Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cycletroll

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by Cycletroll »

Mine is out for delivery!
cjk

Post by cjk »

He arrived today!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:53 pm
He arrived today!
Post up some thoughts. Excited to see what you think. I know it is a little larger than you normally carry.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

;) ImageMG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
miohin

Post by miohin »

I was really not considering one of these due to the price, but now that I'm seeing the pics.... Maybe in a few years.
Lurker
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Question for those of you who have the new XL:
How is the grind symmetry? The one I just received has very uneven bevels. It is nice e and thin at .013BTE but the secondary bevel is twice as wide one side to the other!
Primary grind is visibly off center. Jas a bit of vertical lock play too. Otherwise fit n' finish is pretty good.
Given the price I'm considering returning it.
(Pics coming)
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:28 am
cjk wrote:
He arrived today!
Post up some thoughts. Excited to see what you think. I know it is a little larger than you normally carry.
While I do carry a wharncliffe Delica most often (almost always coupled with a swiss army knife), I do carry an Endura, Endela, or wharnie PM2 sometimes, so it's not all that much larger (in other words, it's not much of a stretch, lol). The choil is great. It's a bit wider in the pocket than an Endura, but not objectionably so. I really dig the full liner+steel backspacer+G-10 construction. All of the Spyderco knives of that construction which I've experienced feel bank vault solid. I'm pretty sure it's the same thickness as a G-10 Endura, but it feels thinner to me. I'm thinking this is an illusion based on its longer and 'wider in the pocket' dimensions.
rgc

Post by rgc »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:18 am
How is the grind symmetry? The one I just received has very uneven bevels. It is nice e and thin at .013BTE but the secondary bevel is twice as wide one side to the other!
Primary grind is visibly off center. Jas a bit of vertical lock play too. Otherwise fit n' finish is pretty good.
(Pics coming)
Just looked at mine and one bevel is wider than the other. Didn't even notice until you mentioned it but there it is. Now I will attempt not to look at it as the rest of the knife is perfect and would not want to return it for another. In fact I am believe this has replaced my Native Chief as my favorite Spyderco.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
cjk wrote:
He arrived today!
While I do carry a wharncliffe Delica most often (almost always coupled with a swiss army knife), I do carry an Endura, Endela, or wharnie PM2 sometimes, so it's not all that much larger (in other words, it's not much of a stretch, lol). The choil is great. It's a bit wider in the pocket than an Endura, but not objectionably so. I really dig the full liner+steel backspacer+G-10 construction. All of the Spyderco knives of that construction which I've experienced feel bank vault solid. I'm pretty sure it's the same thickness as a G-10 Endura, but it feels thinner to me. I'm thinking this is an illusion based on its longer and 'wider in the pocket' dimensions.
Nice, sounds like a winner all around. Looks great to with that construction.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:42 pm
cjk wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
cjk wrote:
He arrived today!
Nice, sounds like a winner all around. Looks great to with that construction.

I went and measured and it IS a little thinner than my G-10 Endura by a little over 1mm. The G-10 is a little thinner on the Stretch 2 XL. the blade stock and liner thickness appear to be the same.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

rgc wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
(Pics coming)
Just looked at mine and one bevel is wider than the other. Didn't even notice until you mentioned it but there it is. Now I will attempt not to look at it as the rest of the knife is perfect and would not want to return it for another. In fact I am believe this has replaced my Native Chief as my favorite Spyderco.
Ooh! Sorry for bringing your attention to it!! I'm on the fence about as I'm not generally a stickler for perfection but the price on this one is up there!! I'll probably just keep it as the edge geometry is great.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Mine came and is really well built, well centered, tight lock, etc. on the right hand side at the tip the bevel is uneven, likely because the person sharpening it really increased the angle as they got towards the tip. Nothing I won’t take out the first time I sharpen it, it will just make it take longer to take off the extra steel on that side.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Mine showed up.

Sticker shock aside, it’s met the challenge, not to say it wouldn’t be better at $215.00 or $250.00, even.

Action is nice. Blade retention is more than adequate. Centering is spot on. Grind is symmetrical. There’s no blade play or lock rock. Scales are nicely relieved. It’s thin thin thin and slicey.

Bevels.. are very good. It’s a tad steeper on the clip side but very good nonetheless. They are probably better now than they ever will be again, me being an in-hand sharpener and all. 😇

The inside edges on the liners are sharp but not so sharp as to cut. There is definitely less handwork going on than the Ayoob. I wouldn’t mind if it was a sabre grind. That’s as far as I’d go in critiquing this knife.

What’s the blurb in the catalog? “Ultra Lean”. “Magnum”. Yah.

Overall, pretty ecstatic with this knife.

Thanks to Jeff and the folks at CSI.
rgc

Post by rgc »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:25 pm
rgc wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:27 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
(Pics coming)
Ooh! Sorry for bringing your attention to it!! I'm on the fence about as I'm not generally a stickler for perfection but the price on this one is up there!! I'll probably just keep it as the edge geometry is great.
No worries brother. Turns out I love this knife so much I don't care. The feel and sound of it opening (yeah thanks to the steel liners and lock back) is sooooooo soothing to me. I only have three Spyderco folders (I usually carry fixed blades and a Victorinox (DAK) Pioneer/Soldier) and two of them are Chiefs but this thing has taken over my pocket. Even being slightly heavier than the Chiefs it does not matter to me. Yeah, I am looking for the right Millie to compare to it but that may be nonstarter as I am a big fan of a back lock.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A GREAT KNIFE!
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

Unfortunately mine has developed some blade wrap. Spotted a chip towards a tip. Lanyard tube inside has distinct markings where the blade has landed. Idk if I should keep it and try and mod the tube or send it in. I like the knife but it was 280$. Hope it's not the model and just mine.
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

bwj109 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:46 am
Unfortunately mine has developed some blade wrap. Spotted a chip towards a tip. Lanyard tube inside has distinct markings where the blade has landed. Idk if I should keep it and try and mod the tube or send it in. I like the knife but it was 280$. Hope it's not the model and just mine.
Chip
Chip
Lanyard tube
Lanyard tube
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bwj109 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:48 am
bwj109 wrote:
IMG_20221223_124252222_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20221223_124212996.jpg
I would consider sending in , just my opinion. I just looked over mine , no issues that I could have missed . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

bwj109 wrote:
Mine actually has this too. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. That is a little disappointing.
I may remove the lanyard tube entirely. I doubt it's structural in any way. My G-10 Endura doesn't have one.
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

cjk wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:29 pm
bwj109 wrote:
Mine actually has this too. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. That is a little disappointing.
I may remove the lanyard tube entirely. I doubt it's structural in any way. My G-10 Endura doesn't have one.
That stinks but I'm glad you caught it now. I'm up in the air. I like everything else about the knife. But it being so pricing I'm leaning on sending it in.

Just don't want to wait 6 months to get it back. No offense to Spyderco there. Know the process takes awhile.

Grinding a notch into the tube would mitigate the problem. It needs a like 5 thousandths more clearance.
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

I just want to add that I like the way this knife feels and the action. It's not perfect, but overall one of the better purchases I have made. When I got the stretch xl, just holding it in my hand I thought that it would be great in g10.