Why are the blade markings on Magnacut models so much lighter?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tzirconia

Why are the blade markings on Magnacut models so much lighter?

Post by tzirconia »

I tried searching the forum but didn't see much on this question:

Why are the blade markings on Magnacut models so much lighter than non Magnacut models?

I personally like them this way, and I'm curious if there's something unique about Magnacut that requires a different process that leads to the lighter markings.

Are there other blade steels besides Magnacut that require different processes and thus have lighter or darker markings?

Thanks
Brock O Lee

Re: Why are the blade markings on Magnacut models so much lighter?

Post by Brock O Lee »

The same light markings are on the LC200N salts. My guess is it is to reduce the chance of corrosion on the markings, probably because it has a smoother finish.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kobold

Post by kobold »

^This.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

That's interesting. A great example of Spyderco attention to detail. I wonder what the 'salt marking' process is.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

All of Spyderco’s current blade markings are laser engraved on all US made knives. There may be a few imported knives that still have blade stamps as was done in the beginning, circa 1981. Spyderco also used to use a diamond stylus pantograph (hand and CNC operated) but the industry in general has been switching over to laser engraving over the last 20+ years. Based on my limited knowledge, laser engravers are computer driven, have varying power based on wattage, operate at different DPI (dots per inch), can engrave (burn/vaporize) the materials being engraved at varying depths, and some can engrave in both very dark gray (perceived as black) and very light gray (perceived as white) depending upon polarity. So, it is possible that the MagnaCut Salts are engraved to a lower depth than other steels, perhaps for extra corrosive resistance or maybe because of the alloy. These questions are best answered by Sal, Mike, or maybe Larrin.

nb
Synov

Post by Synov »

I really like the lighter engraving, it compliments the handle I chose perfectly.
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Nirvana Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti 4V: Manix 2 Marble CF Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
phaust

Post by phaust »

Synov wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:18 pm
I really like the lighter engraving, it compliments the handle I chose perfectly.
Great pic
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

Thanks to those who replied so far, interesting perspectives.

To explore this further I took out three knives and tried to take pictures of the blade markings for comparison. The knives are 1) Delica 4 K390 PE, 2) Salt 2 LC200N Wharncliffe SE, 3) Para 3 LW Salt Magnacut. It is tough to get good photos of the differences and I'm not a great photographer, but here are a few observations:

-The Spyder logo is definitely lightest on the Para 3, darkest on the Delica, and the Salt 2 looks closer to the Para 3 but maybe slightly darker.

-The Spyderco name, blade steel, makers's logos, and manufacturing location markings are definitely lightest on the Para 3, darkest on the Delica, and here the Salt 2 looks about as dark as the Delica.

-I can't feel any roughness differences between any markings on any of these knives but I'm assuming any differences in laser etching are so small that I shouldn't expect to.

I know that some of this is subjective and depends on light levels, angles, etc etc, but thought I'd add these pictures and comments in case anyone else finds this topic interesting.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

Synov wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:18 pm
Indeed it does, nice looking knife!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Under closer inspection, it appears as if the "engraving" is simply a high polish, rather than a laser engraving? Notice the absence of grind lines in the logo on this Siren. It has a mirror polish.

The same appears to be the case for the LC200N UKPK, and two recent Salt 2's I have, one in LC200N and another in H2. I notice a few lingering satin grind lines here though.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi