Does the CBBL spring compress over time?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Does the CBBL spring compress over time?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:50 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:20 pm
that's ocd4edc that sells that along with kits that have springs, ball cages, and bearings. i think most of the perceived break-in period people talk about with manix springs is really their fingers getting stronger from continued use.
I think you’re right.
When I got my first Manix 2 it was a bear to open so I clipped a few coils. About 2yrs later I got my second M2 and it was easy to open right out of the box. So even with the lighter spring my hand must have gotten stronger.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

My Manix was sticking something fierce. I took it apart and found that the ball made an indentation in the front upper spacer that it rests on. I put in a ceramic ball and it helped a lot. Then I took it apart again since there was chatter when pulling back the lock. The machining on that same surface was very rough. I stoned it out with some diamond and now it releases well and does not chatter. The ceramic ball had cut a little groove so it did not stick anymore. The ball now slides in a gutter. It cannot roll in the gutter as the top is against metal as well. So it slides out. The ball has to indent if there is force on the blade. A ball has only point contact so any force appears to be Infinite PSI. Infinite PSI is relieved by having the ball make an indent in whatever is softer, the blade or that top strap. In the case of the 15V the top strap is softer. No idea what indents on softer heat treated blades.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the manix spring is perfect. It might seem more difficult for people who arent used to the knife, but once you get used to it the spring is perfect.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the Manix spring. I wouldn't want lighter tension.

When unlocking, I use my thumb and index finger at the same time. I could do it with only the thumb. But I like to keep the pulling force on the tabs equal on both sides. Same with BM's Axis locks; I like to unlock using even force on both sides.

Jim
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:16 am
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:07 am
I tried 8 different Manix models and detested the lock on every one. Sold them all. I thought that the lock was so difficult to operate that it made the knife somewhat unsafe. I would love to love the knife and I might try one more time the compression lock is just so perfect, the back lock so solid, and the liner lock so simple to operate I just can’t justify a knife that I fight to close.

Really weird how differently the CBBL feels to some (no offense meant!!) - can't be only finger strength, must be technique too imo.
On each of the four Manixes I've tried it was no problem at all to activate the lock with just ONE finger... :thinking
There's also a hand size factor. I've had friends with small hands who simply cannot close the knife one-handed because they can't get the proper leverage on the handle to provide the counter-force necessary to actuate the lock.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:15 am
Just stirring the pot here.....

Bolt Action Lock > CBBL
I'm in this camp, too. Keep stirring the pot David. :winking-tongue