Shaman 15V, Bad QC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Shaman 15V, Bad QC

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:14 am
Regardless of what his plans are for the knives, that shouldn't matter to anyone here but him. What should matter is the potential issue with quality control.
we don't always agree, but we do here 100%. it doesn't matter if he wants to flip every one of them. there's no excuse for three copies of the same knife from a company like spyderco to not be basically identical and all good. there shouldn't be enough variation (or any issues for that matter) for someone to feel a need to post about problems with quality control.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 pm
Even if they are a flipper, why should you guys care? It’s not like they're hoarding them or destroying them specifically so no one else can have them. The people who want them still get them, they just pay a little more money for it. Think of it as a convenience fee - Fight the crowds to get one like they did or pay a little extra to browse freely and buy from them when it’s easy.

They probably haven’t responded again because they see everyone unnecessarily trash talking them. What would be the point?

God forbid anyone try to help. Nope, attack him because he bought more knives than you babies wanted him to buy. :eye-roll
Flipper talk... ;) (and I specifically avoid those BS "convenience fees" anywhere I come across them IRL)
Mushroom wrote:
Even if they are a flipper, why should you guys care? It’s not like they're hoarding them or destroying them specifically so no one else can have them. The people who want them still get them, they just pay a little more money for it. Think of it as a convenience fee - Fight the crowds to get one like they did or pay a little extra to browse freely and buy from them when it’s easy.

They probably haven’t responded again because they see everyone unnecessarily trash talking them. What would be the point?

God forbid anyone try to help. Nope, attack him because he bought more knives than you babies wanted him to buy. :eye-roll
Being a bit more serious, ONE person doesn't cause a problem, but when there's literally thousands of these kinds of people trying to buy them JUST to flip them for a profit, it hurts the community and discourages those who these sprint runs are intended for.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Flipper talk... ;)
Thinking about it. I could’ve bought numerous 15V Manix, PM2, and now Shaman. I don't even want them and yet I've still had ample opportunity to buy them. If someone really wants one and cant get one, they’re going to have to look elsewhere for sympathy because I don't have any for them.
- Nick :bug-red
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:31 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Flipper talk... ;)
Thinking about it. I could’ve bought numerous 15V Manix, PM2, and now Shaman. I don't even want them and yet I've still had ample opportunity to buy one. If someone really wants one and cant get one, they’re going to have to look elsewhere for sympathy because I don't have any for them.
Good for you. Some people have real jobs, and can't be online 24/7 for that magic random 30 seconds when a drop happens. I don't recall anyone asking for your sympathy. :thinking

Flippers are parasites, plain and simple. That's irrefutable. :yawn

dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:22 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Regardless of what his plans are for the knives, that shouldn't matter to anyone here but him. What should matter is the potential issue with quality control.
we don't always agree, but we do here 100%. it doesn't matter if he wants to flip every one of them. there's no excuse for three copies of the same knife from a company like spyderco to not be basically identical and all good. there shouldn't be enough variation (or any issues for that matter) for someone to feel a need to post about problems with quality control.
I have no dog in this "fight," but what flaw? The OP has not returned to identify the claimed flaw, that may not be the light spot on the G10, which could be nothing more than an artifact of the lighting in the photo.

(Yeah, I know, run on sentence. Grammar police, I'll come quietly :winking-tongue)
Last edited by dsvirsky on Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Good for you. Some people have real jobs, and can't be online 24/7 for that magic random 30 seconds when a drop happens. I don't recall anyone asking for your sympathy. :thinking

Lets pretend you guys aren’t just assuming the OP is a flipper - what if they're a legitimate knife user or collector who got this knife?

The photo is low quality but it clearly shows some sort of blemish on the scale. The photo quality makes it difficult to know what the blemish actually is, so we cant really tell if it’s permanent or if it could be cleaned off. It might be something they could resolve themselves or it might require sending the knife to Spyderco.

Lastly, even if they are a flipper, they're just as entitled to Spydercos warranty as anyone else who buys one of their knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's dry G10. Just needs a little moisture. You could probably rub the oil from your nose and wipe your finger on that scale and even out the color.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

feelings about flipping are irrelevant. if this guy just posted that he had a shaman sprint with some issues instead of saying he got three, would everyone here be treating this thread the same way? if anything, having three copies gives more credibility to the qc issue claim. these knives are too expensive and hard to get to have issues.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You know it's not just Spyderco. I have a terrible highly collectible Emerson Regiment #0013 BNIB I haven't been able to unload. So aweful I couldn't get $600 for it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Mushroom wrote:
Lots of unnecessary anger towards the OP.

Owning three of these knives does not automatically make anyone a flipper. Could very well be a collector or someone buying pre-need replacements. Maybe wants to keep one as a safe queen, one as a user, and re-sell the last one for a bit of a profit. (Because he can.)

OP, you could always contact Spydercos warranty and repair department to try and resolve the issue with them.

Warranty and repair info - https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

The photo you posted definitely shows a blemish on the scale but its difficult to really see what it is. I would recommend taking some higher quality photos that show the blemish better.
I agree completely. Flipper or not, the comments are totally unnecessary. The guy isn't stealing food from children, he's being accused of flipping a luxury item, which has no impact on anyone besides him and any potential buyers. If a collector buys 3 to keep in a safe, no one bats an eye.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I’m just glad it’s not one of those posts where someone tries to bully spyderco into giving them a new knife…i guess it could still be if OP comes back?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:21 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:

Lets pretend you guys aren’t just assuming the OP is a flipper - what if they're a legitimate knife user or collector who got this knife?

The photo is low quality but it clearly shows some sort of blemish on the scale. The photo quality makes it difficult to know what the blemish actually is, so we cant really tell if it’s permanent or if it could be cleaned off. It might be something they could resolve themselves or it might require sending the knife to Spyderco.

Lastly, even if they are a flipper, they're just as entitled to Spydercos warranty as anyone else who buys one of their knives.
No need for pretending or what-ifs here. It's pretty clear that OP is a flipper (post history, as previously mentioned), trying to unload a possibly less-than-perfect knife here in a sneaky fashion, which is why we're discussing it.

Sure, he could send it in and wait a few weeks to get it back. But that's more work than most flippers are accustomed to to make a quick $50-$100 just buy buying a knife and immediately re-selling it. That might, in fact, be too much work to make the effort worthwhile (and I'm laughing about it the entire time).

Shocked the thread is still here...

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:53 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:21 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:

https://studio.pinotspalette.com/tustin ... cheese.jpg

No need for pretending or what-ifs here. It's pretty clear that OP is a flipper (post history, as previously mentioned), trying to unload a possibly less-than-perfect knife here in a sneaky fashion, which is why we're discussing it.

Sure, he could send it in and wait a few weeks to get it back. But that's more work than most flippers are accustomed to to make a quick $50-$100 just buy buying a knife and immediately re-selling it. That might, in fact, be too much work to make the effort worthwhile (and I'm laughing about it the entire time).

Shocked the thread is still here...
One thing is for certain, you're not helping this thread at all. Quite the opposite actually. All because of a made up grudge you have with the OP.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:05 pm
One thing is for certain, you're not helping this thread at all. Quite the opposite actually. All because of a made up grudge you have with the OP.
Another thing is for certain, you're clearly not getting "it". ',:-|

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I have no qualms and don't like repeating myself, but
again, I'll say use this example. Sell the other two, and if the cosmetic issue really bothers you that much, ship it back to the mothership and they can easily clean up the G10 without fear of losing your knife...
So it goes.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Mushroom wrote:

A good portion of that crowd you're claiming they're offering the convenience of avoiding is comprised of the flippers themselves buying them all up before others who want to actually enjoy/utilize the good for its intended purpose have the chance. It's manufactured scarcity. People did this crap during the pandemic with essential goods, and laws had to be created/enforced to ensure people could still get those essential items. The behavior is still just as exploitative, the effect is just not harmful since it's a luxury item. But things can still be shameful without being harmful. The consensus at large is that people who pull this with essential items should be criminally prosecuted, and that people who do it with luxury goods should at least be lambasted.

I don't think your name-calling people who recognize this babies is any more helpful than those rebuking the OP. I agree that acknowledging and addressing QC issues benefits us all whether they're experienced by a scalper or not, but you could have just as easily pointed that out without disseminating your views about flipping just as well as you're asserting everyone else could have.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:05 pm
Another thing is for certain, you're clearly not getting "it". ',:-|
No, I get “it” just fine. I just have a different opinion than you. Don’t let it hurt your feelings.
kennbr34 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:52 pm
Mushroom wrote:

A good portion of that crowd you're claiming they're offering the convenience of avoiding is comprised of the flippers themselves buying them all up before others who want to actually enjoy/utilize the good for its intended purpose have the chance. It's manufactured scarcity. People did this crap during the pandemic with essential goods, and laws had to be created/enforced to ensure people could still get those essential items. The behavior is still just as exploitative, the effect is just not harmful since it's a luxury item. But things can still be shameful without being harmful. The consensus at large is that people who pull this with essential items should be criminally prosecuted, and that people who do it with luxury goods should at least be lambasted.

I don't think your name-calling people who recognize this babies is any more helpful than those rebuking the OP. I agree that acknowledging and addressing QC issues benefits us all whether they're experienced by a scalper or not, but you could have just as easily pointed that out without disseminating your views about flipping just as well as you're asserting everyone else could have.
I don’t care what the consensus at large is and I also don’t care if someone wants to flip knives for a profit. Your petition for mob mentality is absolutely laughable.

You’re right, calling people babies for crying about someone else owning three examples of one knife doesn’t help the OP but again I don’t care. I’ll say it again, a lot of you guys are acting like babies because someone owns three 15V Shamans.

In case you missed it though, I’m one of, if not, the only people here to offer any remotely useful advice to the OP. So spare me “no, shame on you” crap.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:13 pm
So spare me “no, shame on you” crap.
Don't let it hurt your feelings.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

kennbr34 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Good advice! :winking-tongue :grin-squint
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mushroom wrote:
No, I get “it” just fine. I just have a different opinion than you. Don’t let it hurt your feelings.
Haha, I have thicker skin than that. The only one being emotional here is you. Why defend parasitic practices? They're harmful, simple as that. It is clearly wrong, doesn't matter if it's an essential good or a luxury one. Are you a closet flipper maybe? :zany
kennbr34 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Lol, right? :rofl