M4 Yojumbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cletus

Re: M4 Yojumbo

Post by Cletus »

Just received my M4 Yojumbo. The liners are uncoated.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
Unfortunately, there was an error in the letter due to an internal miscommunication. The liners are not coated. We apologize for the confusion.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:26 pm
Hey, everyone:
Unfortunately, there was an error in the letter due to an internal miscommunication. The liners are not coated. We apologize for the confusion.

Kristi

Sorry for Vivi to learn that.

Wonder why the hardwear looks to be coated (and of course the blade), but not the liners.

Though with an M4 blade it does at least make some sense that the blade is coated, but not the liners since the latter most certainly will be made from a steel clearly more rustproof than M4 anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:26 pm
Hey, everyone:

Kristi
Thanks for letting us know, much appreciated.
:unicorn
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

Interesting. Mine arrived today, also without coated liners, but that didn't seem odd to me because I have both a BHQ PM2 and Shaman with dlc black blades and the liners on those are uncoated. Out of curiosity, I dug out the paperwork from the PM2 and the Shaman, and neither mention anything about coated liners. The Shaman literature says that the pocket clip and "all other hardware also sport durable black-coated finishes," but I'd always assumed "hardware" referred to the screws and backspacer. And now that I think about it, the PM2's lanyard tube is black but the barrel spacers are uncoated, which seems kind of odd and a bit mismatched. All my other BHQ exclusives have satin blades/hardware (and liners, of course), except for the copper-handled PM2, which has a dlc black Rex 45 blade, uncoated liners...and black barrel spacers! ****, I kind of wish I'd never started looking at all this. I prefer the satin models anyway. And for the record, there is no satin M4 Yojumbo exclusive on BHQ's "coming soon" page, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't in the works, because this black-bladed version was never listed as "coming soon" either. The first I knew about it was from the promo email they sent me last week.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Hey guys quick question on this subject - are the standard S30V DLC Yojumbo liners DLC or uncoated?

Obviously my new BHQ exclusive is the same as all - uncoated. Otherwise excellent quality example.

Kleon
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

The S30V DLC Yojumbo has DLC liners.

ETA: My theory on why all of the BHQ M4 DLC Jade G10 exclusives have uncoated liners is due to the translucent scales and not wanting the "internals" to be as visible as they would be if they were black. The Native Chief seems to be the exception, as it is linerless and only the lock bar is coated, which is at the top and not so visible through the scales.

Prove me wrong. :smiling-cheeks
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

sovereign wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info Sovereign. Great theory on the liners as well BTW.
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I recently got my BHQ M4 DLC Jade G10 exclusive. I am very pleased to get it. I appreciate learning about the uncoated liners. However, uncoated liners would not have kept me from buying this knife. A terrific looking knife in hand!
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

sovereign wrote:
The liners on US-made, black-bladed, standard-production Spyderco knives are black, but not necessarily DLC. Blades are DLC coated. Liners, clips, and other handle hardware have durable black coatings, but those coatings are appropriate to the base materials of the parts and often involve other non-DLC processes.

Stay safe,

Mike
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:53 am
sovereign wrote:
The liners on US-made, black-bladed, standard-production Spyderco knives are black, but not necessarily DLC. Blades are DLC coated. Liners, clips, and other handle hardware have durable black coatings, but those coatings are appropriate to the base materials of the parts and often involve other non-DLC processes.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the clarification here Michael as well, of course, for all the great design work and instructing you have provided over your career. Stay safe,
K
vivi

Post by vivi »

thuyenbuom wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:07 pm
I recently got my BHQ M4 DLC Jade G10 exclusive. I am very pleased to get it. I appreciate learning about the uncoated liners. However, uncoated liners would not have kept me from buying this knife. A terrific looking knife in hand!
Mine was very well made. Great fit and finish. Anyone that doesn't mind the liners being uncoated should be very pleased.

I ended up deciding to return mine but I'm looking forward to future BHQ M4 releases. They were super easy to work with on the return.

Maybe if they end up doing a satin finished run I'll pick one up and let it get a patina like my satin M4 Chief.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

As much as I'd love an excuse to buy a second Yojumbo, I don't like the mismatched blade and liners. Seems like an oversight IMO. Sticking with my s30v for now.

Can we get a Yojumbo Trainer please Spyderco do the training minded users a solid?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Swaparoo time!!!

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
vivi

Post by vivi »

well looks like you have the coolest yojumbo out of anyone here now. congrats! enjoy using it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 pm
well looks like you have the coolest yojumbo out of anyone here now. congrats! enjoy using it.
Which one? 😂😂😂
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It’s amazing how un intimidating the silver/jade one looks. The jade scales are quite grippy compared to the CF ones. The jade scales are better for EDC to not appear as scary if you care about such things and the all black one is definitely hard to see at night.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

These scales are super grippy so I decided to do a skinny scale mod and I like it a lot more for my personal ergonomics. My large size hands don’t fall in the right place with the handle scallops so this mod works well for me. Still considering a forward finger choil mod to choke up on as well. The neutral handle makes for better grip in different holding positions. I put a Lynch deep carry clip on it and it totally disappears on the pocket. A highly recommended modification.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Not quite done, but almost done modding the jade blade. Compared to stock carbon fiber with M4 blade. With the forward finger choil you can really put some control/force on the blade. It rocks. PS. Can we get a 5” version and call it the Humungo? Yojumbo XL? Still need to get a black deep carry clip to match instead of the grey. One big bonus is not having the knife bump you out of holding the compression lock when closing when you make this finger choil

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mod update. I made the added forward finger choil larger and made the area larger/rounded where at the compression lock access and I must say that this is the hyperbolic “Game changer” for me. My fat hands can now manipulate and use the knife as I would have hoped. I can depress the lock and the blade clacks open and closed without even a bump on the finger. This pair of mods allows for a new type of draw/opening that was not viable before. I did some edge breaking and smoothing on the edges of the scales and it’s made for a big comfort jump which translates into more hard use without hotspots.