Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hullk

Re: Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Post by Hullk »

Yeah, it could be in the prototype box. I know the excitement is high for this one
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Military 2 is most likely in the prototype case that Spyderco displays at trade shows like this. They do not allow pictures of the prototype case, so we will probably not see the Military 2 during this SHOT Show.
- Nick :bug-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

I recall it Sal mentioning that the Mili 2 will be shown at the show. I would have hoped that they are past the prototype stage by now. It has been in the making for a while.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crox wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:57 am
Xformer wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am
archangel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am
Yeah strange... PM2 LW, Mili2 and Shaman LW weren't shown like Eric said. Maybe a change of plan ?

Did not watch it again, but I am almost 100% he said that in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FM59XCvB7V8 vid indeed... :thinking
Maybe they’re waiting for the last day or something? Keep on top of newsfeed all week?

Or they are showing it there but no photographs allowed?
In the Rivers Edge Cutlery vid Eric mentions a "prototype case"
So perhaps actual visitors of the show can see these models there, but they are not shown on social media platforms yet...?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am
The Military 2 is most likely in the prototype case that Spyderco displays at trade shows like this. They do not allow pictures of the prototype case, so we will probably not see the Military 2 during this SHOT Show.
I bet this is the case for both the Millie 2 and the PM2 LW.

Change of subject, I think I might be looking for a Lil’ Native Slipjoint to throw some aftermarket Micarta scales on.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
I wonder if I am too early begging for a Military2 lefty ? ;) ;)
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Crox

Post by Crox »

I fully understand the effort of R and D and not being able to bring all of this to market at the same time. I am a bit surprised to see a lil native LW ahead of something like a PM2 lw. It seems like one would massively outsell the other and would *guess* they take similar levels of R and D.

Not a complaint. Just interesting.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 am
Mushroom wrote:

Call me crazy but I think it was a mistake not going with an ambidextrous lock design for the Military 2, but I'm certain the compression lock version will still sell like crazy. I'm a bit let down that they haven't pursued the Power Lock more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Crox wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:02 pm
I fully understand the effort of R and D and not being able to bring all of this to market at the same time. I am a bit surprised to see a lil native LW ahead of something like a PM2 lw. It seems like one would massively outsell the other and would *guess* they take similar levels of R and D.

You may be right... but it seems like making the PM2 in its current form is almost like printing money anyway, while I think the move to make the Lil'Native with a thinner blade stock was more urgent with regards for that model to reach its full market potential. The thinner blade stock is probably more important than the LW aspect here, but it was a great opportunity to combine both features into one R&D effort.

Maybe I'm just projecting my own bias'es, but the thinner Lil'Native LW just really made that model appealing to me again, while I'm not anticipating a PM2LW to persuade me towards a PM2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:

Sorry Nick, I did not mean to paraphrase you (concerning the prototype case). Somehow missed your post.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am
I know we've seen it before, but it's fun to see it again. Native Chief Lightweight from Knifecenter's IG

Ooooh, I thought these were going to be S30V. I'm definitely picking one up now. I really like BD1N, I use it at work all the time in the form of a Z Cut. I've been wanting to try it in a pocket knife form. Should help keep the cost around the $100-120 ball park too!
:unicorn
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I am also very excited about BD1N steel in Native Chief Lightweight! I plan to get one and hope for Salt variant in not too distand future.
Crox

Post by Crox »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:14 pm
Crox wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:02 pm

You may be right... but it seems like making the PM2 in its current form is almost like printing money anyway, while I think the move to make the Lil'Native with a thinner blade stock was more urgent with regards for that model to reach its full market potential. The thinner blade stock is probably more important than the LW aspect here, but it was a great opportunity to combine both features into one R&D effort.

Maybe I'm just projecting my own bias'es, but the thinner Lil'Native LW just really made that model appealing to me again, while I'm not anticipating a PM2LW to persuade me towards a PM2.
I bet you’re right. Why canibalize healthy pm2 sales. Drag it out a bit longer.

Para3 to Para3 lw was blinding speed by comparison.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:31 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Sorry Nick, I did not mean to paraphrase you (concerning the prototype case). Somehow missed your post.
No need to apologize! Nothing to worry about. Looking back, I actually even ended up reiterating what Hullk said right before me, so at least a few of us were thinking the same thing.

I’ve been tempted to attend one of these trade shows, like SHOT Show or Blade Show, just so I can check out that prototype case myself! :grin-squint
- Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

We need a traveling prototype case so we can all see them eventually. Hmm...maybe use a converted bread truck! :beaming-face 😉
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:54 pm
We need a traveling prototype case so we can all see them eventually. Hmm...maybe use a converted bread truck! :beaming-face 😉
A prototype prototype case, if you will
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Call me crazy but I think it was a mistake not going with an ambidextrous lock design for the Military 2, but I'm certain the compression lock version will still sell like crazy. I'm a bit let down that they haven't pursued the Power Lock more.
I like the power lock too . I understand their decision but wish it had been a bit more innovative . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olywa

Post by olywa »

The Chief LW looks pretty sweet. I especially liked the comp shot next to the Stretch XL that Eric gave us in the Knife Center vid. Gonna make it a tough choice as to which one to get first. These are both knives that I may just wait on for additional colors and steels. Also hoping we'll see some creative new translucent colors in the screw-construction Manix 2 LW.

One I won't wait on is that Lil Native LW. I have a feeling that I'm going to pick up most flavors it comes in (Wharnie anyone?). Pretty much what I've done with my Dragonflies and Enduras...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I like the power lock too . I understand their decision but wish it had been a bit more innovative . MG2

I guess based on the old patent diagrams of the Power Lock, many of us (wrongly) assumed for years that the Military 2 was destined to have that lock so I guess I let myself down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
... I especially liked the comp shot next to the Stretch XL that Eric gave us in the Knife Center vid.....
He did? I'll have to re-watch the vid...