Spyderco Standard Clip vs. Lynch vs. MXG Gear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Re: Spyderco Standard Clip vs. Lynch vs. MXG Gear

Post by pantagana23 »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm
I’ve had plenty of both mxg and lynch clips. Mxg clips are slightly stiffer in my opinion. I prefer lynch however because he makes left handed clips and customer service is among the best I’ve ever seen.
How to MXG PVD clips hold color?
The same for Lynch cerakote.

Thanks.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have really no issues with stock clips. I have tried the Lynch and find them to be very well made and they are great to deal with whenever I have questions. Plan to try the lefty clip for my Military. I have no experience with MXG and may order one sometime but not in any hurry . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

My Para 3 lynch is quite loose and that’s even after I bent it to tighten it up some. My MXG clips are tighter but still not as tight as the originals. I just tweak any clips that feel too loose for my liking.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have purchased a few MXG Clips. I think the design goes well with the knives I have put them on. I also have a mini deep carry from MXG that I have on my Earth Brown Manix 2 not pictured. I love these clips on the G10 models. I never really liked how the standard clips on the G10 sat in my pocket. I did try some Lynch clips on my lightweight models. For those, I ended up greatly preferring the standard clips. The Lynch on the LWs did not have enough retention for me, and I did not like the deep carry on the LWs. The MXG on the G10 models had great retention in my examples.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:42 pm
Thanks for all the replies, it is much appreciated.

I really love the tension on the stock Spyderco clip as I haven't had any knife accidentally dislodged from my pocket in my daily use, even my years-old Delica. But due to work-related and social concerns as mentioned in my opening statement, a deep carry clip is now a must.
what's the concern, exactly? you said people notice a knife in your pocket when using a stock clip. what about it? is it illegal to carry? against work policy? what's the issue with someone seeing the knife?

I've tried a number of deep carry clips and to me they just make it harder to unclip the knife, less comfortable to carry because the knife feels longer in the pocket, and $$$.
:unicorn
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I have used all three, and all three work.

Between Lynch and MXG, I choose Lynch due to much better customer service. Lynch will promptly address any issue, while in my experience MXG might (and might even decline to address defects).
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used to care about the deep carry clips. I've got a bunch of them now, both Lynch and MXG and a couple randoms from eBay from a few years ago. I will say that the Lynch and MXG are worth the extra $10 or so compared to others, that's for sure.

These days I don't really care as much and will typically leave the standard clip on, unless I have one of the deep carry clips already available from a knife I've sold. I haven't bought any new clips in at least a year (besides the clip for my Smock with the burlap micarta scales, just to complete the look I was going for)

The little clips sure add up in price after a while! Definitely enough tied up in those to have purchased a new knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

The first two clips are Lynch and the second two are MXG. The coating on the MXG has held up very well. The Lynch deep carry clips have better fit and finish. The Lynch Sandwashed finish is the best looking finish to me. (It's the one on the RGT green canvas micarta maxamet PM2.) I have another of each too. The design on the Shaman MXG clip leaves a little to be desired but the finish on the Lynch blue anodized clip is way better than the blue on an MXG that I sold.

The blue wire clip replacement from Lynch looks awesome on the Siren. The MXG deep carry clip is a little deeper than the Lynch which is great to get that orange out of sight. MXG retention is stronger but not necessarily better. The radius on the Lynch looks better but that could be because the combo with the XHP PM2 is old and heavily used. All in all I'd buy more of both. I need to try a RGT clip too. I have several after market PM2 scales of his.

FK

Post by FK »

I have clips from Lynch and MXG, agree with above comments on clip tension.
My current favorite is Delica with after market micarta scales and the short Lynch clip.
This combination gives me more grip area on the scales and feels more comfortable compared to the longer area covered with standard Spyderco clips.
I like a pinch grip with thumb and forefinger for most of my work, rarely use the thumb ramp. Comparing to std Spyderco clips,,,, the additional 3/4 inch long surface area contact on the scales is very welcome.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

MXG and Lynch are the same as far as tension and both are less than the stock clip.

I like both of them for deep pocket clips, over the stock clip.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

And when I remember that I brought this thread from the graveyard just to get the info if the black deep carry clips scratch easily on MXG or Lynch.

Come on people, anyone?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

My bad. Didn't realize it was and old thread. I have the stonewashed versions, so....
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SG89

Post by SG89 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:53 pm
And when I remember that I brought this thread from the graveyard just to get the info if the black deep carry clips scratch easily on MXG or Lynch.

Come on people, anyone?
lynchnw black cerakote does not scratch as easy as mxg or spyderco OEM.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Come on people, anyone?
I posted pics of my black MXG that has held up really well.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

If you're looking for deep-pocket, very low profile carry, consider the Recluse from 5x5 Combat Solutions. Rather than using the standard handle holes to mount the clip, it replaces (or, in the case of the Para 3 and Para Military 2, adds) a machined aluminum backspacer. The clip mounts to the end of that like the clip of a Perrin PPT. Although it's tip-up carry only, it's reversible for left and right-side carry and is narrower and lower profile than most deep-pocket clips that use the clip-mounting holes in the handle. The clips also come Cerakoted in a choice of black, khaki, denim, or red (for trainers).

Here's a link: https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... e-exo-tool.

Stay safe,

Mike
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I'm a purist and have never replaced a Spyderco clip for an aftermarket one.
I have swapped clips between Spyderco's (Caribbean to Sway Back) because the shiny clip on the Sway Back looks like an afterthought and the shiny on the Caribbean looks okay.
I've never had a problem with dislodging a clipped knife out of my pocket. I often clip my Delica 3 (barrel bolt) to my hi vis vest while in the field and even with that thin material, it has never come close to coming out.
FK

Post by FK »

The 5x5 Combat Solutions example posted on their site for Spyderco FRN scales is a poor design,,,, it will be a pocket shredder. Adding an additional 1/2" length will improve that weakness.

Regards,
FK