Is the Urban back at 2.61 inch blade ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Is the Urban back at 2.61 inch blade ?!

Post by TomAiello »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:15 am
My K390 Urban, which is a jewel...
The K390 Urban is amazing. I almost cried when I lost mine to a security guard. But they were still available then, so I ordered another from my phone within ten minutes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:59 pm
Hey, All:

I am responsible for maintaining the tech specs data for Spyderco. According to my master spreadsheet, I physically measured samples of the Urban Lightweight in March 2015. That's when the 2.61-inch blade length was established.

Once the specs for a product are established in the spreadsheet, I assume that they remain constant unless someone from our management or manufacturing teams informs me that we're making a change that would affect a product's specifications. Once such a change is made, I make the necessary updates.

In August 2021, the question of the blade length of the Heinie Haynes Urban Exclusive came up. I pulled multiple samples of it and the available samples we had of the standard Urban Lightweight and remeasured them. I confirmed that the original specs I defined for each were correct and accurate. Specifically, the samples of the Urban Lightweight that I found at that time still had 2.61-inch blades.

When I learned of this thread, I repeated that process and pulled three samples of fresh stock from SFO. I came up with an average blade length of 2.49. Until now, I was unaware that an in-line change had been made to this model. Now that I know it, I'll initiate action to update our marketing materials.

Stay safe,

Mike
They had also changed the profile of the blade without telling Spyderco. I remember we informed Sal a couple of years ago and he was going to look into it.

Also, around that time is when Sal said that the Urban was going to be shorter at 2.49 or so and the Metropolitan would come in a bit longer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Mike,

That was my bad. I was the one making the change and pushing the maker to make the Urban consistently at just under 2.5". We've had some challenges making that happen, partially because of the way the Maker finishes blades and partially because I haven't pushed hard enough. My apologies for the confusion.

Thanx for checking the knives in the store. Alex also checked the stock on the shelf and it seems like everything we now have is at 2.5" or under.

Eric had a conversation with the Maker last summer so I think we're all on the same page....finally. I asked Alex to begin the Metropolitan model with a 2.75" blade. We've already tooled up the handle for FRN. When I designed the Denmark model, I planned the Metropolitan because I didn't think the Denmark model would be big seller for a long time and I wanted to make better use of the tooling. It was a long term plan.

sal
Simonix

Post by Simonix »

So the metropolitan should now be back on the cards soon then?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:25 am
Thanx Mike,

That was my bad. I was the one making the change and pushing the maker to make the Urban consistently at just under 2.5". We've had some challenges making that happen, partially because of the way the Maker finishes blades and partially because I haven't pushed hard enough. My apologies for the confusion.

Thanx for checking the knives in the store. Alex also checked the stock on the shelf and it seems like everything we now have is at 2.5" or under.

Eric had a conversation with the Maker last summer so I think we're all on the same page....finally. I asked Alex to begin the Metropolitan model with a 2.75" blade. We've already tooled up theW handle for FRN. When I designed the Denmark model, I planned the Metropolitan because I didn't think the Denmark model would be big seller for a long time and I wanted to make better use of the tooling. It was a long term plan.

sal

I have big expectations from the Met. I only hope and pray that it's going to be ground as thin bte as my beloved K390 Urban and the backspring is full lenght. What about the steel Sal ?! I hope it's not a secret....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Metropolitan will have the same handle as the SPY-DK, I believe. This is alright in my book. I like the SPY-DK. So, I guess we will basically be getting a sort of one hand opening SPY-DK? Cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Simonix

Post by Simonix »

Doesn’t the Byrd Tern have a 2.75” blade?

Maybe it will look a bit like a more upmarket one of those?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Simonix,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Marius,

I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of SPY27. Thoughts?

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:05 pm
Hi Simonix,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Marius,

I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of SPY27. Thoughts?

sal
Awesome Sal. SPY27 is great news. Looking forward to the Delica family in SPY27 too. It’s my kind of steel. It takes a sticky sharp edge in no time on ceramics and it’s well rounded. I have a soft spot for cobalt based steels.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is great news. A Spy-DK with spydiehole and Spy27! Excellent!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Please make an orange one!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SPY27 would be a great choice! My experience is limited to one knife, but I like it for what I know.

@RadioactiveSpyder I agree. I'd like an orange one, also. However, I want the mineral blue green that Spyderco has been using as a first choice.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050