I sure would like something new...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: I sure would like something new...

Post by Bolster »

Had another (unpleasant to me) thought: Maybe you can't run a really successful company by trying to please the afi's. Maybe the wants and desires of afi's are so different from mainstream, that being an afi company actually hurts the bottom line because there aren't enough afi's out there--mainstream is where the money is.

So maybe my problem is me. Wouldn't be the first time. Maybe I just need to become more mainstream and less afi.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I feel spyderco has been in a little bit of a creative lull compared to how they used to be. But hey business changes, the market changes, and their doing their best to keep up, their primary business focus seems to be more about steel flavors nowadays. I personally wish they just produced more non-frn models, I’m not a huge plastic handle knife fan. I can enjoy the knife only to a certain extent if it feels super light and made of plastic. Steel liners, all steel, micarta, and g10 I much prefer on a factory production knife. And then do exclusive things like the kopa series was. I see the advantages for a light knife but I guess I’m just old school like that and clearly in the minority.
But patience is key. We the knife market and enthusiasts are already blessed spyderco exists and have done what they already have done.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:44 am
Had another (unpleasant to me) thought: Maybe you can't run a really successful company by trying to please the afi's. Maybe the wants and desires of afi's are so different from mainstream, that being an afi company actually hurts the bottom line because there aren't enough afi's out there--mainstream is where the money is.

So maybe my problem is me. Wouldn't be the first time. Maybe I just need to become more mainstream and less afi.
I think they definitely have to balance that line of mainstream and hardcore knife afi if you’re running a business as big as spyderco is now. Combined with being in the era of the market and cost of things we’re in right now. Spyderco has definitely pioneered and been pretty successful at the doing the knife afi thing(innovate and create great functional designs) and appeal to the mainstream market, at the start it took a while. Still manny people don’t like spyderco because they think the holes too ugly. But if they understood from an afi perspective, it’s all about enhancing the knife as a tool.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I get that exclusives will continue to be a big part of their business, but we can come out with some different models besides PM2’s, Shamans, and Lil Natives?

It would also be cool to seek some oldies revamped with new steels.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:24 am
video killed the radio star. we all know the demand for exclusives got so high that spyderco could barely keep their production models stocked. it was so bad they had to pump the brakes on exclusives to catch back up.

not saying you're guilty of this, bolster, but i see the complaints about spyderco doing nothing but releasing different colors and steel combinations all the time, yet almost every exclusive run sells out in minutes. they're making tons of money on those exclusives and it's driving the expansion.

i like to see innovative designs too, but i think the knife community is less adventurous than old school sypderafis. maybe i should say they're less adventurous when it comes to the type of unique spyderco produces, like the dodo or poliwog, for example. they seem to be more into crazy, weird-looking, futuristic designs from chinese companies, or more standard, vanilla knife designs. spyderco already pushes the limits of the latter.

what they have works for now and the exclusive thing is working as well. i hate to think of how many knives were missing out on because of exclusives, but i'm also buying exclusives i don't want to miss out on, so it's hard to be too upset about it. all that said, spyderco is innovation at its core and i don't think we'll ever stop seeing new designs and innovation, even if it slows for periods.
Spyderco indeed made tons of money with there exclusives. But i hope they going to be able to balance things out. I am glad to say main production pieces like pm2’s and Manix 2’s are back to almost always in stock in Europe since the beginning of the year.

That said beside that plus point i do hope to see them use there knowledge they gained from the exclusives. For example that goddard. The thing is sold out quick i guess so wouldn’t it be nice of Spyderco to make another goddard ( when the exclusives are gone and sold out ) in like a normal in house sprint in k390 and that blue frn?

That way they ride the Exclusive money train and a few weeks later they could give other spyderco fans around the world also something to look out for in kinda the same line as the exclusives. Because honestly i know i am known for not being a LW fan but i really was happy when they announced that goddard. Then i was yet again destroyed when i found out it was another exclusive. :woozy
Last edited by apollo on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

New designs would be great. As a relative noob to knives, many of my most desired models are from the highly innovative phase from 98-04. Compared to the golden Era as JD Spydo calls it, today's product line is wayyyy more static, focusing on steel and color, not design.

I would be happy to see revivals of all the old school models that are out of reach to the newer generation of Spyderco collectors. Jade G10 handles with DLC. Weird models like the Ayoob (thanks!) Poliwpg, or JD Smith. The Ayoob and Goddard both seem to be a smashing success. It seems to me there is plenty of demand for both revivals and new models.

Hopefully the Disco list and expansion are harbingers of new stuff to come
Stas

Post by Stas »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 am
I feel spyderco has been in a little bit of a creative lull compared to how they used to be. But hey business changes, the market changes, and their doing their best to keep up, their primary business focus seems to be more about steel flavors nowadays. I personally wish they just produced more non-frn models, I’m not a huge plastic handle knife fan. I can enjoy the knife only to a certain extent if it feels super light and made of plastic. Steel liners, all steel, micarta, and g10 I much prefer on a factory production knife. And then do exclusive things like the kopa series was. I see the advantages for a light knife but I guess I’m just old school like that and clearly in the minority.
But patience is key. We the knife market and enthusiasts are already blessed spyderco exists and have done what they already have done.
Exactly how I feel. I would own much more knives from the current catalog if they were still available in G10, like Police 4 or regular Stretch 2 etc. This is happening now with Sage line, two nice models are being discontinued and we will see soon Maxamet FRN Sage. I don’t dislike FRN, I have and carry quite a few and it is a practical material (not much Lightweight btw). But I don’t need all my knives to be FRN, like I don’t want all my shoes to be crocs.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Why not just take a small break from knife buying and explore another hobby/interest instead. If you average out what you spend in a month on knives you can easily get into another hobby at an entry level And it should in theory feel like a breath of fresh air. And if you have 2 interests/hobbies both competing for your dollars the purchases should be much less impulsive. I'm not saying stop buying knives but take up archery for a month or 2. Or spend 5-6 weeks on something that interests you. And try to get very good at it.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Imagine not being interested in knives smaller than an Endura! Sure limits what % of the offerings appeal to me.

I'm ok with that though. I like focusing on a narrow range of models that excel for me, like Pacific Salts, Aqua Salts, Millies, Manix XL's and Chiefs. I could narrow down my collection to those models easily.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:22 pm
Imagine not being interested in knives smaller than an Endura! Sure limits what % of the offerings appeal to me.

I'm ok with that though. I like focusing on a narrow range of models that excel for me, like Pacific Salts, Aqua Salts, Millies, Manix XL's and Chiefs. I could narrow down my collection to those models easily.

If I were of your profession, I'd be gorging myself on chef's knives! That would be fun. It's a tempting detour to a steady diet of folders and mules. My only worry is that if I spent big money on chef's knives, my wife would make me cook...and then nobody would be happy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:31 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:22 pm

If I were of your profession, I'd be gorging myself on chef's knives! That would be fun. It's a tempting detour to a steady diet of folders and mules. My only worry is that if I spent big money on chef's knives, my wife would make me cook...and then nobody would be happy.
My knife roll I carry to work is worth over 2 grand at this point. It's a sickness. I have two shoe boxes full of random kitchen tools.....from old hickory paring knives to ravioli cutters to a 20 pack of sharpies to back-up microplanes.....

I always tell people grab a tojiro vg10 santoku for $30-40, a Victorinox paring knife, and if needed a 10" Victorinox chefs for bulk prep and large meat processing. Less than $100 and you'll be equipped for 98% of home kitchen cuts.

If you're an edge junky like me though.....gotta get at least a few mid 60's RC knives from japan and take them down THIN.....
:unicorn
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Guts wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:24 pm
I'm with you. A Sage 6 with the CBBL is what I want to see. Or I'm down for old or previously discontinued stuff reintroduced with new steel.
I'm with Guts on both points. I'd love to see the CBBL in a Sage 6 using S30V and G10/CF laminate. I'm sure the Worker, Southard, or Citadel would be great sellers if reintroduced as a Sprint.

As far as new-new, I'd love to try the lock on the upcoming performance Shaman aka Edgerati.
viewtopic.php?t=94986
- Richard
Erich

Post by Erich »

Maybe be grateful for what you've got?

I understand MAP hate as much as anyone but the way some guys talk down to Spyderco about the knives is cringe.

You're probably not going to get much new stuff anywhere. The already fake economy is tightening and trying to get back to Earth after all the fake stimulus. That's why retailers can't move anything and are dropping the MAP left and right. This is a time of saving and austerity, and a great time for someone who doesn't own any Spyderco to buy in.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:23 am
I would be happy to see revivals of all the old school models that are out of reach to the newer generation of Spyderco collectors. Jade G10 handles with DLC. Weird models like the Ayoob (thanks!) Poliwpg, or JD Smith.
Why the JD Smith instead of the Renegade or Blackhawk? Seems like those two models make better use of the ricasso. They were also made in Golden and could be a good project once the expansion is complete.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65858&start=8820
Last edited by riclaw on Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard
Danke

Post by Danke »

I would like to see a knife that incorporates a periscope, or a microscope, or both to tell the truth.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

How about just an LED flashlight and seat belt cutter?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:55 am
there's a patent out there somewhere with an led built in to a manix handle, if i recall correctly.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:36 am
cabfrank wrote:
there's a patent out there somewhere with an led built in to a manix handle, if i recall correctly.
Link to the related patent, for those who may be curious:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20210347067A1/en
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Giygas wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:41 am
ladybug93 wrote:
cabfrank wrote:

imagine charging your cell phone from your manix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:47 am
Giygas wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:41 am
ladybug93 wrote:
cabfrank wrote:

imagine charging your cell phone from your manix.

What if, instead of a hand crank, one can use compulsive knife fidgeting action to charge a phone :grin-smiling-eyes