
ASA NISI MASA
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I go with size first also. Mainly because of the limited shock value associated with a 3" and under blade and then because I don't really have a need for an EDC larger than that.
butch

Post by butch »

shape for me
i edc spyders from 1 3/4 up to and including almost 4 inch
for me its all about the knife needed for the job thats why you ll rarely see me with less the 2 or 3 spyders at any one given time
the right shape has more affect on how you use your knife with in reason
least thats how i see it :)
butch
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

I look at size first, 3" and under. :o
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

Yes -both! But you already knew the answer to your question.

Depends on what you are trying to do with the knife. My two favorites are the dinky Ladybug on my keyring and the 93mm sheepsfoot style blade "Rescue". They are very different sizes and shapes but both great cutting machines and easy EDC's.
pjrocco

I need both!

Post by pjrocco »

Usually the first thing I take into consideration is the size. But a close second is shape. They have to go hand and hand. I can always spare an inch or less if the blade shape is well designed. Example, the Kris. Most likely it will be over 3" inches. But, it will find it's way into my pocket either way. :)
Rock
raven

Post by raven »

I agree, Size and Shape go Hand-In-Hand. Most knives and concept designs are built around the blade's size and shape. IMHO, this is what makes every :spyder: so unique and versatile.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

For me, it depends on what I'm planning or what I think I "need" :D If the intent is for work EDC, 3 inches and pointy (size and shape). If it's one to add to my collection, but to be used occasionally, or for weekend work, etc., then the parameters will change. Don't mind getting latest and greatest as long as I can get some use out of it :) I will get a blade over 3 inches if I have a use for it, or want to add something to my collection. Last one was an Al Mar SERE 2K. Been wanting one for a long time and needed "something" to tide me over waiting for a Delica 4 :)

- gord
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My ideal would be a decent size wharncliffe...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...with a few bells and whistles. :cool: :D :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

the funny this is we have a blade limit here as well, but i always go for shape then size. I dont mind having to carry a knife on the belt, if the overall shape is what i desire.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

The Deacon wrote:My ideal would be a decent size wharncliffe...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...with a few bells and whistles. :cool: :D :D
Hmmmm, now that has the brain going...

A full size Kiwi, with a clip? I'd like to see that with a Tiger Coral inlay. :eek:
Rock
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Because of stupid laws, when looking for an EDC choice I must take length into consideration first. Knife shapes such as the chinook, persian(thankfully available in 75 mm now!) and others have appealed to me, but were out of the question due to size. Thats why I don't have a SpyderHawk :( .
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Of course Size gets considered 1st for my work knife. Too heavy a knife drags down my Scrub's pocket. Once I find a knife that fills my Size requirement then it becomes a matter of Shape and how it feels in my hand.

Have a Al Mar Falcon Ultra-Light - great work knife but it's boring compared to my ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. I am probably going to get a Black G-10 PE Dodo as I like the look of it and the way it feels in my hand. I am REALLY looking forward to the Schempp Kris.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I'll say shape. I never look at size. Often I get a tad disappointed when I get the knife from the brown truck as I expected it to be bigger. (must have carried a police model for too long and it distorted my perception).
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

It is shape for me!! If it appeals aestheticslly to me, then I will look into in further, if not, I am done with it.
Rainy County

It depends

Post by Rainy County »

I look at the shape first and then the size but it depends on what your looking for.Say your looking for a knife to carry around town that will fit easly in the pocket then you would look a smaller size first but for other tasks like hunting or camping I would want one that fits my hand so I would have a good grip for cutting bigger things.
"Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household." Acts 16:31
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Blade shape plays a very important role. Take the Dodo and the Cricket for example. They both have fairly small and sheeple-friendly blades, but the recurved shape allows them to cut better than other "normal" small blades.
catamount

Post by catamount »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:It is shape for me!! If it appeals aestheticslly to me, then I will look into in further, if not, I am done with it.
It's pretty much the same way with me.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi Im new, In my home city there is no legal restriction so its a full 4 inches for me but where I currently live the salt1 for work is all I need