Big Calypso

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thefly01

Big Calypso

Post by thefly01 »

New spydie addict here. Just got my calypso jr. and would love to get him a big brother. Anyone stear me in any directions I would love a plain edge? I thought I was done with expensive blades when I bought the benchmade 9100 stryker auto!
raven

Post by raven »

Hello thefly01, Welcome to the " :spyder: Family. Congrats on your new Caly Jr. If your looking for a Large Calypso, the only place that I've seen them, is on e-bay. They have them sometimes. A few others you may consider are the Manix, Mini Manix, Military, Paramilitary, or the new CF Military. Depends on preference. These probably come the closest to the Calypso, if you can't find one. Enjoy your stay. You'll probably also be getting posts here on a lot of other :spyder: s that are out there. I only mentioned a few. There are a lot of cool members here with a TON of Spydie knowledge. "Long Have They Been Acquainted With The Intricacies of the Spyderco Science". :D :cool: :D

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Welcome to our parlor mr Fly. The PE Calypso is indeed expensive as it is rare and long discontinued. Aside from Raven's good suggestions the PE Police and PE Endura are also similar, although the blade grind is different to the Calypso. Feel free to raise your voice in the "official bring back the Calypso" thread that is currently running.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Do a search for posts by Hardkiss. He did alot of research this past Summer, and ran down some shops (contact info in the posts) that might still have some available.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Thanks to those who offered some insight iI appreciate it. If I find one what do you feel is a reasonable amount for a mint C54BMP in box?
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. Enjoy your stay here and congratulations on your fine taste (at least when it comes to knives). ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

One more question. I know I've seen this in the threads but how many were made?
catamount

Post by catamount »

thefly01 wrote:Thanks to those who offered some insight iI appreciate it. If I find one what do you feel is a reasonable amount for a mint C54BMP in box?
For a PE you could be looking at $200+. SEs go for less.

Does anyone (Deacon ;) ) know if there are any variations in this model?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
JD Spydo

ONly 2

Post by JD Spydo »

I have had 5 of them all together. I currently own a PE version of the C-54. The last one I seen on Ebay I think went for $167. If my memory serves me well I think it was a serrated one.

The only 2 variations that I know of: or that I have seen listed in the few small Spyderco catalogs are the PE and SE versions both with black Micarta scales. If there is a combo edge I don't know about or have ever seen it.

I think they only ran that model for about a year or so.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Thanks Catamount your pricing is should be pretty current congrats! The search continues. I think the name of this spyder should be changed to the Spyderco Recluse! :D
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha and welcome thefly01,

Ahhhh, the addiction never ends! :D Enjoy your stay, and press on my friend! You'll get ahold of one of the :spyder: "Holy Grails"! ;)

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

I was going to keep quiet on this one :rolleyes: but, I've just had shipping confirmation that a SE version is flying my way!! Insured airmail, I might add............... ;)

God bless,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

[quote="catamount"]Does anyone (Deacon ]

No.

To my knowledge, there was only one manufacturing run of these, some PE and some SE. So you have only those two variants. Pretty easy to collect, if you can find them ;)

Ebay and bladeforums are the best bets, but for the latter, watch diligently, as good deals disappear FAST.

$200 is probably the market value right now, but given that everyone has no money left after the holidays, you may get lucky and find one a little cheaper.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums. :D
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

1200 in total, with more SE made...so the PE is rarer.
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

The search continues, but I thought I'd ask a question of everyone. Aside from the limited availability what makes this knife so amazing to you. I've only been fortunate to hold an SE and at the time didn't realize it was so rare. I do remember it felt good in the hand and I loved the look of the knife. I think the micarta handle really dresses it up, and I loved the blade size. I usually buy knives more for EDC but this knife has all the attributes of a great collector. This knife might induce alot of questioning stares if it were passed to Uncle Lou to cut tape Christmas morning!
catamount

Post by catamount »

It's got killer looks, and the Caly Jr. blade we all love... on steroids :D
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Welcome fly! There's a thread around here somewhere that's asking for a sprint run of the big one. I know how the Caly Jr. cuts, so the C-54 has gotta be a monster!

Post by 224477 »

My dream has been made reality. I am now a proud owner of a C54BMP #074V..
Thanks my friend! (You know who you are! ;) )
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

thefly01 wrote:Aside from the limited availability what makes this knife so amazing to you.
It is the only one to have a finger choil in the 4in. blades (Endura, Police, Calypso).
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It is an ok knife, but I find the Military to be an upgrade to the design.