Chaparral LW SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Saucerito

Chaparral LW SE

Post by Saucerito »

I’m really hoping this model has the wavy serrations like the Caribbean. It will be a must buy if so. As much as I like the Caribbean, it is too large and bulky to be an around the house/athletic short IWB EDC for me. Are there any other Taichung knives with serrations? Just trying to gauge the likelihood of it being similar to the Caribbean. With the lightweight, thin blade, I would expect the design to favor a more slicy serration pattern as opposed to a “ripper”.

Also, I’ve learned never to base spyderco serrations off of the catalog picture - the serrations are often photoshopped and not indicative of the real product.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Mushroom

Re: Chaparral LW SE

Post by Mushroom »

What are the wavy serrations?
- Nick :bug-red
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 am
Here is one guess. See this comparison between Caribbean, Endura 4, and Pac Salt 2.
Compared with the Endura and Pac Salt, the peaks/valleys are much shallower on the Caribbean. So, the Caribbean SE is more wavy, less steep.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:46 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 am
Here is one guess. See this comparison between Caribbean, Endura 4, and Pac Salt 2.
Compared with the Endura and Pac Salt, the peaks/valleys are much shallower on the Caribbean. So, the Caribbean SE is more wavy, less steep.

Nice picture. I feel like Taichung, Golden & Seki's serrations are all distinctive, with Seki being the most aggressive, followed by Golden, and Taichung being the most subtle. Moki gets the award for most snaggled, LOL!

Just a feeling though...

Subtle serrations on the Chappy LW would be pretty great! Time will tell.
So it goes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks, had a feeling that might be it. It’s an interesting difference. :thinking Doesn’t seem intentional to me. Kind of seems like a happy accident as a result from different manufacturers.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I'm a little surprised this is not yet on the Spyderco site (either in New Product Reveal or searching for 'chaparral'; only PE FRN is there), while it is available for pre-order elsewhere.

Looking at the BladeHQ photo, the SE does look similar to the Caribbean.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:16 am

Nice picture. I feel like Taichung, Golden & Seki's serrations are all distinctive, with Seki being the most aggressive, followed by Golden, and Taichung being the most subtle. Moki gets the award for most snaggled, LOL!
If you ignore the snaggletooth portion of the Masa Ayoob blade, the Moki serrations are even more subtle than the Taichung ones. I'm not near either knife right now, but if I get a chance later, I will post a comparison picture.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:52 am
I'm a little surprised this is not yet on the Spyderco site (either in New Product Reveal or searching for 'chaparral'; only PE FRN is there), while it is available for pre-order elsewhere.
I think I figured out why it's like this on the site. The drop-down item is simply excluded entirely if not available. For example, right now, for the Caribbean, only PE is in the drop-down and SE is not in the drop-down, though that is the image shown.

Site suggestion:

It would be nice if the unavailable variations could still be displayed in the drop-down, but with the additional text of 'coming soon', 'out of stock', etc. And, the possible Edge Types could be shown in the technical specs tab.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:18 am
Thanks, had a feeling that might be it. It’s an interesting difference. :thinking Doesn’t seem intentional to me. Kind of seems like a happy accident as a result from different manufacturers.

Funny we should continue this serrations exchange here... :grin-big eyes

Unlike you I am convinced this IS intentional (but have no prove of course)

Look at ffg Pac Salt 2 SE, Endela SE, thin line Endura SE: All Seki FRN folders, Same blade height, same blade stock, but different serrations for all three (Endela always having the "shallowest").
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:46 pm
Look at ffg Pac Salt 2 SE, Endela SE, thin line Endura SE: All Seki FRN folders, Same blade height, same blade stock, but different serrations for all three (Endela always having the "shallowest").
I just did a comparison and noticed a difference even though both are Seki. The valleys on the Lil' Temp are wider than those on the Endura 4. It would seem that if a wheel is used for the edge, the wheel profile would not be affected by blade height, stock, etc. And, as the peak center to peak center widths are different across valleys, I'm not sure that could be attributed to wheel wear.

Edit: Perhaps it could be due to the radius of the blade curve, though I'm doubtful of that also.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:46 pm
I just did a comparison and noticed a difference even though both are Seki. The valleys on the Lil' Temp are wider than those on the Endura 4. It would seem that if a wheel is used for the edge, the wheel profile would not be affected by blade height, stock, etc. And, as the peak center to peak center widths are different across valleys, I'm not sure that could be attributed to wheel wear.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/532 ... 8f63_c.jpg

Edit: Perhaps it could be due to the radius of the blade curve, though I'm doubtful of that also.
Keep in mind that each model needs it’s own respective serration grinding wheel. That Lil Temp 3 was ground on an entirely different wheel than that Endura 4.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Keep in mind that each model needs it’s own respective serration grinding wheel. That Lil Temp 3 was ground on an entirely different wheel than that Endura 4.
True. I was just verifying/confirming the different serration profiles even when coming from the same location.
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Yes, the “wavy” serrations are exactly what TimButterfield referenced and are very distinctive on the Caribbean.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:55 am
Airlsee wrote:

If you ignore the snaggletooth portion of the Masa Ayoob blade, the Moki serrations are even more subtle than the Taichung ones. I'm not near either knife right now, but if I get a chance later, I will post a comparison picture.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:18 pm
dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:55 am
Airlsee wrote:

Very subtle
So it goes.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I want to know how thin behind the edge this is.

Debating this vs the Native Chief LW in SE or CE.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would like to know if I could do a blade swap with a non-FRN model (the Raffir Noble to be specific). I can only guess the blades are compatible?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am absolutely getting the SE Chaparral. One mean little Jack the ripper. With custom carbon fiber scales I have coming in eventually, this is going to be a little pocket rocket.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:35 pm
I want to know how thin behind the edge this is.

Debating this vs the Native Chief LW in SE or CE.

Keep in mind: In the context of this forum I am not an edge / sharpening... pro by any means.

That said: As much as I love Imy PE Chap, I felt it could have been thinner behind the edge from the factory (still a great slicer, don't get me wrong).
Don't know of course if this will be true for the SE too.

Anyway, there is nothing that could keep me from getting this SE variant ;)
Have been hoping for one for quite a long time.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)