Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by mark greenman »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:05 pm
KnifeWorks... Satin Blade, PlainEdge, Camo G-10... https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-militar ... c36gpcmo2/
Very cool. I'm seriously debating the digi-camo vs black Mil2.

Currently carry the Foliage Green CPM D2 Mil1, and I love that color.

For those with both knives, is there any change in ergonomic 'grip feel' between the Mil1 and Mil2? The handle is my favorite part of the Mil1.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:56 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
For those with both knives, is there any change in ergonomic 'grip feel' between the Mil1 and Mil2? The handle is my favorite part of the Mil1.
I have not tried both, but just know the Mil 1, but there must be a change/difference in ergos, right?

- On the actual handle: A linerlock cutout will always make for a different feel in hand than a comp.lock cutout - otherwise details of handle shape, chamfering... would not matter at all imo.
This may not be too obvious when just holding knives, but more when really and over a longer period of time using them.

- Choil: The Mil 2 choil looks very much like the PM2 choil.
To me the Mil 1 style choil always worked and felt better than the "newer" PM2 style choil.
So this change in choil shape will make a difference too.
Actually some folks already stated that they prefer (differently to me) the different feel of the "new" choil (style)

- Clip: One CAN now change (also) the ergos by positioning the clip tip up. This should be noticeable in hand/in use compared to the tip down position
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep, I already went through the choil thing when they switched it up on the Paramilitary. Same deal with the clips.

The OG Paramitary was tip down only like the Military. I had both models modded to tip up at one point and they both carried better.

Paramilitary also had the Military style choil (which I had to use for a four finger grip on that version).

So I've already gotten to compare the two head to head to see which works best for me, and the deeper, wider Para 2 style is more comfortable in use.

That said, something I appreciate about the old style choil is how less space feels wasted between my hand and the cutting edge when gripping the knife behind the choil.

The Chief's choil feels great in use, but gripping the knife behind the choil it feels like there's a lot of wasted space in a sense.

That's one reason I grew to like the Resilience so much. I prefer gripping knives behind the index choil but I also like having my hand next to the edge. Tough to get that in a design with an optional choil.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:55 pm

That said, something I appreciate about the old style choil is how less space feels wasted between my hand and the cutting edge when gripping the knife behind the choil.

Not meaning to go OT too far, but exactly this is one of the reasons why I also prefer the old Stretch 1 choil over the new Stretch 2 choil.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:21 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:
- Clip: One CAN now change (also) the ergos by positioning the clip tip up. This should be noticeable in hand/in use compared to the tip down position
The Clip is my only regret with the change from Mil1 to Mil2.

I like the width / length / scratch resistant DLC hardcoating of the Mil1 clip. It provides good hand support, good amount of surface area for adding skateboard tape, and after 13+ years of cary the DLC coating on mine is still holding up great.

All the pics of the Mil2 show a shiny stainless steel clip, which is a weird choice for a black handle, and especially for the digicam handle. (frankly a shiny clip that draws attention to a knife in your pocket doesn't make sense at all to me outside of decorative knives) And the standard black 4-way clip uses a painted finish that I've never found particularly durable in the past, although I haven't used any of the recent production clips.

Outside of that though, I'm extremely excited for the Mil2 - I've been waiting for it since I handled it in the prototype case ~2016 at SHOT show.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I agree Mark, I also like the broad curved clip on the Military 1. It fills out the grip nicely and does not cause hotspots for me.

Is the black clip really DLC coated? I was curious before about what coating they used. Whatever it is, it is impressively durable, and I much prefer it over the standard black painted clips.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:25 am
I agree Mark, I also like the broad curved clip on the Military 1. It fills out the grip nicely and does not cause hotspots for me.

Is the black clip really DLC coated? I was curious before about what coating they used. Whatever it is, it is impressively durable, and I much prefer it over the standard black painted clips.
I'm not sure if it's DLC (I have a vague memory of reading that years ago.) It definitely seems to be some sort of scratch resistant metal treatment ala DLC / PVD / Nitride -akin to what we see in firearms parts - rather then paint like the basic 4-way clip used on the Delica/Endura.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

A black clip that stays black would be nice. I would order several if the correct part to order can be identified (a replacement for the painted black standard clip, that is).
vivi

Post by vivi »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:54 am
All the pics of the Mil2 show a shiny stainless steel clip, which is a weird choice for a black handle, and especially for the digicam handle. (frankly a shiny clip that draws attention to a knife in your pocket doesn't make sense at all to me outside of decorative knives)
I feel the same way. Even on satin blade knives with silver hardware I swap out stock clips to black if it sees any serious pocket time, like the M4 Chief I'm carrying today:

Same thing with flashlights, watches, sunglasses, etc. No shiny clips, no shiny watch cases or straps....generally flat black, dark green or dark brown.

Just not my style carrying bright, shiny stuff generally. One of the reasons I'm holding out for the DLC Military 2.

I wish every line was made like the Pacific Salt 2, where both black blade and satin blade models have blacked out hardware and clips. Looks so much better and helps prevent corrosion.
:unicorn
Jaret

Post by Jaret »

mark greenman wrote:
For those with both knives, is there any change in ergonomic 'grip feel' between the Mil1 and Mil2?
Hello. There are differences, and although they are insignificant, Military 2 is subjectively a little more convenient.

P.S. And sorry, there are no subtitles from Ukrainian... :eye-roll
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Satin Blade, Camo G-10

Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... nEdge/2406
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
•• Beau
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:47 am
mark greenman wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:54 am
All the pics of the Mil2 show a shiny stainless steel clip, which is a weird choice for a black handle, and especially for the digicam handle. (frankly a shiny clip that draws attention to a knife in your pocket doesn't make sense at all to me outside of decorative knives)
I feel the same way. Even on satin blade knives with silver hardware I swap out stock clips to black if it sees any serious pocket time, like the M4 Chief I'm carrying today:
I guess I've been out of the loop too long; when I began my Spyderco addiction (a Delica 3 in 2002) the standard Spyderco clip was Black, and this remained true for as long as I could recall. Stainless clips were reserved for SS knives, or decorative knives (the White NASA Delica, etc)

Then I took a few years off, and now it seems a large % of the lineup uses stainless clips.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I ever end up buying a Military 2 in the future, I'm going for a digicam version. If it's S30V, I'd prefer it in DLC. If there ends up being a Magnacut version, I'd like a satin blade, but I'd still want the hardware to be blacked out.

Jim
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bets on the first exclusive to drop?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:37 pm
I’m really hoping for a Bento Box exclusive in K390.

Would also kill for a DLT exclusive in S90V.

KnifeCenter exclusive in Cruwear would be awesome, but my money is on a Blade HQ excsluvie in M4 (also not mad about that).

I’d bet that BHQ placed that order the second it was possible.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
anycal

Post by anycal »

abbazaba wrote:
Historically, Spyderco has done S90V with CF scales as a first sprintrun. This was the case recenlty with Chief and Shaman, so they will probably continue with that.

That will be probably followed by M4, Cruwear, and REX45 in no particular order. I will hold out for whichever comes first.

I wish that a Golden K390 was more of a thing.
Peter
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
•• Beau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:00 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Historically, Spyderco has done S90V with CF scales as a first sprintrun. This was the case recenlty with Chief and Shaman, so they will probably continue with that.

That will be probably followed by M4, Cruwear, and REX45 in no particular order. I will hold out for whichever comes first.

I wish that a Golden K390 was more of a thing.
Wise words. CF and S90V is my combo.I shall be all over it. I just hope it’s going to be a sprint run, not an exclusive.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

Random unsolicited input here, but after receiving the Military 2 (nice knife, great fit and finish, of course), I feel that it should be labeled the PM2-XL. It carries over nothing from the original Military other than the same blade shape and size. So the iconic features of handle shape/ ergonomics, solid liner lock, and robust clip are all gone.

While certainly a nice new version of the PM2 (of which I already have far too many!), this new model for me won't be challenging the original for carry time.

As for converting this one to tip up carry, given the blade size and weight and the very light detent provided by the compression lock, I would think it might be prudent to add a first-aid kit to the EDC.....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MDNY102 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:41 am
Random unsolicited input here, but after receiving the Military 2 (nice knife, great fit and finish, of course), I feel that it should be labeled the PM2-XL. It carries over nothing from the original Military other than the same blade shape and size. So the iconic features of handle shape/ ergonomics, solid liner lock, and robust clip are all gone.

While certainly a nice new version of the PM2 (of which I already have far too many!), this new model for me won't be challenging the original for carry time.

Oh man... run, hide, duck... ;)

It´s not that not quite some folks here would agree (me included) that the name PM2 XL would be a better fit ,since for those folks defining features of the Millie (1) are gone, and very "pm2-ish" ones got introduced instead - but unlike with other models rational discussions or exchange of opinions seem to be harder when it comes to the Millie 2, even if one actually fully respects how it turned out and how its named, but still utters personal thoughts and impressions...