Manix 2 LW scales question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Manix 2 LW scales question...

Post by jmj3esq »

Im looking at a Manix 2 Leight Weight S110V. Problem is I hate the factory FRN scales. Can the FRN scales be replaced with aftermarket scales like the G10 model can? I have no idea if the new FRN knives have liners or not. Any help would be nice.
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 LW scales question...

Post by Wartstein »

No liners in the Manix 2 LW (actually FRCP scales , not FRN).
And no aftermarket scales, as far as I know (would actually be a whole aftermarket HANDLE anyway)

Additionally, you might get a pinned (and not screwed) model, which would make disassembly a lot harder anyway (Spyderco is changing the Manix 2 LW from pinned to screwed construction right now)

I' d give the FRCP scales a try! They are great - light, but really rigid and sturdy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have Manix 2 models in G10, I have various PM2 models, and I have a couple of different Manix 2 LW models including the S110V model. The LW models have become my favorites. If you don't like the LW scales you can get the Manix 2 with G10 scales and S110V steel, and you can swap the scales on that one for any other Manix 2 scales whether Spyderco G10 or aftermarket.
If you really want to you can swap the FRCP scales for FRCP scales of another color. You have to drill out the old rivets and find the appropriate size of new screws for reassembly.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I love the FCRP scales. I'd like FRN even better!

It's possible to replace the FCRP scales with G-10 or metal, but it's an involved process that requires a G-10 Manix to cannibalize for a component that the Manix LW doesn't have. The result can be awesome, but it's expensive unless you have a spare Manix lying around. I learned this the hard way.