Overall disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevinim82

Re: Overall disappointed

Post by Kevinim82 »

As a man who has 7 Spyderco’s in a sock drawer…I have an 8th that is always in the right front pocket… Do I gain any man credits for keeping the knives in a cigar box in said drawer?

Only time I’ve almost lost a knife in the pocket was standard clip in gym shorts. Waistband carry or deep carry clip is a solution. I for one like the deep carry clips. 27 dollars for pink cerakote is so worth it. I brush up and scrape my wife’s car, and I find I am in no trouble what so ever.

Lots of feral cats and monster sized squirrels where I live… should I get the small or large throwing knives?
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

A first Spyderco I would recommend for a marine biologist would be a Native 5 salt LW with an MXG clip. That’s about 160-170 bucks… but it beats an assist Kershaw in salt water… I don’t see that lasting too long.

MNOSD 0009
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:28 pm
Lots of feral cats and monster sized squirrels where I live… should I get the small or large throwing knives?

Larger throwers have +3 damage but the smaller throwers give you a +2 to dexterity so it depends on your stats

🤷‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I completely understand the OP's disappointment. This one time I heard from a friend that he had lost his knife. I first recommended a Spyderco to replace it but he was hesitant about spending that much for a knife. I later gifted him a Para 3 LW and he was grateful. I found out a couple of months later that he had lost the Para 3. How could I have been such a careless b@stard? He never would have lost that knife if I hadn't given it to him. It was completely my fault that he must now deal with the huge disappointment of losing the knife and I'm sure it had nothing to do with his apparent propensity to lose knives. :thinking
remnar

Post by remnar »

The sea was angry that day, my friends. :bug-red-white

Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:59 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:

Larger throwers have +3 damage but the smaller throwers give you a +2 to dexterity so it depends on your stats

🤷‍♂️
Oh man… this is a tough choice.

The problem would be, if I equip the throwers, I will also equip beer at the same time… I feel like beer and throwers go together. Beer gives me -2 in dexterity but a +2 in luck…

… that extra luck will make sure I don’t drop one of the throwers when it is my attack turn.
😎

MNOSD 0009
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
Kevinim82 wrote:

🤷‍♂️

The problem would be, if I equip the throwers, I will also equip beer at the same time… I feel like beer and throwers go together. Beer gives me -2 in dexterity but a +2 in luck…

… that extra luck will make sure I don’t drop one of the throwers when it is my attack turn.
😎

Right but don't forget beer also comes with a +3 personality but also a -3 intelligence.

Oh man I could do this for days 😂
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I am not recommending any knife unless he gives me helpful information regarding the Land Sharks that keep invading my yard !
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
remnar

Post by remnar »

Just to be clear, I would never store a knife in my sock drawer. Why would I risk getting my knives all sticky? :winking-tongue The proper place for tools, when not in use, is in a toolbox.

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time in the woods with a Spyderco clipped in my pocket and the only time I've had it come out was from being snagged on a seatbelt. Been carrying the same Stretch for 3 years now...hiked over 14 miles on this day and it hardly moved.

BTW, I always equip beer because I can easily afford the -3 in intellect and definitely use the +3 in personality. :bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to our forum and sorry about your mishap.

sal
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:07 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
Kevinim82 wrote:

🤷‍♂️

😎

Right but don't forget beer also comes with a +3 personality but also a -3 intelligence.

Oh man I could do this for days 😂
-3 intelligence for beer… eh that can’t hurt me, I live in the negatives already for intelligence. Obviously I have a negative intelligence, I keep all my weapons in a sock drawer! (In all seriousness I would like to thank the OP for the byproduct of his knife comments.)

… as an old player of a 20 sided dice, the term for personality would be charisma! So Beer is a +3 charisma… last I knew in a fight with feral cats and giant squirrels charisma is worthless with them.

Anyone own the Spyderco throwing knives? Which are easier to throw with a -3 intelligence?

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

remnar wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Just to be clear, I would never store a knife in my sock drawer. Why would I risk getting my knives all sticky? :winking-tongue The proper place for tools, when not in use, is in a toolbox.
I had this exact problem as a teenager!
remnar wrote:

BTW, I always equip beer because I can easily afford the -3 in intellect and definitely use the +3 in personality. :bug-red-white
Charisma +3 a worthy trade off!

MNOSD 0009
remnar

Post by remnar »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:14 pm
remnar wrote:
I had this exact problem as a teenager!
remnar wrote:

Charisma +3 a worthy trade off!
With that much charisma, it might solve my sticky sock drawer problem. ;)

I am apologizing ahead of time for those that I have offended or grossed out. :-||
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

OP managed to drive-by and insult across the board! Bravo!

• Forum members gave bad advice on the practicality of serrated edges
  • Paying too much for a plastic knife
  • Folder’s clip doesn’t give a secure hold
  • People who buy Spyderco knives just look at them and don’t use them
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Pig Iron

Post by Pig Iron »

I can see the problem here, only one Spyderco. If you have twenty the loss of one is only 5%. I don’t know how many I have though. And come to think of it, I would be sad to lose any of them. Hm.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I ride a bike with a spyderco clipped to my pocket every day and have never had a problem with one of mine working it's way out of the pocket. That's a really unusual and frustrating issue to have.

That being said, I do think a lot of people on this forum have a weird obsession with over-hyping the capabilities of H1, and *especially* serrated H1, as being a super-good general purpose blade steel, when in reality it's a special-purpose steel that is only mediocre as a blade steel.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm with you on the first paragraph.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Did I read that right?…you paid $250 for a Salt 2 Serrated?
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Can’t loose your knife if you keep it in the sock drawer
:face monocle
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

And the socks couldn't be to happy about that, the lion sleeping with the lambs. :cheap-sunglasses