Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwbnyc

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by jwbnyc »

I inspected mine. The blade is definitely in contact with the lanyard tube. The blade itself doesn’t exhibit much damage, if any. I’ve examined it at 10x. Can’t quite convince myself there is any damage there. Yet. I don’t let the blade fall shut so maybe that’s protecting the blade somewhat, but there are definitely marks on the tube from the blade. Not sending it in at this time. Just going to keep an eye on it, and continue to close it carefully.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Maybe they could put one serration right where the blade contacts the tube.. 😂
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Oh man. This knife was instantly filtered out as a non-interesting knife to me when it was announced. I haven't even looked at this thread until today, after I saw it in a KC video. For its size it just looked so nimble. And while the blade is stupidly large, the handle seems barely larger than a regular S2 (which I also have totally dismissed for having handle that seems oversized, for my hand and the blade length).
Seeing, thanks to this thread, how slim it is compared to the Chief just further inhibits my the rational part of my brain to come online.
Not sure what's happening here.. I mostly carry DF2 to Delica sized knives, but here we are, only 4 days into the new year and the first two knives that are grabbing my attention is this one and the SNK Millie. Both expensive, with no apparent use case and totally too large. Probably both in the ergonomical sense and the practical sense. This ain't lookin' too good.
cjk

Post by cjk »

CDEP wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:51 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:28 pm
:-|| Mine has some edge damage from the lanyard tube as well.

I'd eat it if it wasnt a $300 knife. But in this case I think I'll be sending it to warranty for a replacement. Bummer.
I'd be interested to know if it is fixable under warranty, or if the fix will need to be a CQI in the future. Mine has this, as well, and it has put a tiny chip in the blade (really tiny, like can't see it without a loupe). I'm kind of hoping it will go away after a few sharpenings, and it certainly has zero impact on the cutting performance, so I'm hanging on to mine for now.
I do not speak for Spyderco and may be completely off base, but it seems to me there are a few ways to work around this from a warranty and repair perspective:
1.) remove the lanyard tube entirely.
2.) file down the lanyard tube so it doesn't interfere.
3.) sharpen the blade until it doesn't touch the lanyard tube

I would suspect that #3 is the best solution for warranty and repair as it doesn't require disassembling the knife. Sharpening knives is a regular part of being a knife company. There is minimal to zero training required to execute.

One might argue that filing down the lanyard tube a little doesn't require disassembly, but there's only 3mm of space to work with between the liners. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in the execution of that solution myself. I 'm just not certain that I could carry that out without nicking the inside of the liners with whatever tools I might try to use. This might also be kinda ugly if one looks at the inside of their folding knife.

#1 would be my favorite, but is probably the most time consuming.

As far as CQI goes, there are more options to prevent future versions from having the issue, but the simplest one would be to just not have the metal lanyard tube. Just don't have that part. Problem solved. Old G-10 Enduras and Delicas didn't have it.
The other two W+R solutions would work for assembly too. Filing down part of the lanyard tube makes for a round part that has to go in a certain way, so that complicates assembly a little.

Otherwise, I guess the blade or lock bar could be redesigned . Either the lock bar gets a little thicker where the kick/choil meets it or the choil gets just a little bigger too. I would see these as $10,000 answers to a $50 problem though (dollar amounts obviously made up).
Last edited by cjk on Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:08 am
Oh man. This knife was instantly filtered out as a non-interesting knife to me when it was announced. I haven't even looked at this thread until today, after I saw it in a KC video. For its size it just looked so nimble. And while the blade is stupidly large, the handle seems barely larger than a regular S2 (which I also have totally dismissed for having handle that seems oversized, for my hand and the blade length).
Seeing, thanks to this thread, how slim it is compared to the Chief just further inhibits my the rational part of my brain to come online.
Not sure what's happening here.. I mostly carry DF2 to Delica sized knives, but here we are, only 4 days into the new year and the first two knives that are grabbing my attention is this one and the SNK Millie. Both expensive, with no apparent use case and totally too large. Probably both in the ergonomical sense and the practical sense. This ain't lookin' too good.
To be really honest, the Stretch 2 XL is bada$$. I really dig it. :smiling-heart-eyes
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yes all of those things would work, but it would then be a modified knife. I paid $300 for a new knife, in working order. This knife has a defect. I would like it replaced with what I paid for.

And I agree, the knife is awesome, and this issue doesn't detract from me loving the design.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI got mine as soon as we’re available. Thought I would post my example which has seen quite a bit of pocket time since I two knife daily . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:21 pm
Yes all of those things would work, but it would then be a modified knife. I paid $300 for a new knife, in working order. This knife has a defect. I would like it replaced with what I paid for.

And I agree, the knife is awesome, and this issue doesn't detract from me loving the design.
Agree 100%. Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday. I hate that it’s become the luck of the draw as far as receiving defects goes.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

After seeing others with the lanyard tube issue, I was shocked to notice that my example was doing the same thing! Not really a huge deal since it was a simple fix, but at the same time it kind of is a big deal considering the price.

Anyway, i fixed it by simply removing the tube. Doesn’t need to be there. I will say it does take a fair bit of finagling to separate it from the liners as the ends are flared out.
Attachments
8A47FD40-DB10-46B8-BDA0-5BEFA8E2B75D.jpeg
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:18 pm
Anyway, i fixed it by simply removing the tube. Doesn’t need to be there. I will say it does take a fair bit of finagling to separate it from the liners as the ends are flared out.
Did this require full disassembly?
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:28 am
PeanutButterFan wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:18 pm
Did this require full disassembly?
Yes
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder if this is why they haven't shown up at DLT and other large dealers yet? Trying to fix this issue hopefully.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Just received mine and the blade looks fine. Very sharp. I put a small piece of paper across the lanyard tube and closed the blade multiple times letting it drop into place and did not get any marks on the paper. But there isn't much space between the blade and the tube when looking at it. This specimen came from the SFO. The knife is very well done and I am totally pleased. Easily the slimmest Spyderco I own.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:04 pm
I wonder if this is why they haven't shown up at DLT and other large dealers yet? Trying to fix this issue hopefully.
DLT is pretty far down the dealer list, from what I gather. Also, I don’t think here nearly as large as BHQ or Knife Center. They’re my preferred dealer, and I usually wait a few extra weeks (sometimes months) for them to receive stock of new models.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:04 pm
DLT is pretty far down the dealer list, from what I gather. Also, I don’t think here nearly as large as BHQ or Knife Center. They’re my preferred dealer, and I usually wait a few extra weeks (sometimes months) for them to receive stock of new models.
Maybe Josh can answer this question. I did get a notification it was in stock and immediately checked and no stock available . I got mine from a dealer recommended by Beau which had them in stock . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Oldtiguy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Brian
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

While the lanyard tube issue must be quite a disappointment to anyone receiving an expensive and highly anticipated knife, to me it’s also a sign that Spyderco is trying to push the envelope and give us the most blade possible. I really like that.
It’s unfortunate that it seems to need a little settling time before design, production tolerances and QC is completely matched, but I hope Spyderco didn’t get scared by this and continue to push designs to the limit rather than play it safe.
I’ll say it again. This knife is so far outside my wheelhouse, but it still manages to intrigue me to the point I’m likely to buy it. Even at European prices. And this issue doesn’t scare me, weirdly it’s having almost the opposite effect.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:59 am
While the lanyard tube issue must be quite a disappointment to anyone receiving an expensive and highly anticipated knife, to me it’s also a sign that Spyderco is trying to push the envelope and give us the most blade possible. I really like that.
It’s unfortunate that it seems to need a little settling time before design, production tolerances and QC is completely matched, but I hope Spyderco didn’t get scared by this and continue to push designs to the limit rather than play it safe.
I’ll say it again. This knife is so far outside my wheelhouse, but it still manages to intrigue me to the point I’m likely to buy it. Even at European prices. And this issue doesn’t scare me, weirdly it’s having almost the opposite effect.
It was a toss up for me between the Stretch XL and the Manix2 Sprint . The dealer I got mine from on request before purchase thoroughly checked over the Stretch XL before shipment . He even called and asked if I was happy with the example . I’m glad Spyderco came out with this variation , I have carried it a lot . I hope this issue can be resolved and hope you enjoy one in the future . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:48 am
It was a toss up for me between the Stretch XL and the Manix2 Sprint . The dealer I got mine from on request before purchase thoroughly checked over the Stretch XL before shipment . He even called and asked if I was happy with the example . I’m glad Spyderco came out with this variation , I have carried it a lot . I hope this issue can be resolved and hope you enjoy one in the future . Dan
I think I’m going to call DLT when they get them in stock and ask for the same service.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.