CPM 15V Sprint sharpening and performance thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dull&blunt

Re: CPM 15V Sprint sharpening and performance thread

Post by dull&blunt »

His following video was even more impressive! Almost 2000 cuts! Rope cutting has it flaws as do most of these similar tests. But it’s hard to refute such a drastic leap in performance over previous results.

Something special is going on with this 15v 😎

I’m sure glad I got my example of it!
electro-static wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:41 pm
New Cedric and Ada Gear edge retention test just dropped:

https://youtu.be/vWR9yGLmM1k

Has it outperforming K390, Maxamet, and Rex121 on just the first edge after the factory edge.

Truly impressive. BBB and Spyderco knocked it out of the park!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

electro-static wrote:

Has it outperforming K390, Maxamet, and Rex121 on just the first edge after the factory edge.

I knew it was good, but did not expect *that*... I folded and bought the Shaman shortly after watching that video. 🙈
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:15 am
electro-static wrote:

I knew it was good, but did not expect *that*... I folded and bought the Shaman shortly after watching that video. 🙈
Same here. Spyderco really needs to find a way to bring this steel into regular production. Shawn has found something special and I’m sure Spyderco had to overcome many challenges producing it on this scale.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I threw my 15V PM2 back in my pocket a few days ago on the way home from a hiking trip. The timing was uncanny, I think the day after I put it in my pocket Pete's first edge test showed up. I was expecting good things, but not the crazy good result he got. Definitely good to see 15V doing so well. I'm absolutely hoping for more of it in the future. Lately my 15V PM2 is one of the few knives that kicks a small Sebenza out of my pocket. 15V is definitely a performer for me, and the sharpening experience is truly excellent also.

I've tried to keep a place for Maxamet in my knife rotation, but 15V just does it plain better for a carbide monster tool steel for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

I kinda want a BBB 15V Native Chief now... :thinking
notorious fidgeteer
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

*cough* you mean a native 5 right :winking-tongue
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

BBB 15V Native Chief sounds awesome.. :cheap-sunglasses
... rule #9 ...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Manbug or dragonfly
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I thought Maxamet has a higher carbide volume

So what's left for Maxamet?
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:13 pm
I thought Maxamet has a higher carbide volume

So what's left for Maxamet?
Perhaps someone will go away and ‘tweak’ it to shoot Maxamet’s performance even higher!
Long term? I am not in manufacturing, but I can see the factors at play - cost and time of manufacturing vs demand/profit. The difficulties in making Maxamet blades is well documented and I can see why Spyderco would let it slip from the line up.
A cheaper alternative that has close to or better performance, will get my money.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Assumption is that 15v really is cheaper.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Hope this steel makes it into regular production. The new Military 2 would be a popular choice. I was done hovering over the keyboard at 3 am years ago. It took me a while to realize how stupid I was. Once you are done with FOMO there's no going back. If Spyderco make a regular production knife that I like (Mille 2, Stretch XL or Native Chief) I'll get one. They sure are a leap foreword in steel technology.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

A few of us are hoping for a Military (1), Native 5 and Native Chief in 15V. It’s not like they got a soft response to the first batch of sprints. I’m looking forward to a chance of AEB-L in the same models listed above. I have decided to try and wait it out.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Bemo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:35 pm
Assumption is that 15v really is cheaper.
I thought it was a reasonable assumption. PM2 15V - $204 vs PM2 Maxamet - $268
Manix 2 15V - $157 vs Manix 2 LW Maxamet - $252.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

One can only wonder what a BBB heat treat could squeeze out of Maxamet then ^^
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

One thing I feel is the most surprising about this steel and BBB's heat treat protocol of it is the ease of sharpening it.

I have cut up a lot of cardboard with it a couple of times now, going from a hair whittling edge to one that won't scrape arm hair, but is still quite sharp. The weird thing is that it sharpens back to hair whittling extremely quickly and without much work on my pocket hone.

I wonder if it's just because it's still retained a little more sharpness by the time I decide to touch it up than other knives of other steels, but it seems like when I allow other steels to get to that point of dullness they take longer to touch up than the 15V.

All of this seems very contrary to expectations that this steel was going to be some kind of chore to sharpen due to the high vanadium carbide content and HRC of 64-65. However, it seems to be as easy or maybe even easier to sharpen than a lot of the 58-60 HRC low carbide steels I have.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’m curious to hear other’s experiences, especially with higher grit finishes.

I’ve carried my Shaman for 2 weeks now, the last week with my edge and I was surprised to see what appears to be some light rolling of the edge after only light use opening mail and a couple packages.

I usually sharpen my folders to 15dps but decided since the Shaman came around 17-18 and knowing this steel isn’t supposed to be too tough, decided to sharpen to the lower factory angle and go from there. This was just to the top of the green marker on the edge pro system, which I believe is roughly 18dps. I used an edge pro system and progressed from a 140 to 400 to 600 to 1200 atoma diamond plates. Then went to a 1 micron diamond paste strop on basswood and when I tested the edge on an old shoe was shocked at how easy it was cutting through it. I then went back to the 600 and 1200 plates and stropped with 1 micron, 0.5 micron and 0.25 micron all on wood and have been using the knife lightly for about a week now.

Today I just noticed the light rolling. Since the Shaman has some stout geometry and my angles are higher than usual I believe I may have taken the edge to too high of a finish. I can take it down to a 600 or 1200 grit finish and then strop but am curious what others may think is going on.

I should have a mule Saturday and plan to really play around with it then but what have others’ experience been with high grit or high polished edges?
vivi

Post by vivi »

higher grit edges are inherently stronger than coarse edges as far as I know, so I doubt that's the reason.
:unicorn
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Interesting.

I took a 52100 blade up to a very high polish once and when running along a couple of those little air filled packaging “pillows”, the edge was blunting fairly quickly. That is when I realized a coarser, toothier but refined edge has its place and its not always beneficial to take edges to high grit levels.

When I sharpen the mule I’ll bring this edge back to life and keep an eye on it.

I’m curious to hear others’ experiences with how their edges are lasting.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

blueblur wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:46 am
Interesting.

I took a 52100 blade up to a very high polish once and when running along a couple of those little air filled packaging “pillows”, the edge was blunting fairly quickly. That is when I realized a coarser, toothier but refined edge has its place and its not always beneficial to take edges to high grit levels.

When I sharpen the mule I’ll bring this edge back to life and keep an eye on it.

I’m curious to hear others’ experiences with how their edges are lasting.
Hmm, to me it kind of sounds like you're creating a wire edge which rolls over very easily. That's very easy to do when relying primarily on edge-trailing passes, and by the sounds of your progression, you do a lot of those. Granted, since you can't exactly use an edge-leading pass on a strop with soft substrate, you may want to try kicking the angle up ever-so-slightly--if you're doing this on a guided system, just increasing it by .5-1 degree should be adequate. This helps kind of "break" the wire off. If you do this in between grit transitions, and then on your finishing grit just keep the angle constant, I think it will probably mitigate pulling any wire out while also achieving the high apex refinement you're seeking. The downside is that it creates an ever-so-slight microbevel which makes it hard to determine--if it solves the issue--whether it was down to a wire edge or geometry.

I would try taking the edge down to the 600 and 1200 plates and do no stropping, but finish on them with edge-trailing strokes. If it's an issue of forming a wire edge, then there's a good chance you'll see the same rolling even when finishing on those and can rule out it being a difference between coarser and highly polished edges. On the other hand, finishing on 600/1200 with edge-trailing strokes might reduce a wire edge just by the effect of doing many less passes than when transitioning up through grit--the reason wire edges form is because we're basically drawing metal off of the plane of the bevel and into a strand sticking off the apex, almost akin to a spider drawing silk out of its spinnerets. That being the case, I would say to do as much edge-trailing finishing strokes on the 1200 grit as you would through the entire progression of grits, but being mindful to reduce pressure quite a bit. So for example, if you'd normally do 50 strokes on the 1200 grit, then 50 on the 1 micron, 50 on the .5 micron, and 50 on the .25 micron, just do 200 on the 1200 grit by reduce the pressure you're using by about half at every 50 stroke interval. If you end up with the same kind of rolling even finishing like this on the 1200 grit, then I'd say that would rule out it being the difference between low and high grit finishes.

The reason the wire edge theory seems so plausible to me is your anecdote about 52100 rolling after cutting into those plastic air pillows. To me, that signals that there is a very ductile wire hanging off of the apex, and if you're getting that on the 52100 blade as a result of your method/technique, it's reasonable to assume it's happening on the 15V too. The factor that would normally make me doubt a wire edge, however, is that they're typically a lot more common to encounter on softer, tougher steels because the ductility imparted into the wire created. Even on moderately hard and less tough steels, a wire edge is more likely to break off of the apex, and so with 15V not being that tough, and being hardened to 65 HRC in the Shaman, it's kind of hard to imagine creating one. On the other hand, one thing I have seen remarked on quite frequently about the 15V in these folders is that it is much easier to sharpen than most anticipated, so I could see that translating into it being as easy to create a wire edge on them than anticipated too.

Maybe we could get @Deadboxhero's opinion on this. He's surely a much more experienced sharpener than I am, and of course designed the heat-treat we're using on this steel, so he could poke holes in my theory if it's unsound, but that's my $0.02.