An ode to the compression lock.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vandelay

Re: An ode to the compression lock.

Post by vandelay »

This doesn't get brought up much, but comp locks (as well as liner/frame) are some of the easiest knives to disassemble. No springs that want to pop out once the screws are gone.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

For me, I think the compression lock simply offers the best fast, worry-free one-handed opening and closing. The vast majority of my knife tasks involve taking the blade out, making a quick cut, then putting it away, all with one hand and as quickly as is safely possible. Cutting things is mostly a time-saving measure in my day-to-day life so I prefer a lock that lets me cut things using the least amount of time, and the compression lock is it for me.

I can see how it's maybe not the best lock if you are expecting to use the blade for a lot of extended cutting (it can create a hot spot on some designs), but I don't really use a knife like that very frequently, and if I'm anticipating it I might just decide to bring a fixed blade instead, as they tend to have better ergos for extended cutting anyways.

In regards to liner locks: I think Spyderco does an excellent job of designing safe-to-use liner locks. I see a lot of other companies put out designs that does nothing to protect the closing finger from the blade, which I think is especially egregious on knives with bearings, and I usually think of those companies as designing more for aesthetic than function (IMO ZT is very guilty of this).
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

vandelay wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:50 pm
This doesn't get brought up much, but comp locks (as well as liner/frame) are some of the easiest knives to disassemble. No springs that want to pop out once the screws are gone.
Yep. I still have nightmares about the time I put a new ball cage in a Manix. 😂
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Foehammer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:56 pm
vandelay wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:50 pm
Yep. I still have nightmares about the time I put a new ball cage in a Manix. 😂
Yeah I'm hoping to never have to open up my manix. I love the lock but I'm scared of it.
Back locks can be bad too. There are plenty of videos of Nick Shabazz struggling to get the lock bar back in :grin-squint . I've only done dragonflies and ladybugs so far which aren't too bad.