If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Post by JSumm »

Some recent comparison pics.

Caly 3.5 vs Native 5

Caly 3.5 vs Manix 2 LW
Edge lined up

Back of the knives lined up for overall length.

Showing negative blade angle.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Looks like it is a good fit for your hand . How do you compare it to ergo to the Manix2 and the Native ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:52 pm
Looks like it is a good fit for your hand . How do you compare it to ergo to the Manix2 and the Native ? MG2
I like it a lot. The Manix and Native 5 are more locked in. However, the Native 5 handle is too short. I don't have all fingers on it while closing. Where the Caly feels more secure when closing due to a little extra handle length. Still not a great option for grip behind the choil on the Caly. Not quite a four finger grip behind the choil. The Manix is in a league of it's own. I like neutral grips, but the Manix fits so well. Choked up not choked up it is hard to beat. I think the Caly shines in it's overall small footprint. Feels great when choked up with a wide shallower finger choil.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:19 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I like it a lot. The Manix and Native 5 are more locked in. However, the Native 5 handle is too short. I don't have all fingers on it while closing. Where the Caly feels more secure when closing due to a little extra handle length. Still not a great option for grip behind the choil on the Caly. Not quite a four finger grip behind the choil. The Manix is in a league of it's own. I like neutral grips, but the Manix fits so well. Choked up not choked up it is hard to beat. I think the Caly shines in it's overall small footprint. Feels great when choked up with a wide shallower finger choil.
Thanks we seem to be on same page between the three mentioned here . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Every time I see the 3.5, I am impressed with the blade/edge length vs handle. I am very interested in the LW.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:

I think the main thing you would notice vs a Manix 2 is how much shorter in height the handle is. It's much less hand-filling than a Manix and maybe even less than a Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:51 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

I think the main thing you would notice vs a Manix 2 is how much shorter in height the handle is. It's much less hand-filling than a Manix and maybe even less than a Native.
That’s a good point and probably the best overall observation . Jeff’s take on length of handles between the three models was spot on . Our hands appear to be about same size . I only have the Caly 3 for reference between the three and height of handle I am not sure is same as the 3.5 .
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:51 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Less than a Native too! I would say it is in the thin handle class. Similar to a Kapara or maybe even Endura. Although the Endura's handle is a little taller. I really like the thinner handles. I like their efficiency in pocket for everything you get. From a grip standpoint, the thin handles have never bothered me. I have long hands and fingers, but thin. The hand filling designs like the Manix also feel great in use. Just takes up a bit more in pocket space. So they are different but good.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Talkin' Story: A few years ago, a couple was walking in National Park in Texas. Their young son was walking between them each holding his hands. A mountain lion jumped between them, grabbed the boy and dragged him off into the forest. The Dad chased the cat into the forest and found them with the cat holding his mouth over the boys face in an effort to smother him. The Dad beat on the cat with his fists, but the cat did not respond. He remembered that he had a Caly 3.5 in his pocket. He pulled the knife from his pocket and stabbed the cat in the side. The cat ran off and was later found dead.

They attended the Blade Magazine show that year and we had a chance to speak with them. The young boy told Gail that, "He didn't cry". Pretty brave for a 4 year old. The Dad said that it surprised him how easily the knife slid into the cat.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i remember that story. such a crazy ordeal. i can't imagine a cat taking off with one of my kids.

any chance we'll see the caly 3.5 in another steel again?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:42 pm
That is an Epic story Sal. I recall that thread. I bet that particular knife holds a special place in that family's heart. I think I would display it over the fireplace for saving my son. Right next to the stuffed cat.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

In stock at spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C144CFE/764

Edit: Gone for now
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Caly 3.5 is a lovely knife:

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

^^^ Lovely shot that really illustrates how elegant the Caly 3.5 is, very nice. That was the one that drew me down the Spyderhole.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

remnar wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:31 pm
The Caly 3.5 is a lovely knife:

That's a great pic!

Hoping we will see that version again some day. Maybe at a minimum in an exclusive.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think a lightweight version would change a lot of impressions of this knife. I think the Caly 3.5 has a lot to offer , FRN version sounds enticing to say the least . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

G10 is lightweight for a scale material as it is, and the knife becomes even lighter after spydercos liner skeletonization, so I don’t get the demand for an frn version, if the reason is just to cut down more weight. Personally I greatly favor g10 over the texture molded frn mainly for aesthetic preference, so if and when it gets rereleased I hope it does not totally replace the g10 versions!
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:12 pm
In stock at spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C144CFE/764

Edit: Gone for now
I snagged one this morning. They went quick.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:33 pm
G10 is lightweight for a scale material as it is, and the knife becomes even lighter after spydercos liner skeletonization, so I don’t get the demand for an frn version, if the reason is just to cut down more weight. Personally I greatly favor g10 over the texture molded frn mainly for aesthetic preference, so if and when it gets rereleased I hope it does not totally replace the g10 versions!
I don't believe it is all about weight. Although I would like a G10 version of this knife in standard production, I would also like a FRN Version. FRN can reduce the price. It also adds grip on demand with Spyderco's design. Feels smooth in hand, but when you bear down your hand digs into the texture. Also goes in and out of the pocket a little easier and is easier on the pocket material. Spyderco designs the mold to where the clip pinches right on the logo. It is a great user material practically speaking. Doesn't take anything away from any other material. I had to commit to carrying it for a time (Seki City Version). After that, for everyday carry and use it has been hard for me to choose anything else.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau