Fluted CF Native5 In Stk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Fluted CF Native5 In Stk

Post by TkoK83Spy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:16 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am
I keep looking at this when I shouldn't. Had I not just bought that Military, I would have caved and got this for sure. Even despite that cost increase. I've never heard a single bad comment about this knife. I think those scales with black hardware and a DLC blade would look pretty awesome for anybody with the ability to do that swap!

Something like this? Unfortunately, the DLC backspacer sat too proud above the fluted CF scales, driving my OCD crazy. My fluted CF N5 carries my Maxamet blade these days, perfect fit (and S90V in the fluted Ti). And for anyone wondering about the CF clip, it’s from Aramis Akhmedov and highly recommended. Cheers, Radioactive
Yes!! I knew I saw that swap on here somewhere a couple years ago. Thanks for posting that pic again, looks so good! Unfortunate with the backspacer. One of those things, once you see it you can't unsee it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am
I keep looking at this when I shouldn't. Had I not just bought that Military, I would have caved and got this for sure. Even despite that cost increase. I've never heard a single bad comment about this knife. I think those scales with black hardware and a DLC blade would look pretty awesome for anybody with the ability to do that swap!

Something like this? Unfortunately, the DLC backspacer sat too proud above the fluted CF scales, driving my OCD crazy. My fluted CF N5 carries my Maxamet blade these days, perfect fit (and S90V in the fluted Ti). And for anyone wondering about the CF clip, it’s from Aramis Akhmedov and highly recommended. Cheers, Radioactive

That DLC treatment does look awesome! Maybe Golden needs to redo ALL of their CF/S90V models again in DCL! :winking-tongue
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, if Spyderco is ever interested in adding a DLC version alongside the S90V and 40th anniversary offerings, at least they hopefully now know they have a winning combo on their hands!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

A mirror polished DLC would look pretty slick with the carbon fiber. Not sure what that would do to the price, but it would look good.
•• Beau
anycal

Post by anycal »

Still haven't pulled the trigger on this. Still need one of these. Seems like the longer I wait, the costlier it will get. Maybe for my birthday...
Peter
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I thought i wanted one of these, but have decided that i don't.

For me, the smooth G10 CruWear Native 5 is already the 'ultimate expression' of the design. I carry my PE Salt, Rex45 LW, Spy27 and SE Salt variants more, but i get a lot of pleasure from the G10/CruWear model.
PStone

Post by PStone »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

…Unfortunately, the DLC backspacer sat too proud above the fluted CF scales, driving my OCD crazy. My fluted CF N5 carries my Maxamet blade these days, perfect fit (and S90V in the fluted Ti). …
At first I felt the same about the dlc backspacer not lining up. I know at least 3 of us (including you) tried and had the same issue. I just learned to live with it. I also have the same Maxamet combo. I think the stonewash and CF are absolutely great together.
It was my first blade swap and is currently my longest owned Spydie. (#2 spot is an 087 VTOKU2 Endura that you passed on and I got from NewGraham).
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:02 pm
I thought i wanted one of these, but have decided that i don't.

For me, the smooth G10 CruWear Native 5 is already the 'ultimate expression' of the design. I carry my PE Salt, Rex45 LW, Spy27 and SE Salt variants more, but i get a lot of pleasure from the G10/CruWear model.
Agree with you. Smooth G10 Cruwear is the perfect version. My Maxamet blade is well done in second place.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Opinions will certainly vary on which one is the “best” depending on what you’ve had experience with and personal preferences. I still own all 3 fluted variants and sold my smooth G10 one even though I turned it into this black beauty below (not many Spydies escape my Torx driver). I didn’t care for how slick and blocky the G10 scales are compared to the wonderfully contoured (and lighter) fluted CF handles, likewise for the smooth G10 PM2. I certainly didn’t let the Cruwear blade go though! Out of all the N5 versions, the fluted CF is still my top recommendation, with whatever blade steel you fancy (satin or DLC). Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Skar

Post by Skar »

I'm going to go broke here.
I told myself I would order it, if it was in stock.
There it was and now being shipped out.

Seems like a comfortable edc.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Skar wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:04 pm

I have no doubt that it'll become one of the favorites of your collection. It'll be well worth the price spent. Especially after you recover from the initial dent in your wallet
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Skar

Post by Skar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:20 pm
Skar wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:04 pm

I have no doubt that it'll become one of the favorites of your collection. It'll be well worth the price spent. Especially after you recover from the initial dent in your wallet
I believe you're right.
The wallet isn't my issue right now, as long as my wife doesn't notice.
It's that my knife box is overflowing.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I sold an FRN Native, a Sage 5, a Chaparral FRN, and a PM2 without buying anything, so I feel okay about buying knives right now. A McBee is in the mail (not sure if I should count it as a whole knife ;) ), but then I will keep my powder dry and wait for eventual Millie and Chief models.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

can't quite justify one while i have the 40th anniversary native and a fluted ti in my crosshairs...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

In stock at KnifejoyLLC. I just pulled the trigger on one.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not many of these poppin up in EU stores, yet..
Kid

Post by Kid »

This is bad. I told myself no more buying knives! In stock at G&R tactical $234 plus shipping.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Available at DLT...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Last edited by Mrj on Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tempting but even at $260 I still think it's a pass for me.I guess I need to think on it for a couple days. Not a big deal to me if I miss it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!