Stretch 2 XL Cru-Wear vs Ayoob Cru-Wear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
resonanzmacher

Stretch 2 XL Cru-Wear vs Ayoob Cru-Wear

Post by resonanzmacher »

Just got my Stretch 2 XL in. Bought it on the strength of the similarities to the Ayoob, which I absolutely love. And they are indeed very similar.

Obv both knives have satined Cru-Wear and gray G-10, stout metal spacing, 4 position clips, lanyard hole, back lock with Boye dent, threaded post construction. Both appear to be washerless although both have flawless action for backlocks. Blade stock is same thickness for both. They appear to be using the same hardware, too.

Differences, aside from the obvious geometry differences like full flat vs saber, downward canted blade vs straight on blade, the Ayoob having a blackened clip, and so on:

1) The Stretch 2 XL is about .25mm thicker in the handle. Hard to see it in pics, you need the calipers.

2) The bevel on the G-10, which goes all the way down to the metal on the Ayoob, only goes halfway down the side of the G-10 on the Stretch. Very similar handfeel although I think I might prefer the full bevel on the Ayoob a little more for my own grip.

3) The liners of the Ayoob are milled and relieved a bit. The Stretch liners do not appear to be similarly milled.

4) The Stretch 2 XL is about 8 grams lighter than the Ayoob despite being a skosh thicker. Maybe down to the full flat grind? Anyway Stretch is~130g and Ayoob is ~138g.

5) Although the cant on the Ayoob blade makes apples to apples comparisons difficult, the Stretch 2 XL is a little longer. It's clocking in just under 4 inches measuring the distance from the tip to the middle of the end of the handle. The Ayoob is more like 3 3/4 inches.

6) The Stretch 2 XL was also a little slicier out of the box, possibly because the Ayoob has that saber grind and is a little thicker behind the edge.

7) The lanyard hole on the Ayoob isn't sleeved. The one on the Stretch is.

8) The action on the Ayoob is juuuuust a little more refined. Both blades can easily be Spydieflicked or thumbed open one handed, and both blades are set up so that they're easy to shut one handed. If you leave your finger in the groove as you drop the blade, neither knife will get you with the edge that way.

My initial verdict is that both knives are outstanding. The different blade geometries make for a very different cutting experience, but they're both excellent at separating matter. The Stretch obv. costs some more money -- and you do get a little lighter and longer of a knife for that, but it's a significant premium. The Ayoob is definitely more idiosyncratic and defensively optimized -- the Stretch 2 XL is more of a general carry knife. But I'm pretty confident in saying that if you love the way the Cru-Wear Ayoob is made you will be a pretty big fan of the Stretch 2 XL in Cru-Wear too.

Anyway here's some pics to compare the two:
Attachments
IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
abbazaba

Re: Stretch 2 XL Cru-Wear vs Ayoob Cru-Wear

Post by abbazaba »

Nice write up and pictures. I hope the Seki GrayWear releases continue!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have both and was making notations yesterday and discussed privately with another Forum member . You did a great job . One thing I also noticed the finish of the Ayoob is more refined than the XL but not a deal breaker in my opinion , just different . I also have to wholeheartedly agree I hope the Gray theme continues into another model that everyone can enjoy . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Interesting similarities, especially if they are from different factories.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I haven't yet had the chance to test drive the Cruwear Stretch. But my love for the Cruwear Ayoob model is intense. At this point I sincerely doubt if any new Spyder could make me part with the new Ayoob Sprint Run.

But do keep in mind that even the original VG-10 version of the Ayoob has been one of my top 5 favorite Spyders for quite some time now. For all of you who like the STRETCH model better then more power to you. But for me it isn't even close and I have owned and used other STRETCH models in the past.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I also have both and have disassembled them. While fit and finnish is good on both, i can tell that the factory from which the Ayoob came pays more attention to the little details. For example, on the stretch and all other seki city backlocks they leave the inside of the knife unfinished. The backspacer and lockbar look rough from the inside. On the ayoob everything is polished on the inside as it is on the outside. It’s disappointing that given its much higher price than the ayoob, the stretch falls short in this area. But I am picking at nits!

The extra milling on the ayoob liners impressed me as well. They made it so the whole tang of the blade will not rub and show scratches from opening and closing.

So for me, the ayboob is a way better value but over all the stretch is still my favorite
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really wanted an ayoob in my collection and i like it, but i think the stretch is the better knife and i would probably like it more from a practical standpoint. that's not to say the ayoob isn't a good knife or that i regret buying it... the ayoob just has a different appeal to me than the stretch. of course, if i really wanted a stretch 2 xl as a practical cutting tool, i would get the standard frn version and not pay the extra for a g10 seki model, or wait until it's a salt, which is far more likely in my case.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Are you able to measure the thickness behind the edge bevel for both knives? I should be getting my Cruwear Stretch on Monday but I’m curious how thin they are leaving the factory. I love thin slivers, and the Cruwear Stretch XL seems to fit the bill well.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

gunmike1 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:12 pm
Are you able to measure the thickness behind the edge bevel for both knives? I should be getting my Cruwear Stretch on Monday but I’m curious how thin they are leaving the factory. I love thin slivers, and the Cruwear Stretch XL seems to fit the bill well.
The stretch 2 xl is plenty thin begind the edge. Definitely much thinner than the ayoob. They did a great job on the grinds
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:19 am
I haven't yet had the chance to test drive the Cruwear Stretch. But my love for the Cruwear Ayoob model is intense. At this point I sincerely doubt if any new Spyder could make me part with the new Ayoob Sprint Run.

But do keep in mind that even the original VG-10 version of the Ayoob has been one of my top 5 favorite Spyders for quite some time now. For all of you who like the STRETCH model better then more power to you. But for me it isn't even close and I have owned and used other STRETCH models in the past.
Between the two? I'd have the Ayoob. It's really got some special sauce and it's a better deal and at the end of the day I think it's just a bit better finished. And from the other thread and everything you've said about the Ayoob -- no, I can't see you liking the Stretch 2 XL in Cru-wear more than the Ayoob sprint either. I think we're both in Camp Ayoob for very similar reasons.

But I was surprised at how much I liked the Stretch 2 XL in Cru-wear. Maybe I shouldn't be, because Sal tends to design knives that fit me well from grip to usage. And I can see people coming from an EDC perspective opting for the gray Stretch. The only ding I have against it is if I really lean on the blade hard I can induce a tiny bit of lock rock. I do mean tiny. I'm picky about that in general but it's so miniscule that it doesn't really register for me in this case. Everything else, from handfeel to grip to blade geometry, is top notch.
Last edited by resonanzmacher on Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This is a great write up, thanks very much. Helps solidify my choice about the Stretch!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:53 pm
This is a great write up, thanks very much. Helps solidify my choice about the Stretch!
I hope you get one . Mine did not have bevel issues but needed a good strop razor sharp. Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent piece! Thank you for sharing. Decisions, decisions…..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty interesting comparison, I haven't looked into the XL yet and this gives me a good idea of size and ergonomics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I’m still considering the Ayoob. I’m very happy so far with the Stretch 2 XLso far. No lock rock, even grinds, centered, great QC. Just have a slightly uneven edge bevel on the clip side near the tip which will get fixed the first time I sharpen it. While I wish it was thinner at the edge I realize being around .018” at the edge on a 4” blade these days is quite thin (my Cruwear Delicas were .025”, which was highly disappointing). I’m the type that likes to run sub .010” edges on everything, but no production companies want to deal with warranty claims on 4” knives with ultra thin edges since people tend to do stupid things with their pocket knives.
Matus

Post by Matus »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:10 am
i really wanted an ayoob in my collection and i like it, but i think the stretch is the better knife and i would probably like it more from a practical standpoint. that's not to say the ayoob isn't a good knife or that i regret buying it... the ayoob just has a different appeal to me than the stretch. of course, if i really wanted a stretch 2 xl as a practical cutting tool, i would get the standard frn version and not pay the extra for a g10 seki model, or wait until it's a salt, which is far more likely in my case.
I am going to guess that it will not be long before the XL FRN comes out in k390. From utility point of view that would make the most sense to me, though I would be curios about the sturdiness of the whole knife. There are WORLDS between the bendy H1 Pacific and Ayoob. And while the Pacific is a nice knife, feeling the blade/spring move with ever cut that requires a little more power is not confidence inspiring.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have both. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the stretch. This is going to be one of my top 10 favorites.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:02 pm
I have both. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the stretch. This is going to be one of my top 10 favorites.
I hear what you are saying, like both a lot and both are in my top ten too . I actually put both aside today to compare in pocket to my Police 3 . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:10 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:02 pm
I hear what you are saying, like both a lot and both are in my top ten too . I actually put both aside today to compare in pocket to my Police 3 . Dan
I think I'd prefer the Police4 G-10 to either. Would be all over a Grey G-10 Cruwear Police.

But between the Ayoob and SXL, the Ayoob is a superior SD tool, but for edc I prefer the thinner geometry, blade shape, and ergos of the Stretch.

Stretch xl vs pm2
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm completely dumbfounded that no one really spoke highly of the Sprint Run C-60 Cruwear Ayoob model on this thread comparing the two models ( Stretch & Ayoob). With the success of the Ayoob Sprint Run and so many people literally raving about it's release this past August I find it confusing that no one beside myself gave it a vote of confidence on this particular thread comparing it to the STRETCH model.

I have nothing against the Stretch model but given the success of the C-60 Sprint Run and all the fanfare on the C-60 thread I find that really baffling. This truly is a case of conflicting information and a really selective group of fans for both of these models as it seems to be. None like I've ever seen before.

Or do I need to see a "shrink" :thinking