Buy, sell, trade, page?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Buy, sell, trade, page?

Post by jmj3esq »

I'm just wondering if a buy, sell, trade, page, has ever been discussed here at the Spyderco Forum? I hate ebay and that's about the only place to find badass, rare, knives. We all know the competition and price you have to pay using ebay and the many fees you end up paying if you sell there. It would be wonderful to have a BST page here where we have trustworthy (usually) people with lots of the knives we love and avoid all the fees associated with ebay. Being able to sell/trade them to other forum members would be great. Has this been debated in the past?
Wartstein

Re: Buy, sell, trade, page?

Post by Wartstein »

I guess this has been discussed for sure, but there still is the clear rule "no selling / buying" on the forum.

And I personally think this is a good thing and should remain as it is.

First and foremost, people who actually just or mainly want to sell knives get not attracted to register here in the first place

And potential conflicts between members are avoided and that helps to keep the constructive and respectful atmosphere here.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... but there is the "Spyderco swap" on reddit, see here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89177#p1505709

It is just for trading (not for selling) though as far as I know and I am not sure if new members can register at the moment, since Vivi, the creator of the "swap" is absent from this forum since the beginning of 2023
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 am
I'm just wondering if a buy, sell, trade, page, has ever been discussed here at the Spyderco Forum? I hate ebay and that's about the only place to find badass, rare, knives. We all know the competition and price you have to pay using ebay and the many fees you end up paying if you sell there. It would be wonderful to have a BST page here where we have trustworthy (usually) people with lots of the knives we love and avoid all the fees associated with ebay. Being able to sell/trade them to other forum members would be great. Has this been debated in the past?
Please check Forum rules , it has all the information you need on this subject . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

This is already being done on another sites where Sal himself is a moderator. This site has a modest membership fee and I can affirm having bought there it is a true gem for the knife community.

It is my opinion since Sal is well aware of this other site / forum that has to do with blades "Hint, Hint" that there is no need for another doing the same thing.

Competition without profit is a waste of resources and Spyderco's primary business is manufacturing, the forum is just a bonus for us Spyderco KNife KNuts.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 am
I'm just wondering if a buy, sell, trade, page, has ever been discussed here at the Spyderco Forum?

There is a Facebook group titled "Spyderco Knives."
Friendly folks, no game playing, no fees.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:41 am
This is already being done on another sites where Sal himself is a moderator.

Perhaps someone can clarify.
Does Sal actually moderate the "For Sale" area of that web site?
Or is his involvement limited to just one of the hundred-or-so subforums that deals specifically with the Spyderco brand? It's always been my impression that it's the latter. I could be mistaken.

One thing's for certain: THIS forum, the REAL Spyderco Forum, is the best place for all things Spyderco.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:45 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

Or is his involvement limited to just one of the hundred-or-so subforums that deals specifically with the Spyderco brand? It's always been my impression that it's the latter. I could be mistaken.

One thing's for certain: THIS forum, the REAL Spyderco Forum, is the best place for all things Spyderco.
I don't see much moderation of the buy sell as most people there are adults not needing corrections to their behavior. Maybe Sal will answer your question?
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wartstein, the Reddit spydercoswap is for sales as well, but there is not a lot of activity there.

As far as I know, sal moderates the Spyderco Sub Forum on Bladeforums, but has nothing to do with the Knife Exchange portion.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:45 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

I believe it is that latter as well as I have had to contact mods for one reason or another about something to do with the exchange.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m not a member but I hear good things about these folks:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/milliepm2p3club/
sal

Post by sal »

I don't really pay much attention to activity outside of the spyderco sub forum on Bladeforums.

On the British forum (Edge matters), which is another really civil forum, I mostly stay in the Spyderco ongoing thread, as there is not a Spyderco subforum.

sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

BeggarSo wrote:
I agree. Selling in the knife world is not in the best interests of the theme of this site. Go to the other site to buy/sell. I've been on the other site for a long time and selling brings out a bad side of some people that wouldn't be good for this site.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:27 pm
Wartstein, the Reddit spydercoswap is for sales as well, but there is not a lot of activity there.

Thanks!

I can recall that originally it was planned and started out as a site just for swaps, not for selling.
For me both is fine, actually now that I know selling is possible I´ll probably visit the site again (am already a "member")

Wonder though if Vivi (creator of the site, he also used to approve new members) is still present there, since he is not on this forum these days.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

:worried He is there. I'm guessing he made a New Year's resolution to get away from here, and I can also guess some of the reasons. :-||
Not you, by the way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:11 am
:worried He is there. I'm guessing he made a New Year's resolution to get away from here, and I can also guess some of the reasons. :-||
Not you, by the way.

Thanks!

Yeah, I made that new-years-resolution-guess myself in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94136#p1688965)

I can guess reasons for that too and know it´s not me ;)