Native 5 frn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
piratebob53

Native 5 frn

Post by piratebob53 »

Love the way it fits my hand but action so stiff it’s almost a two handed open. Cleaned, lubed, worked it hundreds of times. Is there a mod like thin washers or another solution?
Michael Janich

Re: Native 5 frn

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear piratebob53:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The Native 5 design has a concentric tang and no "hump." Those features make its opening action a more deliberate effort.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

piratebob53 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:44 am
Love the way it fits my hand but action so stiff it’s almost a two handed open. Cleaned, lubed, worked it hundreds of times. Is there a mod like thin washers or another solution?
Which Native 5 version do you have. Is it G10, FRN ? Which steel is the blade made off ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Something's not right. I have several (10?) Native 5s and I wouldn't consider any of them to be two-handed openers. They're all very smooth and reasonably easy to roll out with my thumb

Something to keep in mind about back locks in general is that the lock bar is under spring tension and it puts constant pressure on the blade tang. So they'll never open up as easily as most other lock types
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My native 5 salt is harder to open then other frn native 5s I have handled.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

My carbon fiber Native 5 opens with a properly placed yet stiff upward thumb motion. Just barely, but I can do it. I would figure the FRN knives would be smoother.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Did you loosen the pivot screw? I adjust the pivot screw to my liking on every new Spyderco. All it takes it a tiny barely perceptible twist in one direction or the other to loosen or tighten. Grab a torx and dial it in.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Brant

Post by Brant »

My Native is tight too, I was thinking it needed broken in a little. It’s the Rex45 with the DLC blade, would or should that matter? I did loosen the pivot screws, helped a little.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Pivot too tight.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just so we're all on the same page...is this about opening N5's in general or are you concerned that they're hard to flick open? Because there's a big difference between being able open a knife by rolling the blade out with your thumb and being able to flick it open with your thumb or middle finger. I'm guessing here but I probably have 50-ish Spyderco back lock knives. They're all fairly easy to open by rolling the blade out with my thumb but there's only a couple that I can actually flick open. I don't even try to flick open by back locks because I think it's hard on the lock but I couldn't anyway even if I really wanted to. It's just easier for me to open them as with my thumb.

I think I've only had to loosen the pivot a tiny bit on a couple but, I agree with the others, that's the first thing I'd check
Brant wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:51 pm
My Native is tight too, I was thinking it needed broken in a little. It’s the Rex45 with the DLC blade, would or should that matter? I did loosen the pivot screws, helped a little.
I have one of the recent REX45 N5LWs with the white FRN and DLC blade. It opens just fine like all the other N5s I have
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Brant

Post by Brant »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:29 pm
Just so we're all on the same page...is this about opening N5's in general or are you concerned that they're hard to flick open? Because there's a big difference between being able open a knife by rolling the blade out with your thumb and being able to flick it open with your thumb or middle finger. I'm guessing here but I probably have 50-ish Spyderco back lock knives. They're all fairly easy to open by rolling the blade out with my thumb but there's only a couple that I can actually flick open. I don't even try to flick open by back locks because I think it's hard on the lock but I couldn't anyway even if I really wanted to. It's just easier for me to open them as with my thumb.

I think I've only had to loosen the pivot a tiny bit on a couple but, I agree with the others, that's the first thing I'd check
Brant wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:51 pm
I have one of the recent REX45 N5LWs with the white FRN and DLC blade. It opens just fine like all the other N5s I have
I believe I have the same one, the “stormtrooper” as some call it. It’s my first and only N5 also. No flick, the resistance must be all the back lock. The blade drops when the lock is pushed in. I wasn’t sure if these were flickable, great knife beside that.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I've got more than a handful of N5's. They can be flicked but require considerable effort, effort I'm not willing to expend. But none are so stiff that they can't be easily rolled open with my thumb. I'm still thinking hard of ordering another Rex45 before they are gone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Everything Mike said is spot on (of course it would be, he'd know).

The lack of thumb ramp makes a really big difference here, it changes the distance your thumb travels and the leverage you get on the hole. This knife also has a very strong close bias. If you compare it to a Rock Jumper the difference is pretty significant. The action should still be smooth, and on all of mine I have no problem dialing in the pivot screw to eliminate side play and still have the blade drop with gravity when you press the lock. After a while you get used to the opening action, think of it like lifting weights for your thumb lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

If you're coming from using knives with ball-bearings or spring assists or crossbar-style locks, I imagine the Native 5 Lightweight can feel a tad stiff to open. But you'll get used to and come to appreciate it over time. I've owned 8 different Natives over the years and I'm at the point where I can easily "Spydie-flick" them open with my middle finger even with their pivots at more-or-less factory tightness (and obviously, slow-rolling them open with my thumb presents no issues at all).
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

My Manix 2 LW was like that when I got it.
It has loosened up a bit and I can do the flick and reverse flick.
One handed blade closure can be tricky some times but I'm getting the hand of the CBBL.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The Spydercos with the Spydieholes that are more in line with the centerline require a little more English to thumb flick. Just cock your wrist in towards your gut and then un-cock outwards forcibly as you thumb flick. Just requires different technique is all..