Dear owners of Spyderco s90v knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Dear owners of Spyderco s90v knives

Post by z1r »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:22 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm
Generally speaking I am a tool steel fan through & through, but when it comes to stainless steels (given the option) I will always opt for S90V over any other stainless steel, even over some tool steels in certain cases, it has great edge retention, is reasonably stainless, it's tougher than S110V, and isn't a PITA to sharpen like S110V can be. While it is more expensive I think the added cost is completely worthwhile in any knife I plan to actually use.
That's something I would be after. I love to sharpen, and i mean, I love it. I'm not a professionnal, far from it, but I tend to want to sharpen more than I want to cut ! And s110v is the only steel so far that was kicked me around the living room. I've had trouble having a perfect edge heel to tip without using a microbevel.
If i can do a full 14-17°/side edge on s90v without having to microbevel, that would be sweeet.
What I have found to be difficult with regards to getting the same edge from heel to tip when you reprofile is that the heel tends to be thicker, it flares out. So, it requires more time/effort to go from say 20 degrees to 15 than the front of the blade. I found this especially frustrating on my ZDP DF2. That last 3mm or so before the ricasso/choil took forever to get to the same thickness and angle as the front of the blade. Once that was achieved, it was smooth sailing and the blade gets a quick touch up on the white rods once a week. 15 DPS and no microbevel.
Revival

Post by Revival »

I don’t own any knives S90v yet but my brother who is new to Spydercos, got a Lil Native and Native 5 Lightweight both in S90v. He sent both to me to sharpen and I came to the conclusion that I definitely need some S90v in my life.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

S90v is usually run a few points lower in hrc compared to S110v. This might be the reason S90v is slightly tougher than S110v. This is one of my favorite graphs from Larrins site.
Attachments
M398-toughness-edge-retention-balance.jpg
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

As someone who lives in the tropics, I've yet to rust any of my Spyderco S90V knives. 🙂
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Not sure you'll see a real world difference between S90v and S110v. But it's fun reading the graphs.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I am an edge junkie so being able to sharpen a new steel is already good. But a new steel that brings a different experience in sharpening and use is always more than welcome !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

As suggested few times I would go, if I were you, with Para 3 in case you have access to her. Love mine in M4. S90V is great steel, I have it on PPT sprint run and can`t get enough of it as well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

PaloArt wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:49 am
As suggested few times I would go, if I were you, with Para 3 in case you have access to her. Love mine in M4. S90V is great steel, I have it on PPT sprint run and can`t get enough of it as well.
I'm refreshing the page of the website that still has some Para 3 LW in s90v like a psycho. I get my pay in one week so I'll buy it as soon as these numbers go up !

And If I am ever bored by the LW model, i can blade swap with my S30V or Maxamet. But I know i'll like the LW version ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Tried to order, it says that the item in my cart can't be shipped to my location (France)
Thats a pain... I ordered knives to France once or twice in the past..

If there is any other way to get my hands on that Para 3 LW, it would be a bless ! thanks a lot.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 am
I've read, heard and found from my own experience that it keeps an edge like nobodies business and it can take a mirror edge but it doesn't last as long as a lower grit, "toothier" edge.

Is there a steel that does better with a polished edge? All of the anecdotal stories here seem to suggest that a toothy edge is the way to go when getting the most longevity out of a steel.
In my experience ZDP-189 works brilliantly with a polished edge. I’m not saying that a coarse edge wouldn’t cut longer, it probably would. But ZDP holds a fine edge longer than most steels and just seems to call out for a polished edge. I feel similarly about high hardness 52100, not many others.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 am
Para 3 ltwt s90v is still available at national knives.
I can’t find them on the dealer locator at the Spyderco home page. Are they a reputable seller? I worry about buying sprint run knives given what I’ve read about fakes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

National Knives is legit. I've bought from them a few times, website could use a facelift but their products are genuine.
So it goes.
Soanso McMasters

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:07 pm
National Knives is legit. I've bought from them a few times, website could use a facelift but their products are genuine.
Thanks! Is Omaha knife a good company?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just as an update : I managed to get a safe queen-ed Native 5 in fluted carbon fiber and s90v from the used market. Cost me 220€. That's maybe a bit pricy for ya but this knife sells around 280€ here in France/Europe ^^.

I'll update when I get it !

I talked to the owner of National Knives, he stopped international shipping for now due to Covid, he said he plans to reinstate it sooner than later.

FK

Post by FK »

Your friend for sharpening S90V and S110V is a decent quality eye loop or better yet, the inexpensive digital microscope with USB connection to your computer (50x-250)
For these steels, I use Diamond or CBN stones and leather with same to strop.

Regards,
FK
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

National Knives shipped mine fast. Definitely a legit website. It's worth noting that the s90v P3LW is not a sprint, it's a distributor exclusive, so they can order more runs of it if they want to.
Soanso McMasters

I just ordered the Teal FRN Para 3 S90V. Thanks for the advice in this thread.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Hope they'll still have 1 in stock when they restart international shipping.
I'll have a s90v knife by then (got delayed, supposed to arrive tomorrow). But I've always wanted to test the Para 3 LW, and it's the best config there is for me !

Netherend

Post by Netherend »

It could just be my sharpening, but It does not hold a razor/shaving sharp edge for a long time however it holds a working edge for much longer than s30v Or LC200N. It takes forever to sharpen without the diamond rods. Has not rusted on me yet . I’d own another one if/when I could
(Pm2 s90v)
Just one more knife...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think I might know why it doesn't hold a fine edge for much long. If you are not using cbn or diamond abrasives while sharpening, some things (the vanadium carbides mainly, and more importantly) are not being cut to shape with the rest of the steel. This brings the carbides up on the surface and when you cut, some of them just fall, it's called carbide tear-out IIRC.
If you have the chance to get your hands on diamond rods it'll greatly improve the viability of your edge !

I've received my Native 5 in s90v and I'm loving it, I still need to cut for a good bit before this puppy has to be sharpened :squinting-tongue