Sage 1 Maxamet: This goes to 11

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gooeytek

Re: Sage 1 Maxamet: This goes to 11

Post by gooeytek »

So far, I've only used it to cut dry stuff and it's held up very well. Still on the factory edge.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The Sage 1 is an outstanding knife. In my opinion, the Sage Series was/is one of the most underappreciated Spyderco efforts. While the Chaparral series renders the same basic design highlighting different handle materials and treatments, the Sage Series paid tribute to different lock mechanisms and their designers. I've always been fascinated with locks as defining features of pocketknife development, so I have a deep appreciation for Sal's drive to recognize and honor them.

For the record, however, Spyderco does not "bring back" discontinued designs in the exact same format as the original. If the Sage 1 were to return in CPM S30V, it would require a different handle material. If it had the same carbon fiber scales, it would need a different blade steel. Reintroducing a discontinued design always involves a definitive change to separate the production generations.

My advice is to buy the Sage 1 Maxamet while you can.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

And the S30V/CF sage 1 can still be found without too much hassle. I know that Ive seen some of them avilable over the past year !

I really like Maxamet. I don't have tons of knives in it because it costs a lot, but I've still managed to get 2 N5 LW in the steel 🤣.
One is kept brand new and one just looks like it has 10 years of patina and scratches already.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:10 am
The Sage 1 is an outstanding knife. In my opinion, the Sage Series was/is one of the most underappreciated Spyderco efforts. While the Chaparral series renders the same basic design highlighting different handle materials and treatments, the Sage Series paid tribute to different lock mechanisms and their designers. I've always been fascinated with locks as defining features of pocketknife development, so I have a deep appreciation for Sal's drive to recognize and honor them...

Stay safe,

Mike
100%. Still one of my favorite designs. It got me hoping for a 10v Sage2.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:10 am
The Sage 1 is an outstanding knife. In my opinion, the Sage Series was/is one of the most underappreciated Spyderco efforts. While the Chaparral series renders the same basic design highlighting different handle materials and treatments, the Sage Series paid tribute to different lock mechanisms and their designers. I've always been fascinated with locks as defining features of pocketknife development, so I have a deep appreciation for Sal's drive to recognize and honor them.

For the record, however, Spyderco does not "bring back" discontinued designs in the exact same format as the original. If the Sage 1 were to return in CPM S30V, it would require a different handle material. If it had the same carbon fiber scales, it would need a different blade steel. Reintroducing a discontinued design always involves a definitive change to separate the production generations.

Stay safe,

Mike
I'm glad I had a premonition about your advice and ordered one yesterday for $169 all-in. Today they are gone.
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

Thanks gooeytek, abbazaba and others for posting your Sage 1 Max photos. I bought one yesterday on the KC sale, decided I had to try the ergos and it made the most sense to try maxamet in the thin slicer blade style as it’s intended purpose(?), even if the satin finish won’t patina well, which I think is an appealing aspect of hard tool/tungsten steels. I’ll share my experience back here after some cut tests for comparison.
Last edited by BearShark44 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Glad to hear I could help! Looking forward to your impressions.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Every time I come across a discussion about the Sage, I wonder how and why I’ve avoided owning one.
After so many less than great purchasing decisions, it’s quite a feat how this one slipped away, and I’m quite convinced it would have ended up among my favorite mistakes.
Even though I’ve become a big proponent of FRN, the liner lock and G10 somehow appeal more to me in this design.
Not sure I’m ready for more maxamet though.

Anyhow, Mike’s response is a reminder that some choices can’t be postponed in perpetuity.
Can’t have them all either. Maybe a spot opens up if I manage sell more drawer stuffers than my initial lowball estimate. So far the current is still flowing in the wrong direction, albeit much slower than it used to.

As far as patina goes, my P3 stayed quite pristine for a good while, until it didn’t. Not sure what, but something I’m using it for really messes up the finish.