Help! Mystery box second missing a pivot screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aksp

Help! Mystery box second missing a pivot screw

Post by Aksp »

Update: 1/22/24 Spyderco sent me the missing pivot screw. I received my mystery box about an hour after I left for a Christmas vacation. Luckily my wife left a few days later and was home to bring the package in and get some photos of the knives for me before she flew out. I just got home a couple days ago and after looking at them I noticed the Polestar second I got was missing one of its pivot screws! I hadn’t noticed from the photos but sure enough looking at the photos it was missing upon arrival. My wife had carefully unpacked, photographed, and repacked everything. Luckily she likes knives as much as I do or I might have been in trouble.🤣 I was under the impression that seconds were slightly flawed but complete, functional, and safe to use. All of the other knives were and I was pleased with the value and variety I received except for this tiny but significant issue. I’ve emailed the spyderco special event email to ask a pivot screw, a replacement knife (second of similar value), or partial refund for the incomplete knife, but haven’t received a reply. I’m sort of bummed as this was going to my 12 year old son to be his first pocket knife. I got a PM2 in the shipment and tried swapping screws to see if I could order an aftermarket screw kit and the Polestars is different. Unfortunately, I can’t find any Polestar hardware for sale online save the clip screws. It’s definitely not usable (safely) in its present condition. If anyone can give me the exact pivot screw specs or knows where I can get one I would be very grateful. My next step is calling Spyderco. If they can’t help me I’ll be stuck selling it as a parts knife. Still love you Spyderco! Thank you for the online sale! :bug-red-white
P.S.
The online seconds haul: Polestar (missing pivot screw)😔; Crucarta PM2 (something I really wanted); Urban S30V HH exclusive; H1 ARK with sheath and chain necklace; ceramic sharpening rods; plus I got a Maxamet Manix 2 Lightweight separately. Love it.
Attachments
IMG_3977.png
IMG_8632.jpeg
IMG_8635.jpeg
Last edited by Aksp on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Help! Mystery box second missing a pivot screw

Post by apollo »

This is probably just a mistake. I remember them saying there seconds are fully functional this one clearly isn’t so i guess they will send you a screw when they have the time to reply. ( its the holiday season so they are probably understaffed )
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sometimes these screws work themselves out bouncing around during shipping. Did you check the shipping box itself to see if it fell out? Unlikely, I know, but it does happen. Good luck! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Aksp

Post by Aksp »

Good idea and I already thought of that. Checked and double checked. All the knives were in bubble wrapped sleeves on arrival and nothing was loose in the box. No loose screw in the sleeves either.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Aksp:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I'm very sorry to hear about the missing screw on your Polestar. The best way to remedy the situation is to email the photo you posted here to customerservice@spyderco.com with your shipping address and request a replacement screw.

Stay safe,

Mike
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

I also had an issue with the kitchen knife I ordered which I feel to be well outside of the seconds definition (functional and safety issue). I am going through Spyderco Customer Service and expect them to be a little slow this time of year. I am still awaiting a reply but would not expect Spyderco to not answer. Be patient and I’m sure they’ll get back with you.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Saucerito wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:05 am
I also had an issue with the kitchen knife I ordered which I feel to be well outside of the seconds definition (functional and safety issue). I am going through Spyderco Customer Service and expect them to be a little slow this time of year. I am still awaiting a reply but would not expect Spyderco to not answer. Be patient and I’m sure they’ll get back with you.
That’s interesting to hear. What is it about the kitchen knife that has you questioning it’s function?
- Nick :bug-red
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 am
Saucerito wrote:
That’s interesting to hear. What is it about the kitchen knife that has you questioning it’s function?
The blade slid out of the handle.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Saucerito wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:09 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Saucerito wrote:
Yikes! Yeah I would agree, that seems well outside of what should be considered a second.
- Nick :bug-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Saucerito wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Saucerito wrote:
Yikes indeed. Which model was that?
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:29 pm
Saucerito wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Saucerito wrote:
Wakiita Funayuki. Luckily, it rattled first so I gave it a slight pull and it came right out.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Saucerito wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:13 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:29 pm
Saucerito wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Wakiita Funayuki. Luckily, it rattled first so I gave it a slight pull and it came right out.
That's a bummer. I imagine they will take care of you though.