I hate my pocket knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: I hate my pocket knife.

Post by z1r »

Lol, I too carry a ZDP DF2 everyday. The Hawkbill Salt version is on my must have list.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:10 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:13 am
I love seeing experiences like this. It's fun watching everyone get all the new sprints and exclusives, but what seems to be rare are people finding their "THE" knife and really sticking with it because it just works so well for them, especially when they're boring.

It's really amazing how often someone's "the one" is a standard production knife and not a fancy sprint or exclusive with some uber steel.
I dont feel as bad beating up production knives so its easier for me to EDC. It helps my mind mentally. I go insane when I accidentally drop something rare and expensive.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
z1r

Post by z1r »

I think what I prefer about production vs sprints knives is that, when I find the right production knife, I can get several. Nothing is worse than finding the right product, then finding out it isn't available any longer when you want another.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I have two extra ZDP DF2's, just in case. To be honest, I think I prefer K390, but I love the whole ZDP package, scales and steel. Love me some BRG.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Now I’m thinking that I need a backup Dragonfly Salt because mine has yellow FRN and I think I need black FRN. Black matches everything. Yellow is difficult to coordinate accessories with. That settles it.

Oh no! Now do I need a hawkbill version or no.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:10 am
It's really amazing how often someone's "the one" is a standard production knife and not a fancy sprint or exclusive with some uber steel.

The first example that comes to mind is Bloke and his Lady-Hawk.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Caz wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am
Now I’m thinking that I need a backup Dragonfly Salt because mine has yellow FRN and I think I need black FRN. Black matches everything. Yellow is difficult to coordinate accessories with. That settles it.

Exactly!!!!

Yes, everyone needs a Hawkbill, especially me.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

I can relate to the feeling of loving the D-fly... mine was a K390 Wharncliffe model, couldn't keep it out of my pocket for a long time after getting it and want to put the blade into a SAK, now, I love it so much. Favorite small Spyderco along with the Cricket.

Have never owned a Salt knife, though.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Caz

Post by Caz »

z1r wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 am
Caz wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am

Exactly!!!!

Yes, everyone needs a Hawkbill, especially me.
You’ve convinced me! I will be looking for one now.

I need that one in H1 or LC and a non-Wharnie in K390 (I have the Wharncliff; I love it but need a regular one with the lil pointy blade). I missed the ZDP Dragonfly 2’s but I have one in S30 in my stash.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

My only regret is I have not bought a Dragonfly Salt SE . I have carried the PE model for over three years in my right pocket 98% of the time while a larger knife is in my left pocket . The ergonomics of the Dragonfly are perfect in my hand for such a small knife. Excellent design , timeless . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

this, plus the endless everyday commentary site-wide celebration of them are really making me jealous of the green zdp owners. i feel like the df2 is so universally loved and lauded, i have to wonder why it doesn't see the lion's share of sprints and exclusives. profit margins not as good as pm2/3s? lack of orders from dealears? in the meantime, to all you dragons perched on your knife hoards, give me one of your TEN EXTRAS
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bleasure wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:02 pm
this, plus the endless everyday commentary site-wide celebration of them are really making me jealous of the green zdp owners. i feel like the df2 is so universally loved and lauded, i have to wonder why it doesn't see the lion's share of sprints and exclusives. profit margins not as good as pm2/3s? lack of orders from dealears? in the meantime, to all you dragons perched on your knife hoards, give me one of your TEN EXTRAS

Hype. The Para 2/3 get all the hype in part because of the Compression Lock and fidget-ability, and the lowly Back Lock is just too boring and effective to be as fun to play with. Size is probably also part of it, many people may assume it's too small to be an effective EDC. I certainly don't carry one as my only knife but I've also made due with less. To poorly quote Sal, he said something along the lines of a Ladybug being a lot more blade than no blade at all and that's universally true.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

bleasure wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:02 pm
Because there is an dark and secret society pulling the strings in Spyderco HQ probably praying and mumbling every solstice to the first Para 2 concept on an altar in the basement of the Golden factory. :cheap-sunglasses
I wish they would be exposed and stopped with there shenanigans so the mighty Manix XL and others can finally be loved with the Many , Many factory Sprints they deserve! :beaming-face
And to all those loving the pm2 for its fidget factor i say get real fidget toy not a knife! :squinting-tongue
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I can vibe with ya on this.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:50 am

You certainly got your money's worth out of those plugs.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I need a K390 one... wharncliffe or leaf is the question...
Skar

Post by Skar »

Great... now I need a df thanks alot.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:50 am

You certainly got your money's worth out of those plugs.
Those were out of a customers car ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
attila

Post by attila »

The DF2 Salt was my motorcycle keychain knife for a while, but in contrast to others here, I disliked SE H1 almost immediately. For a few years now, my SE H1 DF2 and Pacific Salt usually just sat in my knife box unused for long periods because H1 didn’t seem to hold an edge very well and would rapidly start snagging on various mediums.

However, this thread has inspired me to give SE H1 another chance. I decided to carry and use the DF2, but I immediately switched to the Pacific Salt due to the less spiky teeth.

This time around, I’ll be taking much greater care during sharpening, just in case if that was the source of the poor performance. I truly hope to be pleasantly surprised by SE H1 so that I have a reason to carry it again.
40mm wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 pm
I also have a shortened medium sharpmaker stone, and I was wondering, where did you get those caps for the ends of yours? Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

attila wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:26 am
The DF2 Salt was my motorcycle keychain knife for a while, but in contrast to others here, I disliked SE H1 almost immediately. For a few years now, my SE H1 DF2 and Pacific Salt usually just sat in my knife box unused for long periods because H1 didn’t seem to hold an edge very well and would rapidly start snagging on various mediums.

However, this thread has inspired me to give SE H1 another chance. I decided to carry and use the DF2, but I immediately switched to the Pacific Salt due to the less spiky teeth.

This time around, I’ll be taking much greater care during sharpening, just in case if that was the source of the poor performance. I truly hope to be pleasantly surprised by SE H1 so that I have a reason to carry it again.
40mm wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 pm
I also have a shortened medium sharpmaker stone, and I was wondering, where did you get those caps for the ends of yours? Thanks!
You should look at the SE sharpening thread. I used to think the same as you until I studied that thread and did a few hours on the sharpmaker CBN rod (while watching Predator).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84985

That makes my H1 SE dragonfly a joy versus my least favorite knife. I kept it for sentimental reasons at it was my first pocket knife, and now I’m thrilled I actually like it a lot. I wish it was a black handle but I’m not going to dye it due to sentimentality.
Last edited by sethwm on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.