Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Evil D »

Has anyone actually confirmed that a Pacific blade will swap into an Endura handle? I'm referring to the current Endura 4 style Pacific.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:38 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:32 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:08 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:01 am
So I’m thinking about having a friend in France get a Janisong so I can get it from him next time I visit. I wish I could just have one shipped to the US! Anyone have experience with this model?
Surely it would be easier to just drive to Reno?
Is there somewhere I can buy one in Reno?
I don't have a shop in mind, but they're legal in Nevada.
It's my understanding that Spyderco simply doesn't distribute the Janisong in the United States due to federal regulations. If anyone knows of any US dealers who have access to this knife, please let me know.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Random chat eh?

Well, I've been thinking .... and I decided that what I need is a PM2 with a serrated blade. I'm going to watch for some interesting sprints (do sprints every get done with serrated blades). There is nothing wrong with S30V and I could go that route, but it would be more fun to have an unusual steel.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:14 pm
Random chat eh?

Well, I've been thinking .... and I decided that what I need is a PM2 with a serrated blade. I'm going to watch for some interesting sprints (do sprints every get done with serrated blades). There is nothing wrong with S30V and I could go that route, but it would be more fun to have an unusual steel.
I've been pining for something new in serrated too, but haven't narrowed it down just yet. (Almost pulled the trigger on a NIB SE D'fly2 the other day, but decided to wait).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:14 pm
Random chat eh?

I've always avoided them because I was convinced they were impossible to sharpen. I am now convinced that the Sharpmaker can handle it, though I have never yet done the thing.

My only serrated Spyderco is my Jumpmaster, which is a frightening thing.

I have a ridiculous number of PM2, though I tend to carry my S30V, S45VN, and 20CV bladed knives the most.

And truth be know, if an interesting Manix showed up with a serrated blade, that would scratch my itch just fine too.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:04 pm
It's my understanding that Spyderco simply doesn't distribute the Janisong in the United States due to federal regulations. If anyone knows of any US dealers who have access to this knife, please let me know.
Ah, that's a really bummer. My mistake!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ive given SE multiple attempts now, it just doesn't do things better than a PE for me on a daily basis. But, with that said some kind of SE Manix would be hard to resist. Turn it into a Wharnie SE! :thinking :cheap-sunglasses
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Cool, a thread just for thread drift! The best conversations occur off topic 😎
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:40 am
Cool, a thread just for thread drift! The best conversations occur off topic 😎
Totally agree!! I'm always surprised when I hear someone says they don't go to off topic... that's seriously some of the most entertaining, and also knowledgeable stuff that can be found on this forum. I check it daily.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well crap, I wonder how long you've been missing?
20211010_112225.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

When was the last time you lost a knife?

I was scrambling around for a couple hours this morning trying to track down a blade I misplaced. Luckily I found it, but that confused gut punch feeling was something I had not experienced in a long time. I don't really lose stuff...

I've lost 2 quality blades in my lifetime and remember both vividly. I've also been the victim of petty theft a couple of times (not knives) and remember those incidents vividly as well...

How about you, have you ever lost a valued pocket tool?
So it goes.
archangel

Spyderco Highrunners; volumes

Post by archangel »

Is there any hard data provided by Sal or any other official as to which say 5 models are the top highrunners?

Do we know how many of those have been produced in total so far? I'd guess the #1 seller (my guess is it's the N5) has been produced in a 6digit quantity, or what do you think?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:57 pm

I think the last time I lost a knife was around 6 or 7 years ago. Lost a Kershaw Shuffle II on the way home from a night out at the pub (I had it clipped to my backpocket, I suspect it worked its way out while I was sitting).

I've also lost a Leatherman Sidekick when my car got broken into a couple of years back.

Thankfully, neither item was particularly expensive—both were back-up/beater tools.

The closest I've gotten to losing a Spyderco was when I dropped my Manbug in a snow bank at my workplace's parking lot a couple of winters ago (it was on my car keys keychain, but the spring in the mini-carabiner it was clipped to had failed). I had given up on finding it but when the snow melted a few weeks later, I found the Manbug on the ground! Now I keep it on a split ring & while I'm not superstitious or anything, have come to view it as something of a lucky charm.
James Y

Re: Spyderco Highrunners; volumes

Post by James Y »

archangel wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm
Is there any hard data provided by Sal or any other official as to which say 5 models are the top highrunners?

Do we know how many of those have been produced in total so far? I'd guess the #1 seller (my guess is it's the N5) has been produced in a 6digit quantity, or what do you think?

I don't know the answer, but I'm betting Spyderco's number one selling knife by a wide margin is either the Endura or the Delica. This includes all those bought and used by non-aficionados (most likely the majority of Spyderco owners) who do not read or post on these forums. I'm certain that both the Endura and the Delica have outsold the Native 5 by so many units that it's probably not even close.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think the Tenacious is up there.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Airlsee wrote:
Several years ago. In the Grand Canyon on a backpack trip. It was a Benchmade griptillian, the one with the Spyerco type hole. It was clipped in my pants pocket, but had a short "lanyard" loop. I am certain the loop snagged on some brush and yanked it out of my pocket. I went back and looked, spent about an hour, but never did find it. Two lessons:

1) bright colors are an excellent idea for outdoor use (unless you are a "tactical" knucklehead).

2) loop lanyards are a terrible idea unless you use them every time to hang the knife from an S-biner (as I typically do when I take my native 5 as a backpacking knife.)

I hate losing things.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Airlsee wrote:

I was scrambling around for a couple hours this morning trying to track down a blade I misplaced. Luckily I found it, but that confused gut punch feeling was something I had not experienced in a long time. I don't really lose stuff...

I've lost 2 quality blades in my lifetime and remember both vividly. I've also been the victim of petty theft a couple of times (not knives) and remember those incidents vividly as well...

In the past few years, I've misplaced two knives I valued and was lucky enough to find them. My Titanium Squarehead spent a couple months buried in a couch and my all black Ladybug Hawkbill spent a week out in a local park during the winter. It had been covered by snow and I went out retracing my steps after the snow melted and I unexpectedly found it.

(Seven years ago) I lost a Spyderco Cat while I was out with some friends one night. It was easily my most carried knife at that point, I had "EDC'd" that knife for over two years straight. I wasn't a huge collector back then and would stick with one model for a while.

Lastly, (Two years ago) I had a Fluted titanium Military Model stolen from my car by a tow truck driver. It's a long story but the knife was never recovered. :-||
- Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Sorry, that's private information.

sal
nerdlock

Re: Spyderco Highrunners; volumes

Post by nerdlock »

archangel wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm

My guess is the PM2 by a wide margin, given how almost every exclusive and sprint sells out in minutes after dropping.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I lost my Q in the dining room of the restaurant my girlfriend and I both worked at. She had take a shine to it and had “claimed” it. So I guess I lost it to her, she lost it in the dining room.