St. Nick's Knives - Exclusive Jester Red FRN CPM 4V Black Coated Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: St. Nick's Knives - Exclusive Jester Red FRN CPM 4V Black Coated Blade

Post by nerdlock »

I had one in my cart. Let it sit for a few hours, slept on it, when I woke up in the morning there were still about 17 left.

Really thought long and hard about getting one, but the additional $20 cost of shipping internationally to my location, plus the fact that even if I got one, it probably won't be used at all due to the scarcity of the run, made me think that I won't be needing one. Despite how I like this one very much, in the end I just couldn't justify spending almost $90 for a very small knife that I could potentially lose easily.

Any regrets I feel right now at missing this, I chalk up probably to FOMO as well as the possibility of this being an investment piece that I could potentially trade/sell in the future.

Happy for those who wanted this and scored one.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Rymanz wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 am
Funny enough, I don't see any of them on Ebay yet. Normally the exclusives get listed right as they drop.
There have been a couple listed on eBay so far, and one has already sold…
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Really wanted a Jester (but any steel or scale material really). However, it's kinda the same thing as nerdlock.
I can't justify spending around 130€ to receive it here sadly.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:25 pm
Rymanz wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 am
Funny enough, I don't see any of them on Ebay yet. Normally the exclusives get listed right as they drop.
There have been a couple listed on eBay so far, and one has already sold…
Indeed. I figured it was only a matter of time.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Very pleasantly surprised to see this delivered already this morning! St. Nick's must have shipped by fighter jet!

Nice little knife. Well done all around!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mine is due in a couple of hours. Really impressive work by StNK & USPS.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Another Guy

Post by Another Guy »

I just got mine this morning as well. Super fast delivery.

Absolutely lovely little (tiny!) knife. The attention to detail is truly fantastic, it looks and feels like a miniaturized version of a full size Spyderco. The bi-directional FRN works, it has a real functioning back lock, super sharp out of the box, love the double jimping on the spine of the blade above the hole and close to the tip, the steel quality is obviously awesome, the color combination works nicely… I looked, it has no liners.

Very nice ergonomics for such a small knife. I can open and close it with one hand although the opening part does require some dexterity with full size hands. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but I can see it working nicely to open various types of packages. I don’t think I would use it to cut zip ties though, I’m not sure about how much abuse the pivot can take.

My only very minor criticism, at $70 including shipping, it feels a bit on the pricey side. The design and the implementation are both absolutely remarkable but it does look expensive next to Spyderco’s GrassHopper or HoneyBee lines. I know, we’re talking about totally different quality items but some may compare these simply on the basis of size and function as a “keychain knife.” I’m only mentioning that aspect because I think it takes a true knife aficionado to appreciate what the Jester offers and determine whether the pricing makes sense. It does to me (and I am definitely not an expert!) but I could see some people seeing it differently.

Now, Sal and Spyderco friends, can we get it in different color, steel, and scale combinations? Please!?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Got mine today as well! I am a huge Jester fan and this one did not disappoint! The "Red" in this (their first Seki FRN exclusive) Jester almost has some orange/brown to it, which I actually prefer to the true Red FRN. It is a bit more understated than a bright red, which is good thing in my opinion.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Another Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 pm

Now, Sal and Spyderco friends, can we get it in different color, steel, and scale combinations? Please!?

Here here! :) I think the briskness of the 2 recent Jester exclusives are a good indication that this is a knife that should be added back into the lineup, perhaps as an H1 Salt in PE and SE?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I second steelcity16's motion ! Something that isn't an exclusive would be nice ^^
Even a sprint run, just not so high level (not ti and S90v for example), would be enough to let us europeans have a shot at it !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Also, got mine in today and can basically echo what everyone has said so far. Great first impressions from this iteration. I love the TiCN coating and if I could’ve got two, I would have already done a scale swap to create an all black Jester! I know someone will do it though and I can’t wait to see it. :cheap-sunglasses

I agree with Steelcity, the color of this one is definitely a little different than a true red, it looks a bit darker to me. Kind of leaning more towards a maroon in my eyes.
steelcity16 wrote:
Here here! :) I think the briskness of the 2 recent Jester exclusives are a good indication that this is a knife that should be added back into the lineup, perhaps as an H1 Salt in PE and SE?
Yes! I agree with this as well, it should definitely be added back into the regular production lineup. I’d love to see it as a Salt if that means we could also get an all black version. :bug-red
- Nick :bug-red
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Mine is waiting in the mailbox!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

The biggest and the smallest; they’ll make a nice combo. FRN is a bit dustier than the G10
— more of a brick red. No problems on either knife, both are built well.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very pleased with this one. Build quality seems better than my GITD model and approaches that of the original micarta version, allowing for material differences of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mine arrived today as well. I love the Jester design and this is one of my favorite color combos. While I would have liked 2 (one to carry, one to keep in box), I think the limit of 1 worked very nicely, selling out fast enough they're not sitting on inventory, but at just over 4.5 hours before selling out, slow enough you could get one if you had really wanted to.
IMG_14032022_143802_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Crox

Post by Crox »

Another Guy wrote:
I just got mine this morning as well. Super fast delivery.

Absolutely lovely little (tiny!) knife. The attention to detail is truly fantastic, it looks and feels like a miniaturized version of a full size Spyderco. The bi-directional FRN works, it has a real functioning back lock, super sharp out of the box, love the double jimping on the spine of the blade above the hole and close to the tip, the steel quality is obviously awesome, the color combination works nicely… I looked, it has no liners.

Very nice ergonomics for such a small knife. I can open and close it with one hand although the opening part does require some dexterity with full size hands. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but I can see it working nicely to open various types of packages. I don’t think I would use it to cut zip ties though, I’m not sure about how much abuse the pivot can take.

My only very minor criticism, at $70 including shipping, it feels a bit on the pricey side. The design and the implementation are both absolutely remarkable but it does look expensive next to Spyderco’s GrassHopper or HoneyBee lines. I know, we’re talking about totally different quality items but some may compare these simply on the basis of size and function as a “keychain knife.” I’m only mentioning that aspect because I think it takes a true knife aficionado to appreciate what the Jester offers and determine whether the pricing makes sense. It does to me (and I am definitely not an expert!) but I could see some people seeing it differently.

I agree with all of your points. It’s my first Jester and I was drawn to the ergos. I really tried to prepare myself for how small it is. Once in hand I love it. But am not feeling the value as much at $70 compared with other Spydercos. Given it sold out, I suppose the market says it’s worth that though….

In either case I’ll enjoy it.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mine arrived today too. Exactly what I expected and nothing short of awesome. Not a nit to pick. Congrats to StNicks for another successful exclusive!
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Mine arrived around noon!

This is my first sub-Dragonfly model. It's fit and finish is 9.8/10 (very slight blemish on the very end of the scales) the seem line is nearly invisible. Centering, action, and grind are all superb.

Value of the lil guy is subjective, IMO for it's size it's a little over priced BUT for the quality and niche market it's a fair price. Heck look at what SAK SDs are going for (alox special yearly special editions $40).

Wife may take it as a replacement for her Stainless Delica - it plus a .357 Mag S&W 60LS is a bit heavy. She prefers the revolver to plastic pistols, so maybe a plastic knife, lol.
Last edited by 99Dirk on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Crox wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:57 pm
Another Guy wrote:
But am not feeling the value as much at $70 compared with other Spydercos. Given it sold out, I suppose the market says it’s worth that though….
I get what you guys are saying regarding the price but with TiCN coated 4V steel it is kind of a premium version of a keychain knife. I have several Manbugs, a couple Ladybugs, and now two Jesters. I actually use these little knives more than I do the bigger ones I have on me. So for me the value is there. I know these don't take as much materials but I bet production costs for something like this aren't proportionately lower than the larger models. We'll probably never know and there's no sense dwelling on it. I find that when I pay a little more for a quality item that I really want I forget the price pretty quickly. I also knew the price going into it. If I thought it was too much for what it is I wouldn't buy it

I got mine today too. Nothing more to say other than I'm happy and the SNK collection continues...
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

New and old: