St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsvirsky

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by dsvirsky »

Seki did a pretty good job on these. Lockbar stands a little proud when closed, typical of Seki, but fit and finish are otherwise good, the bevels are even, and the blade is ground nicely thin.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I wasn't sure about it right when I unboxed it, but I changed my mind very quickly. This is a pretty sweet knife. It came pretty sharp, and it feels nice and slicey. Not as quite as slicey as my Wharnie Delica PE, but very very close. It's just a tad heavier than a Delica, probably closer to Endela weight. It doesn't seem too obnoxious in the pocket, it seems to carry pretty nicely. I could Spydie flick it out of the box and the blade drops easily.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Got mine. Handle is longer in person than I was expecting despite having seen some of the comparison pics previously. I like how lightweight it is despite the size though.

Bonus shot of the factory edge
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Very similar to the Siren but I like the Goddard handle better, it’s slicier and lighter but it ain’t going in saltwater…easily spydie flicks and mine came super sharp…evenly ground on both sides
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Got mine and like it. Mine seems like a great specimen so far. Gonna go straight into my pocket starting tomorrow.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
simyo

Post by simyo »

I had to update the family photo, we don’t talk about burgy. One day he will want to do fun stuff with the family. Image
simyo

Post by simyo »

simyo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm
I had to update the family photo, we don’t talk about burgy. One day he will want to do fun stuff with the family. Image
Well that didn’t work😂 round 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CuP7PWtPxgJ ... E2YWMzOA==
simyo

Post by simyo »

Third times the charm, I think. I give up 🤦‍♂️. Someone in the know shoot me a dm and I’ll update this guy.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:18 pm

Very similar to the Siren but I like the Goddard handle better, it’s slicier and lighter but it ain’t going in saltwater…easily spydie flicks and mine came super sharp…evenly ground on both sides
Thanks for the comparison. They look very, very similar. Looks like the goddard puts your hand a little bit further from the edge
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Guts wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:14 pm
Got mine. Handle is longer in person than I was expecting despite having seen some of the comparison pics previously. I like how lightweight it is despite the size though.

Bonus shot of the factory edge
Is that a stretch?
MRj “Weak things break!”
Guts

Post by Guts »

Mrj wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:49 pm
Guts wrote:

Is that a stretch?
Yup. K390 Stretch 2. Definitely surprised how much longer the Goddard was overall despite being having a blade that's only ~0.2" longer compared to the Stretch.
Rival22

Post by Rival22 »

Guts wrote:

Good comparison! Mine should be there when I get back home on 7/6, and the Stretch 2 and a Buck 110 slim were the first comparisons that I was looking forward to.
4V / BD1N / CRUWEAR / K390 / LC200N / M4 / MagnaCut / REX45
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mine just arrived and I had to compare it to my Rit-dyed Native 5 (scales originally from yellow Salt). The dark red is shinier, so reflected light more on one side. The Goddard was surprisingly a little dull - I might have to subject it to a little more red :winking-tongue

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

simyo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:57 pm

Third times the charm, I think. I give up 🤦‍♂️. Someone in the know shoot me a dm and I’ll update this guy.
Here's your photo!

This is the method I use.
viewtopic.php?t=83968
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Guts wrote:

Great shot, thanks. I was expecting the Goddard to be Stretch sized…I guess not.

How does choking up on the ricasso area work? Comfortable? Safe?

Office closed for Xxtra long weekend so wont see mine till the 6th of July. Enjoying the photos though!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:16 pm
Great. Yes. And yes.

Got my 2 in today! That was quick! Not my first goddard, hope it ain’t the last.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Tried to talk myself into this knife several times: cool factor, retro factor, volcano texturing, never had any 4v..... just a really cool knife all around. Just not for me, size-wise, so I'd rather leave it for someone else to enjoy. Grabbed a Native Magnacut PE instead to go with my SE, which I told myself was the more adult choice :grin-sweat

I, too, am enjoying these pics, though! Really just a cool piece!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:36 pm
Tried to talk myself into this knife several times: cool factor, retro factor, volcano texturing, never had any 4v..... just a really cool knife all around. Just not for me, size-wise, so I'd rather leave it for someone else to enjoy. Grabbed a Native Magnacut PE instead to go with my SE, which I told myself was the more adult choice :grin-sweat

I have done the same. So far.

I almost bought the 4v Chief, but already have 2 sweet chiefs I rarely carry. This is a similar case.

It does seem cool.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:16 pm
Guts wrote:

Great shot, thanks. I was expecting the Goddard to be Stretch sized…I guess not.

Office closed for Xxtra long weekend so wont see mine till the 6th of July. Enjoying the photos though!
I actually prefer the feel of choking up on the ricasso area after playing around with it for a while now. I do find it comfortable. Definitely safe imo since there's a lot of room on the grip for your finger to work with. It reminds me of the Military kind of, although the kick on the Goddard doesn't protrude out as much like on the Military, so that is one thing to take into account if choking up on it. You won't have as firm of a finger stop like on the Millie basically. However it's still better choking up on compared to some of the other Seki backlocks like the Delica/Endela/Endura etc, which are incredibly cramped feeling and really weren't design to choke up that high.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:56 pm
Spicy Suplex wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:36 pm

I have done the same. So far.

I almost bought the 4v Chief, but already have 2 sweet chiefs I rarely carry. This is a similar case.

It does seem cool.

Yeah. I definitely don't mind having a few larger (for me) knives in my collection, but I've got it covered with a few Pacific Salts, which would do anything this knife could do for me and also be immune to corrosion at the same time.

I woulda just bought it and looked at it, which would lessen my enjoyment vs. just seeing you guys have fun with them.