Dedicated box cutter knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Dedicated box cutter knife?

Post by vivi »

Mrj wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:26 pm
1850985E-DAF3-424F-80C4-E717469CD697.jpeg
Every knife is a box cutter. That’s why they don’t make on. I mean really. Why use box cutter when you have a way better blade in your pocket at all times. JS I use my para 3 every single day for all kinds of things and even if it’s dulls a little. It still cuts up/open boxes.
I'd rather use my knives too. Geometry might not be ideal but it'll get the job done. Cardboard doesn't dull edges that fast.

I carried my PE Pacific Salt in H1 for a month straight. Cut some cardboard nearly every day. 30 days later the edge still shaves in places.

Something like K390 or Rex45 can cut cardboard for months without needing sharpened.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m sad the Squarehead LW was DQd. I like it very much for mundane package opening tasks and the like. It easily handles 90%+ of my EDC needs. The LW would have been great in the rainbow FRN colors. Steels like CTS-BD1 (with or without the N), VG10, AEB-L, SPY27, LC200N (salt version), MagnaCut, K390, etc. They made great gifts for non-knife people. My FIL still carries the gray one I gave him on his keys.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Custom maker Walter Wells built me something that comes close to what you’re describing. The blade is .044” full flat ground M2 steel at around 64 Rc:

https://vimeo.com/312123079

It cuts through cardboard (and everything else) like soft butter.

It is my great desire to see many, many more knives in super thin steels that have good edge stability (hardness and toughness).
Matus

Post by Matus »

My gently convex PM2 in k390 is my box cutter. There probably are better knvies for that, but this one works great - and so does the H1 Pac Salt SE after some thinning of the serrations.

My point is - there are many ways to approach this.

One often overlooked point is - the comfort of the handle. The better (more comfortable, more robust, more hand filling, more fitting one's style, etc.) the better (pure perception) the blade cuts. Great example is trying side by side Para 3 and PM2. Geometry-wise the blades are identical, but PM2 (when not using the finger choil and with the thumb on the spine) with its longer handle offers a LOT better grip and make the cutting considerably easier.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

brancron wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:42 am
Custom maker Walter Wells built me something that comes close to what you’re describing. The blade is .044” full flat ground M2 steel at around 64 Rc:

It is my great desire to see many, many more knives in super thin steels that have good edge stability (hardness and toughness).

Wow, that’s awesome. If Spyderco were to make something similar I’d sure grab one!

If you don’t mind and have the time, can you tell us more about that knife in the off topic section?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Matus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:38 pm
My gently convex PM2 in k390 is my box cutter. There probably are better knvies for that, but this one works great - and so does the H1 Pac Salt SE after some thinning of the serrations.

My point is - there are many ways to approach this.

One often overlooked point is - the comfort of the handle. The better (more comfortable, more robust, more hand filling, more fitting one's style, etc.) the better (pure perception) the blade cuts. Great example is trying side by side Para 3 and PM2. Geometry-wise the blades are identical, but PM2 (when not using the finger choil and with the thumb on the spine) with its longer handle offers a LOT better grip and make the cutting considerably easier.
Commenting on the highlighted section, I can fully agree on that point. One knife that surprised me in its ability to slice cardboard and other material was the Cold Steel Talwar. Its very tall blade has excellent geometry for the task and the large handle allowed of a variety of comfortable grips. I bet the FFG Chinook would also excel at cardboard slicing.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

brancron wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:42 am

That's what I'm talking about!

I know any knife can be a "box cutter" - but nothing beats the feeling of a thin blade cutting through material effortlessly
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Matus wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:38 pm
(Snip)

This is a great point about handle purchase. My favorite (sadly discontinued) utility knife has what looks like a comically oversized handle, which is what I love about it. I can get a much firmer grip than on the classic Stanley knife, which is still vastly superior to the grip available on folding utility knives.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I'd look into the havalon brand. Cliff Stamp used the piranta if I'm not mistaken. Uses replaceable scalpel blades that could check off the boxes your looking for.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Police 4 K390 PE and SE are box annihilators.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When you think about it there is one perfect box cutting design. Any Wharncliffe would be great for any type of box cutting chores. The original Yojimbo ( first Generation) is a perfect Wharnie for box cutting jobs.

Also with everyone's craze over the DragonFly Hawkbill and the Ladybug Hawkbill I'm surprised that those two haven't been recommended. Those smaller Hawkbill blades with pull cutting would even have a safety element as well.

But for any Hawkbill I would go SE all the way.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am
If you’re interested enough to contact a custom maker, you might be able to save few bucks by purchasing one of the Mickey Yurco customized Delica, Endela, or Endura wharncliffes and just having the blade ground as thin as possible. The knives already have a blade shape reminiscent of a utility blade, so adding a super thin regrind might be a way to achieve what you’re looking for.

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... harncliffe
These Yurco regrinds have found their use as utility knives for me, as the Janicliffe is great for work, and I use it in the kitchen, too. Fantastic, fantastic knife. I have the Endura, the only Endura I will be keeping after the Police 4 w/ WMC wave won my heart and pocket, kicked the Matriarch 2 w/ ring AND PM2 out of my pocket.

Great, thin, razorblade of a knife!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

I love the Spyderco Cricket - so much that I would totally buy a Cricket handle with thin, tiny, reverse-S "razors". This would be perfect - no expensive big folder with liners - just a little cricket in stainless or something.

Ohhhh, I would love a reverse-S little razor for utility!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MournfulCongregant wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:07 am
I love the Spyderco Cricket - so much that I would totally buy a Cricket handle with thin, tiny, reverse-S "razors". This would be perfect - no expensive big folder with liners - just a little cricket in stainless or something.

Ohhhh, I would love a reverse-S little razor for utility!
I've often wondered how a CRICKET model with a Micarta handle would fare as a box cutter?

But seriously that older fixed blade SPOT model is overlooked in that category. And the Dodo model has a lot better handle grip that any other Spyderco knife in that size range.