Red & Black Holiday Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mhood10109

Re: Red & Black Holiday Sale!

Post by Mhood10109 »

Hello all, new member, first post, lifelong sharp edged tools enthusiast…My question is, are the factory seconds marked as such and how are the marked? I assume like other manufacturers they do mark them but I am curious as to how they are marked. Thanks everyone and best of luck to all that will be on the hunt for a new blade this Friday and thanks to Spyderco for the exciting sale!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very cool, thanks Kristi!

Sounds like a lot of thought has gone into it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

Very cool and exciting. Lets see how much traffic the webhost can handle.
Thank you spyderco for your CQI.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Please oh please don't release the HIC Mule until January...
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

That's a surprise! I'm happy to see it happen again - hopefully less nerve-racking than the last one.
However, being announced so shortly before the event, I won't be able to participate tomorrow. Bummer. Please make it another day than Friday next time.
Good luck to everyone!!
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
S7ORM3X

Post by S7ORM3X »

hope we get i can grab somethin other than the leftovers when the servers work again
vanka

Post by vanka »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:43 am
Please oh please don't release the HIC Mule until January...
Same here. I'm already 5 knives in for November and now the seconds sale and on top of that DLT Trading is starting their 12 days of Christmas with really good deals. For this year Christmas is already cancelled. 😂
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Thank you Kristi 👊…now if it will just rain us out tomorrow 🙏
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

kriezek wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:54 pm
For those of us who have not had the pleasure of participating in these events before, what type of knives are available? Are there recent exclusives? Any archived knives? Or is it mainly current production knives that don't quite meet manufacturer standards for some reason or another? Thanks for input from those who know.
The previous online sales how do you mixture of current production, recently discontinued, production, as well as exclusives/sprints from the prior year or so, that don't quite meet manufacturer standards.

Some of the flaws are noticable, some not. For example, my Police 4 G10 arrived with a spot on the blade which looks like they spent a little extra time polishing/grinding it, and my Military had a little bit of wonkiness on the grind near the heel of the blade.

Conversely, I also picked up a Shaman, Manix 2 S110v and the PITS sprint, and after thoroughly examining all of them, I really can't tell why they were seconds.
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I held off on the BF sales, but I'm definitely interested in this. Lumpy, thanks for the reminder that you can get discontinued knives like the Police 4 in G10. I wouldn't mind a non-FRN Police 4 (G10 or Pakkawood, I'm not picky) so I can make some scales for it. Hopefully I'll be able to find that model.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mhood10109:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

All Spyderco Factory Seconds are marked by grinding a small notch in the spine of the blade, just ahead of the handle. It's very subtle, but clearly identifies it as a second.

Stay safe,

Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mhood10109 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:41 pm
Hello all, new member, first post, lifelong sharp edged tools enthusiast…My question is, are the factory seconds marked as such and how are the marked? I assume like other manufacturers they do mark them but I am curious as to how they are marked. Thanks everyone and best of luck to all that will be on the hunt for a new blade this Friday and thanks to Spyderco for the exciting sale!
Here's an example of what Michael said.

Small but definite mark.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm
Is this “special events” website a third-party web hosting service?

If it is, will there be any price increases to help Spyderco offset the cost of using a third-party web hosting service? (I think there should be ;)) Or will the prices be the same as they are at the traditional in person sale?

Will there be any inventory of certain models that is depleted through this online sale, making them unavailable during the next OPFocus Seconds Sale in the spring or Traditional Seconds Sale next November?

Will the selection of inventory be comparable to the past online seconds sales?

:respect :bug-white
So many questions young and inquisitive 'Shroom

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have an appointment first thing in the morning. Hopefully we're back in time to join the fun. There's only a couple knives I can think of that I might want but you never know.

I was thinking about picking up the GB2 Cruwear but that's out for now. I think I like the original one better anyway
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Any information about the Mystery Boxes, cost, contents, etc?

They put out great information about them last time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am

You've already asked yesterday... be patient and please try not to blow this thread up like you have the other seconds sales threads. Boy, did I call it already or what!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well, I am going to give it my best college try and get in on this fun.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I just got nuts on a GB1 and the GB2 exclusive. I might need to find more arachids.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Really exciting!! I didn’t hear about the prior online seconds sale until recently so I was thinking I’d need to wait until next summer. Super pumped to see one again so soon and thank you for working to improve what sounded like a challenging experience for all the first time around.

Whatever happens tomorrow remember it isn’t life and death, just a fun hobby we are all fortunate to participate in. Best of luck to us and thanks to the Spyderco team for making these possible!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:11 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am

You've already asked yesterday... be patient and please try not to blow this thread up like you have the other seconds sales threads. Boy, did I call it already or what!
Just hoping for some information, not that it helped much last sale. I am just fairly sure there will not be a whole lot of time to shop around and see what is what when the sale starts.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.