Good second Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: Good second Spyderco

Post by benben »

LeafJumper! Either edge you prefer, and in either K390 or VG-10, fantastic design!

I have a serrated K390 that impresses me more everyday.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Only you can decide but my favorite is the pm2
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

As you can see, you are quickly recommended nearly the entire catalog.

Best to find a retailer with a wide selection near you…. Then you will at
least get an idea of what Spyderco offers.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Delica is a simple and useful knife. It is my favorite knife with a 3 inch blade made by anyone. A Chaparral isn't a bad choice, either. It is super slim and easy to carry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

It would be best to try some out. For an EDC without a specific purpose, or limitation (like boating knife), I think ergonomics are most important factor, followed by knife geometry, lock type, last knife steel. YMMV. Knives feel very different to different people.
For me, I always go back to Native 5. It has my favorite ergonomics, albeit a slightly smaller blade than I prefer. Delica is also a great knife.
For the weekends, where I don't have a size limitation (imposed by work), and a knife that I use more heavily, I like my Shaman, Tenacious, PM2, and my ZT 0562.
If this is an EDC that is regularly on a boat, than steel clearly matters.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Thanks all. So… I went from ordering one, to justifying a second, to planning a third! 😂

I think I may grab a Delica based on the recommendations and low point of entry. Number three will be either Native 5 or a PM3.

Jeez I hope three is it!
Last edited by Joelc73 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Joelc73 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:06 am
Thanks all. So… I went from ordering one, to justifying a second, to planning a third! 😂

I think I may grab a Delica based on the recommendations and low point of entry. Number three will be either Native 5 or a P3.

Jeez I hope three is it!
LOL! Three would be a sane and sufficient number for anyone... :cheap-sunglasses
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Welcome to the Forums, Joel.

Do you have any experience in any of the following fields? Spyderco has what they call their OpFocus Program where they give a very hefty discount to:

Active Duty Military
Reservist / National Guard
Military Veteran / Retiree
Law Enforcement Officer
Paramedic / Fire Rescue
EMT
Medical Professionals

Here's the all of the info on the OpFocus Program. https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Delica is the superior choice, good call. The P3 is my least liked spyderco as its large in the pocket relative to its blade length, the blade is incredibly thick relative to its length making it very un-slicey, and does nothing well for my use cases. I personally dont understand why people like it. Delica is better in every way IMO. Sage, Chaparral and Lil Native are also good choices in the same vein.

The Centofante 3 in VG10 or Delica Wharncliffe in K390 are my favorite 3" blades overall.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:12 pm
Welcome to the Forums, Joel.

Do you have any experience in any of the following fields? Spyderco has what they call their OpFocus Program where they give a very hefty discount to:

Active Duty Military
Reservist / National Guard
Military Veteran / Retiree
Law Enforcement Officer
Paramedic / Fire Rescue
EMT
Medical Professionals

Here's the all of the info on the OpFocus Program. https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/
Another reason I should have gone to med school!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 pm
There have already been some nice suggestions my thoughts go towards an entry level Manix 2 Lwt .

Hey, @Joelc73,
I've got to agree here. The Manix 2 is very different with its caged ball bearing lock. It's super easy to use one handed, and is good in either the right or left hand. The blade is useful shape, and the size is "medium" for an EDC. For me, if a knife is any smaller, then it limits how easily I can do some everyday tasks. Of course bigger is better, but then it becomes less easy to carry. The Manix 2 is right there in the sweet spot.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The right second Spyderco is the one that comes before the third :cheap-sunglasses .

I could suggest at least 50% of their catalog, but I'm a man of low (no) inhibition !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Well the D4 is on the way. And because I know someone will recommend it soon, I have a Sharpmaker on its way also! 😉
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Joelc73 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 pm
This is all super helpful. Except now I want to buy five more knives!

I’ll use for general purpose. Cutting boxes, rope, etc. I wear jeans and shorts a lot - so I need something that would fit in my pocket.

I’d like to spend $125-150
I'm biased, but I'd point you in the direction of a dragonfly personally. $78 for an frn/vg10 version, $114 for K390. they may as well not exist in terms of weight or pocket space, and handle everything i've ever needed them to. but i don't think you can really go wrong with whatever you end up choosing.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Now I need to change the thread title to ‘What’s a good third Spyderco to buy’! 😉

These things are addictive!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

LOL don't go overboard... this can be addictive, you have to budget and take your time or you will end up with some regrets.
JBoone

Post by JBoone »

Delica 4 would be my choice but I can see you already pulled the trigger.
I am down to one as I keep gifting them to friends/family after using for a while (one that I need to locate now that I think about it, need to dig through the knife storage, I have a M390 red and black lady bug looking one that was an exclusive a couple of years ago that I have not used!)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

If you have a local shop, I would try to get my hands on a variety and see what works best for you ergonomically. For example, the endura and the native chief are both great knives in a similar size, but the ergos on the chief just work better for me, others love the endura.

It also depends greatly on what you want in an EDC. If you want smaller and thin (easy in pocket) I think a chaparral in whatever scales you like best is a great choice. If you like a larger EDC maybe a PM2. It's a bit thick for my tastes, but it's a standard for a reason. If you want a 4in+ blade for EDC that still does easily in pocket the native chief is my favorite.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Unfortunately, there is no shop near me so anything I buy is site unseen.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Joelc73 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:03 pm
Unfortunately, there is no shop near me so anything I buy is site unseen.
Some larger retailers such as Knife Center have videos showing the knife in hand… I find this can help determine the probable size and fit in hand.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…