St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rival22

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by Rival22 »

To me this looks like a beefed up Buck 112. Here is a comparison pic of it with a 110 and 112.

Paired with a fixed blade, I think the Goddard would make a great camping folder. For a bigger knife, it's light and disappears in your pocket, but is a big enough blade to use for some food prep or other "camp" work.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:46 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:44 am
Glad I got 2 of these. Been carrying mine since Monday and will continue to…
Yup. That's why I got the second, just in case! Really like it.
I don’t normally buy 2, but gimme a thin, linerless knife with a neutral handle, no gimping and little to no thumb rump and at this price I couldn’t resist.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
z1r

Post by z1r »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:38 am
z1r wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:46 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:44 am
Glad I got 2 of these. Been carrying mine since Monday and will continue to…
Yup. That's why I got the second, just in case! Really like it.
I don’t normally buy 2, but gimme a thin, linerless knife with a neutral handle, no gimping and little to no thumb rump and at this price I couldn’t resist.
I wasn't sure at first but once in hand, I knew I needed another. The thumb ramp is a bit odd to me in that I am used to Jimping and there is none. Not that it affects the use, for me anyway. Still, I guess I'm just so accustomed to it on Spydercos. I really like the way the handle fits my hand. It is surprisingly big, but not in a bad way. I think the old school look of the blade really appeals to me as well and helps keep the knife "small" despite its size.
CriticalMe

Post by CriticalMe »

Well, SLOMO finally got the better of me. I bought the last one available, for now. Special thanks to Bolster for his Mini Review, and HolySteel for his disassembly posts. I didn't realize the handle was one piece, that explains the lack of screws.
I thought I had talked myself out of it, but it is unique, and may be a while before it's available again.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

CriticalMe wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:31 am
Well, SLOMO finally got the better of me. I bought the last one available, for now. Special thanks to Bolster for his Mini Review, and HolySteel for his disassembly posts. I didn't realize the handle was one piece, that explains the lack of screws.
I thought I had talked myself out of it, but it is unique, and may be a while before it's available again.
Congrats on getting the last one! I haven't noticed them re-releasing any of these red/black exclusives. If you don't like it, getting your money back shouldn't be an issue.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Trying hard to resist the fomo on this one. Y’all are making it look great.

It’s still not green. It’s still not green. It’s still not green.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Received them yesterday, pretty fast delivery from UPS.

Here's some pictures :open-grin

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I’m enjoying mine: lightweight, comfy handle, great build quality. To me, it’s got the blade of the Slysz bowie with a handle like a larger, flattened Siren. Love that it’s a linerless FRN.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I regret only buying one because I like this knife way more than I expected I would. Oh well, I'll live.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:25 pm
Received them yesterday, pretty fast delivery from UPS.

Here's some pictures :open-grin

Ya'll know why Mr. Ramonades pics show two knives?!
...Cause Robin is a great guy, helped me out in ordering one (I was in the mountains with little to no internet service when the Goddards got available).

Thanks again!! :clinking-mugs

Should be on its way from France to Austria soon, and I am looking very much forward to this one! :smlling-eyes
Not SE, but I guess I can live with that since this knife ticks so many other boxes for me: Light, FRN, my personal perfect regular size for EDC, backlock, NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up, tool steel (I might remove the coating)... great!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:14 pm
Should be on its way from France to Austria soon, and I am looking very much forward to this one! :smlling-eyes

It's nice to see the Austrians and the French cooperating.

Wartstein wrote:
...NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up...

Yes, I remember you like a "tall" choil. You're not a Perrin guy. I've been experimenting with choking up on the Goddard and I gotta say, it works pretty well! You may be on to something!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Vive la France! 🇫🇷🇦🇹 😅
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I finally got mine, I noticed on the body it says “GODDARD CLIPIT” so that would make this officially my first spyderco ClipIt. I like the steel, it takes a wicked easily, blade cuts well however the factory edge was that worst that I have seen yet from a spyderco. I look forward to using it more.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Not SE, but I guess I can live with that since this knife ticks so many other boxes for me: Light, FRN, my personal perfect regular size for EDC, backlock, NOT a deeply recessed choil but rather a "high" and wide (under the index finger) and flat area for choking up, tool steel (I might remove the coating)... great!!
Also a rather shallow carry, that should be to your liking.

Congrats!
Always makes me happy to see forumites help each other out.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I so regret not having bought two. It has been a knife heavy purchase time for me and I only own a couple of other back-up models but for $125 it should have been a no brainer. This knife is large but lightweight, carries comfortably loose in the pocket, and most importantly it cuts like a champ.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I got mine on the 3rd (July), put my own edge on it,loctited the two screws, and have been carrying it since. I am VERY much liking this knife, and very glad I got one!
Gernot, I think you're gonna love it.

u.w.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

electro-static wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:49 am
I finally got mine, I noticed on the body it says “GODDARD CLIPIT” so that would make this officially my first spyderco ClipIt. I like the steel, it takes a wicked easily, blade cuts well however the factory edge was that worst that I have seen yet from a spyderco. I look forward to using it more.
Similar thoughts on this issue, the edge was very uneven but thankfully it's an easy fix to someone with a bit of skill and time to work on it. I didn't even notice that marking but that's cool now, will probably keep just for that reason if nothing else.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Same here. The blade edge was uneven, especially thin on the right front (on both knives), and it was dull. But...it sharpened up really great and I doubt the front unevenness will affect usage. I give this knife an A+
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mine came yesterday. It is pretty good condition and no problems with the edge. I like it and am glad I bought it. 4V is a good steel and the Goddard model is one of my favorite Spydercos. I have two old ones around somewhere. This will get more use than the old ones.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Got mine up here in Canada today, extremely light weight and my came razor sharp. The blade reminds me of the Slyz Bowie, or it's probably the exact opposite since this came out like 20 years earlier I think? Not that I knew it existed until two weeks ago lol. Only nitpick is that the blade rubs up against the scales everytime I open it since the scales are so close together, but that's part of the deal for such lightweightness and thin-ness I guess.