Forum Knife???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Forum Knife???

Post by Bolster »

Bonus: Anyone who writes in the comments: "Bolster is the unofficial pollster of Spyderco!" gets their vote to count double. JUST KIDDING! I don't mess with data, as long as it doesn't mess with me; that's an analyst's creedo.

Since the poll is set to Instant Results, all can see how the polling is going, and I guess we just let it run until Sal cries "Uncle!"

Good idea above for separate thread announce ^ will do.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great job Bolster ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Actually I'm rather proud of the forum on this project. We pulled together and got the poll up and running as a collab...it wasn't like herding cats at all...it was more like herding penguins...which as everyone knows, is easy. Thanks for all the fast and salient input. And thanks for the chuckles along the way.

JSumm, no more Manix novels written into the comments section, OK? I think you choked the survey program when it launched. I can see a dozen Survey Monkey goons walking around in black suits outside my window, they're on to me...I think some of them are armed with CAT-5 cables...if they catch me, you can bet I'm gonna squeal, and send them YOUR way.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:51 pm
Actually I'm rather proud of the forum on this project....

You did a good job, Bolster... except for that now I can find neither that VG 10 ffg SE Endura nor a chocolate-cookie-blade choice in your finalized poll...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent work! I missed all this til the poll was up, somehow…. A SPY27 UKPK would be fan-bloomin’- tastic!

If I can paraphrase Joseph Stalin - “It’s not who votes that counts, it’s who counts the votes”!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

There's nothing that says you have to be a forum member, to buy a forum knife, is there? Certainly sales are not limited to ONLY forum members?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Dadgummit Bolster, we are going to get that Manix. Tomorrow I'll vote again for the Caly 3.5 in SPY27 with blue G10 and then, then we go full speed for a VG-10 serrated blade Endura. I just have to get my selfish requests out first.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm
There's nothing that says you have to be a forum member, to buy a forum knife, is there? Certainly sales are not limited to ONLY forum members?
I am all for everyone getting a shot at one. I was around during the 2013 Forum knife era and that discussion got really ugly as far as members deciding who “deserved” one and whatnot. Pretty much the only time I ever read anything even close to negativity on this forum.
msum

Post by msum »

To throw the cat amongst the pigeons, how about a Sage 5 forum knife?!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

msum wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:12 pm
I think that is a great suggestion. I would love that. I believe Sal was trying to make it available to a larger crowd that may live in areas where a locking knife is not allowed. So as much as I personally would prefer a locking model, I think to better represent the forum as a whole a slip joint is ideal.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Done👊✌️
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Btw-great job Bolster👍
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Thanks for the work on this, Bolster!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

msum wrote:
JSumm wrote:
msum wrote:
I think that is a great suggestion. I would love that. I believe Sal was trying to make it available to a larger crowd that may live in areas where a locking knife is not allowed. So as much as I personally would prefer a locking model, I think to better represent the forum as a whole a slip joint is ideal.
To sum up the Sum(m)s,
Sal pretty much narrowed it down to slip joints and Golden production, so UKPK and Lil' Native slippie is what's realistically on the table.
I think those are reasonable requests/limitations. It's easy to imagine that Spyderco has more control over the Golden production line and as such can more easily and smoothly squeeze in a small batch without excessive overhead and administration.
And, since most here don't actually need another knife for anything, making sure it's legal and accessible to more members isn't too much to ask.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Just to add, my own rationale here is pretty slim as well.
At this point I'm very much set on getting the magnacut UKPK when it hits the shelves, and since I don't really need any slippies at all, getting two versions of the same model is quite ridiculous.
I voted for a drop point UKPK, that way it will be a little unique, with both steel and handle material, and possibly blade shape setting the two apart. This might even be my only shot at Spy27, if I'm really grasping for slivers of justification.
Most of all it's to do something with and for this community. Somebody has to commit to buy this thing if the project is ever to get off the ground.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it is great that Spyderco is picking a model that doesn’t exclude anybody.

I don’t have to deal with any restrictions and small slip joints aren’t really my thing. I’m gonna sit this one out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Matus

Post by Matus »

I know the following will most likely never happen and I don't mean to irritate Sal or anyone else, but ...

...after receiving the Centofante 3, I can not help but think how lovely Sprint or Forum knife (Spy27 and Cobalt-Blue FRN handle) it would make. The knife is so elegant and has such a great ergonomics, that whatever little imperfections it has seem to play no role.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
msum

Post by msum »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:27 am
msum wrote:
JSumm wrote:
msum wrote:
To sum up the Sum(m)s,
Sal pretty much narrowed it down to slip joints and Golden production, so UKPK and Lil' Native slippie is what's realistically on the table.
I think those are reasonable requests/limitations. It's easy to imagine that Spyderco has more control over the Golden production line and as such can more easily and smoothly squeeze in a small batch without excessive overhead and administration.
And, since most here don't actually need another knife for anything, making sure it's legal and accessible to more members isn't too much to ask.
Yeah, agreed. I was just taking a moment to make a selfish, unrealistic suggestion (hence the cat amongst the pigeons).

Very reasonable to try to be inclusive of many different markets. Makes business sense and is in the spirit of the forum, I reckon.

Completely off topic, but is there a strong community of locking folding knife enthusiasts in UK? Do they just use them at their own risk and/or just collect and store them?
msum

Post by msum »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:27 am
msum wrote:
JSumm wrote:
msum wrote:
To sum up the Sum(m)s,
Speaking of arithmetic, I won’t resist the urge to say that you really got our number.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 am
Just to add, my own rationale here is pretty slim as well.
At this point I'm very much set on getting the magnacut UKPK when it hits the shelves, and since I don't really need any slippies at all, getting two versions of the same model is quite ridiculous.
I voted for a drop point UKPK, that way it will be a little unique, with both steel and handle material, and possibly blade shape setting the two apart. This might even be my only shot at Spy27, if I'm really grasping for slivers of justification.
Most of all it's to do something with and for this community. Somebody has to commit to buy this thing if the project is ever to get off the ground.
Your rationale has much merit. I, too, voted for a UKPK drop point and will absolutely be getting the MagnaCut UKPK when it drops. Here we have an opportunity to ask for something special. In fact, I dare say that Sal is actually inviting us to ask for something special. For me that would be a UKPK Drop Point with a high performance high hollow grind.