Poll: Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Military 2
23%
Para 3
13%
Native Chief
16%
Native 5
25%
Lil’ Native
5%
UKPK
6%
Manix 2 XL
10%
Yojimbo 2
2%
Yojumbo
No votes
Siren
2%

Total votes: 122

horzuff

Re: Poll: Which Golden Model Do You Want to See in 15V Next?

Post by horzuff »

Voted military as I'm not thrilled with S30V yet really waiting for the Military 2 itself.

However I'm 99% as interested in a Native Chief in 15V :D
kobold

Post by kobold »

Voted Native Chief, but the liner lock Military is my primary choice.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:19 pm
Voted military as I'm not thrilled with S30V yet really waiting for the Military 2 itself.

However I'm 99% as interested in a Native Chief in 15V :D
What dont you like about s30v? Is it a bad steel?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

liner lock military
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:13 pm
There's absolutely nothing wrong with S30V. It's actually considered a premium steel, it's well-balanced, and Spyderco wouldn't use it if it wasn't any good. I have a lot of it and I actually like it. Some people just get caught up in the whole steel of the moment thing and get bored with steels that are more common. It's easy to do with a company like Spyderco that gives so many great steel options

Diverting a thread is generally viewed as poor form. So probably best to get back to discussing the next 15V models
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:24 pm
There's absolutely nothing wrong with S30V. It's actually considered a premium steel, it's well-balanced, and Spyderco wouldn't use it if it wasn't any good. I have a lot of it and I actually like it. Some people just get caught up in the whole steel of the moment thing and get bored with steels that are more common. It's easy to do with a company like Spyderco that gives so many great steel options

Diverting a thread is generally viewed as poor form. So probably best to get back to discussing the next 15V models
I'm very sorry I had no idea that was bad form. I just got a little nervous. In the past 2 weeks I bought 4 new knives from Spyderco all s30v and then I saw that comment and it freaked me out a little. Thanks for the great comfort though.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:35 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:24 pm

I'm very sorry I had no idea that was bad form. I just got a little nervous. In the past 2 weeks I bought 4 new knives from Spyderco all s30v and then I saw that comment and it freaked me out a little. Thanks for the great comfort though.
I talked to Eric Glesser at Shot Show 2023, he felt CPM S30V is still a great steel and he felt the processing of the S30V was very important for the overall experience.

The newer PM stainless steels intended to replace CPM S30V sought to BALANCE the properties (toughness ,stainlessness, etc) over S30V but was done with some trade-offs to the overall cutting edge retention at similar hardness.

I don't recommend looking at the different knife steels like different brands of luxury watches or trading cards.

Getting into knife sharpening is also an important part of truly experiencing what the names of those steels actually mean.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I really want a Military 2 in CPM 15V.

I feel one of the best advantages to getting Spyderco to use CPM 15V with special HT was so we could finally get that full sized military slicer with a steel at high hardness packed to the brim with hard carbides bristling at the edge. A military 2 would be a total beast for long draw cuts with excellent grab and bite at the edge.

Longer blade= more edge = more slicing draw and edge retention
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:33 am
Military2. Don’t even need two gray cells to rub for this decision.
Ditto!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Didn't vote...I would prefer my next 15V blade be in a Chaparral or...hope against hope...a LW Caly.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:07 pm
I really want a Military 2 in CPM 15V.

I feel one of the best advantages to getting Spyderco to use CPM 15V with special HT was so we could finally get that full sized military slicer with a steel at high hardness packed to the brim with hard carbides bristling at the edge. A military 2 would be a total beast for long draw cuts with excellent grab and bite at the edge.

Longer blade= more edge = more slicing draw and edge retention
I was going to write something approaching this in my initial response, but I'm glad I refrained. Well said, Shawn.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:56 pm
I tried to click "Stretch 2 XL 15V SE," but it wouldn't take.
Maybe 'cuz it's gonna be in K390?
It is going to be released in K390, and I'll be right there with you buying one.
ZetaH wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:46 am
Could the Delica 4 option be added? It has an ideal edge geometry, Thank you
I focused the poll on Golden models because the steel has only been used in Golden so far. I think that is probably likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future, but I could be wrong.
Bolster wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:45 pm
Didn't vote...I would prefer my next 15V blade be in a Chaparral or...hope against hope...a LW Caly.
Really stoked to see that new lightweight Caly.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:52 pm
RustyIron wrote:
It is going to be released in K390, and I'll be right there with you buying one.
ZetaH wrote:
I focused the poll on Golden models because the steel has only been used in Golden so far. I think that is probably likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future, but I could be wrong.
Bolster wrote:
I feel Golden is the home of CPM 15V.

I worked really closely with Golden on the 15V heat treatment. There was a lot of back and forth conversations and shipping of test samples and coupons.

So, it's not just the name of the steel on the side of the blade and heat treatment is more than opening a Betty Crocker cookbook.

When working on the AEB-L made in Italy, I didn't have the creative freedom I did with Golden.

Keep in mind here folks, decisions about if the CPM 15V will be done abroad or solely in Golden are NOT up to me. So, hopefully I'm not being out of line here or saying something that won't hold up over time yet, it is out of my control.

However, If it was up to me, I think the CPM 15V would work best in just Golden since there is a lot of unseen working experience that has been established. I was further impressed by how everyone at the Golden HT team came together under my plan to do the little extra things needed to help make this CPM 15V heat treatment special and where it needed to be.

If you could imagine, there was a lot of pressure to meet expectations when getting such a niche material to such a wide audience and if done and improperly 15V could be so brittle it would be unusable, So the consequences could have been huge. I feel a material like 15V is more sensitive than AEB-L so I appreciated having more involvement.

Even the 15V melt chemistry itself was specially selected to work best with this heat treatment so it was more involved than people realize to get the consistency we achieved on such a large scale.

On a side note, not all of us make knives so I think some details need to be put into context.

CPM 15V is a nightmare material to work with and finish.

Golden has a massive amount of specialized expertise, equipment and personal from working with Maxamet to really crush the 15V and make it appear "easy"

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that Golden is my favorite Spyderco Factory. They can eat any steel, any place, anytime and not to diminish the other factories, but Golden is an extraordinary group of people in all departments.

So while a 15V delica would be pretty rad I think seki already has there own thing going with K390.

Just my opinions.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:45 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:52 pm
RustyIron wrote:
ZetaH wrote:
Bolster wrote:
I feel Golden is the home of CPM 15V.

I worked really closely with Golden on the 15V heat treatment. There was a lot of back and forth conversations and shipping of test samples and coupons.

So, it's not just the name of the steel on the side of the blade and heat treatment is more than opening a Betty Crocker cookbook.

When working on the AEB-L made in Italy, I didn't have the creative freedom I did with Golden.

Keep in mind here folks, decisions about if the CPM 15V will be done abroad or solely in Golden are NOT up to me. So, hopefully I'm not being out of line here or saying something that won't hold up over time yet, it is out of my control.

However, If it was up to me, I think the CPM 15V would work best in just Golden since there is a lot of unseen working experience that has been established. I was further impressed by how everyone at the Golden HT team came together under my plan to do the little extra things needed to help make this CPM 15V heat treatment special and where it needed to be.

If you could imagine, there was a lot of pressure to meet expectations when getting such a niche material to such a wide audience and if done and improperly 15V could be so brittle it would be unusable, So the consequences could have been huge. I feel a material like 15V is more sensitive than AEB-L so I appreciated having more involvement.

Even the 15V melt chemistry itself was specially selected to work best with this heat treatment so it was more involved than people realize to get the consistency we achieved on such a large scale.

On a side note, not all of us make knives so I think some details need to be put into context.

CPM 15V is a nightmare material to work with and finish.

Golden has a massive amount of specialized expertise, equipment and personal from working with Maxamet to really crush the 15V and make it appear "easy"

So, it shouldn't be a surprise that Golden is my favorite Spyderco Factory. They can eat any steel, any place, anytime and not to diminish the other factories, but Golden is an extraordinary group of people in all departments.

So while a 15V delica would be pretty rad I think seki already has there own thing going with K390.

Just my opinions.
I hope nobody needed anything in that case because this dude just closed it.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Thanks for the insights Shawn! I really appreciate all the effort that went into this project!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I voted the Shawn Houston Collab!

As far as Seki models go. I hope they just keep working their K390 magic there. It is a beauty.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:44 am
JoviAl wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:51 am

I think this is an excellent choice for 15V. I have a 15V Shaman and while it is a thing of such loveliness it pains me to use it, the blade is so thick I would like to try it in something longer, slicy-er, and altogher more Manix 2 XL-ier (which, let’s face it, is the greatest folding knife of all time 😜).
I really cant argue that. I love the military and native lines and the pm2 was my first ever spyderco so I have a soft spot for it, but the manix 2 really is tops. I need to get an xl but I want to hold off until it comes in something like s90v or 15v
If you can find one the cru-wear exclusive is brilliant, although in fairness the standard S30V one is pretty excellent too. I’ve been on the prowl for a 4V one but I keep missing them 🤷🏼‍♂️ If and when they make a Magnacut one I will be extremely happy.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Sage
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

Bolster wrote:
I'm completely with you on this, however I'm not sure Taichung can handle the HT or the grind as Shawn just detailed above
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Didn't vote as I'd like to see both the Military 2 and the Native Chief catch the 15Virus.

Been insanely impressed with the 15V MULE. That motherlover just won't quit and is perplexingly laughable to sharpen and keep sharp, for ridiculous amounts of time. No hype, just ripe. Get 15V in as the mainstay flagship super steel in Golden and put the sprint runs on strike!! Lets get it done Spyderco. :bug-white :usflag :respect
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.