sal can we get some new Lil Matriarchs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: sal can we get some new Lil Matriarchs?

Post by sal »

Thanx Ladybug. I understand. I went through many models over a 22 year period to get the Swicks where I wanted them. Interesting to note, the first model was called a SPOT (Self Protection Option Tool). We couldn't sell them in the UK because in the UK, self defense is illegal. :thinking

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:00 pm
Thanx Ladybug. I understand. I went through many models over a 22 year period to get the Swicks where I wanted them. Interesting to note, the first model was called a SPOT (Self Protection Option Tool). We couldn't sell them in the UK because in the UK, self defense is illegal. :thinking

sal
that's insane. self-defense is a human right; not a state-given right.

ultimately, i'd rather give them a swick or an ark. maybe when they get a little older they can carry something like that with less worry.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:16 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:00 pm

sal
that's insane. self-defense is a human right; not a state-given right.

ultimately, i'd rather give them a swick or an ark. maybe when they get a little older they can carry something like that with less worry.
I find common sense and a basic understanding of criminal nature lacking from all laws regarding self defense and what you can and can't carry. After years of trying, I finally jumped through enough hoops, interviewed with law enforcement, took hours of training, and qualified to carry a firearm. I can also carry a Cold Steel Espada XL, no training or permit required. I can't however carry a wooden club, blackjack, brass knuckles, kubaton, or a fixed blade knife. Even with a permit to carry a deadly weapon concealed, I can't carry a fixed blade (I asked when I got the permit).

Anyways, sorry for the rant. For your girls, an SD Option I like for College and School and other non-permissive places is a nice, plain looking Titanium Pen. Not the tacticool looking ones, the unassuming ones. Something they could take out anywhere and write with without raising an eyebrow on anyone. Good for anything from the collarbone up.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brant

Post by Brant »

[/quote]
I find common sense and a basic understanding of criminal nature lacking from all laws regarding self defense and what you can and can't carry. After years of trying, I finally jumped through enough hoops, interviewed with law enforcement, took hours of training, and qualified to carry a firearm. I can also carry a Cold Steel Espada XL, no training or permit required. I can't however carry a wooden club, blackjack, brass knuckles, kubaton, or a fixed blade knife. Even with a permit to carry a deadly weapon concealed, I can't carry a fixed blade (I asked when I got the permit).
[/quote]

Most new laws are just a bad reaction to a crime that’s already illegal, yet instead of pointing this out our politicians feel compelled to, “just do something”, so they can look good to stay in office. They rarely effect real crime, usually these laws are even redundant. Criminals are going to do bad things, they don’t care! All these new laws seem to do is punish the victim or worse turn the everyday person, who just wants to be left alone, into a criminal.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yes. legislators have got people believing that laws prevent crime rather than deter crime. laws are merely a deterrent and a means to hold the law-breaker accountable after the fact. they will never prevent the crime.

so, if it's illegal to threaten and/or stab someone with a knife, there is no reason to take the extra step to make carrying a knife illegal. the legal limitations on carrying certain knives only serves to limit freedom rather than stop crime.

an espada xl in my pocket is less dangerous than a box cutter in the hands of a violent criminal, and laws don't change anything in that scenario.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Finally found a place that has a Swick 5 in stock so I was able to order one. But I am still on board with the idea of a Lil Matriarch in LC200N. However, unlike LB, I am not a fan of the wave feature.

Patience is a virtue, so I will try to be virtuous.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
thojan

Post by thojan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:27 am
yes. legislators have got people believing that laws prevent crime rather than deter crime. laws are merely a deterrent and a means to hold the law-breaker accountable after the fact. they will never prevent the crime.

so, if it's illegal to threaten and/or stab someone with a knife, there is no reason to take the extra step to make carrying a knife illegal. the legal limitations on carrying certain knives only serves to limit freedom rather than stop crime.

an espada xl in my pocket is less dangerous than a box cutter in the hands of a violent criminal, and laws don't change anything in that scenario.
Yeah, here in Austria you can carry whatever you want (except automatics and the usual brass knuckles and such), but you should be able to explain your reason for carrying your knife to leos, if you get checked. Most of the time something along the lines of „oh, I did some work in the garden, I forgot it in my pocket“ will be sufficient, if your knife doesn’t look like an espada xl. You are allowed to defend yourself, but your actions have to be appropriate, so if someone wants to take my wallet, I can’t slice them open with an espada. So, the more your knife looks like a tool and less like a weapon, the better. The lil matriarch walks on that line, a yellow salt handle would be preferable in my situation, more than a wave feature and a signet ring ;)
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N