Lynch NW

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Lynch NW

Post by kennethsime »

I know I’m not the first to discuss Casey Lynch and his excellent titanium products, but I couldn’t find a centralized place on the forum so I thought I’d start one.

I wasn’t always a fan of deep carry clips, but they’ve grown on me a lot over the last year.

I also definitely thought that carrying a prybar was silly, but honestly I use my AAP more often than my knife these days. Wonderful little tool!

Here’s my Lynch NW family so far:

The clip on the Dragonfly is actually a knock-off - I ordered it at the same time as a set of titanium hardware for my modded Para 3, and assumed it must be a Lynch NW clip. Unfortunately, it’s not long enough for the intended knife (Manix). Whoops! Still fits the Dragonfly, though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Re: Lynch NW

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have a couple of clips : an essential upgrade on the Brouwer imho, and a fancy blue ano on my HH Urban.

I did acquire a fake to see whether the ergos worked for me on the Brouwer before buying the real one, as those are quite spendy here. Once the genuine item arrived it was clear the fake was significantly inferior in finish and spring tension/pocket retention, so that went in the bin.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sweet! Love them.

I confess I only own one Lynch deep clip, for a G-10 Manix in XHP. And I do like how well it functions. I recollect it was difficult to get screwed in place. I think I need ball-end drivers?
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I have a couple Lynch deep carry clips. I find them inferior **EDIT** for my preferences to MXG Gear deep carry clips. Am I an outlier here? Anyone else noticed a difference one way or the other?

I still think Casey Lynch makes an excellent product, but my experience is that the tension on Casey's clips isn't as strong as the tension on the MXG Gear clips.
Last edited by kerrcobra on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Jeremy
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Lynch clips that I have are made of thinner material than the MXG ones. Both have worked out just fine. The short Lynch clips show the flex less, the long ones can have quite a bit but never had any real problems from it.

I'm not a fan of deep carry clips on all knives, but they are very right on small knives. The Casey Lynch deep carry clip transformed the Para 3 from a meh knife to an excellent knife, for me. The standard clip and its position on that knife are really a bad combination, to me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:14 am
I have a couple Lynch deep carry clips. I find them inferior in quality to MXG Gear deep carry clips. Am I an outlier here? Anyone else noticed a difference one way or the other?
I own both.

I prefer the Lynch clips because they have less tension and therefore shred my pockets less. I haven't had any problems with them holding. Basically, the extra tension on the MXG clips that make you prefer them is the same quality that makes me prefer the Lynch clips.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

That's fair, Tom. I sand my G10 down because I don't like the grippiness that causes my pockets to get shredded. Perhaps I should've stated "inferior for my preferences" instead of "inferior in quality". They're definitely not low quality.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 am
That's fair, Tom. I sand my G10 down because I don't like the grippiness that causes my pockets to get shredded. Perhaps I should've stated "inferior for my preferences" instead of "inferior in quality". They're definitely not low quality.
I think this is an important distinction to make - I prefer Spyderco's roundhole opening system to the ubiquitous thumb stud, but CRK still makes a **** of a knife.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Casey makes a great product. Back in my Spyderco heydays, I had his clips on every knife. I have one of his clips on a Benchmade now. Good stuff. And he’s from the other side of the state, so I like to support him when I can.
Josh
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:48 pm
Casey makes a great product. Back in my Spyderco heydays, I had his clips on every knife. I have one of his clips on a Benchmade now. Good stuff. And he’s from the other side of the state, so I like to support him when I can.
Yea, I definitely appreciate that he’s a west coast “local,” and I know just where his stuff is made.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I really like Spyderco wire clips. I'd love to see wire replacements for some three-screw solid clips.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Probably have 10 or so of his clips and I love how they sign their cards with "Thanks for the Kentucky support". Always great service!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I had to look and see which of my knives have aftermarket clips. I like both Lynch and MXG Gear. Usually it's not a hard choice to decide on which, as there's often no overlap in their products.

In most situations, I prefer three screws over two. I also like the artistic flair that MXG adds to some of their shapes. The reason I go aftermarket, though, is strictly for deeper carrying. I like the top of the knife to be just barely above the top of the pocket. I despise the aesthetic when the clip extends beyond the edge of the knife. Barf. On the Native 5 LW in the picture below, the corner of the clip is just a hair proud. That's ok, but about the limit of what I can stomach.

Lynch's customer service is great, but I've never had a problem with either.
IMG_2799.jpeg
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I put Lynch clips on almost all of my Spydercos except for the ones that come with wire clips. I prefer the deeper carry. Also I’m glad he makes a left hand version of the para 3 clip, whereas mxg doesn’t. The only downside is that it seems he never has the black cerakote versions in stock.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I don't know who needs to see this, but these are dropping tomorrow...

LynchNW Sprinkled Donut Prybars for National Donut Day
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

After my 1.5 was “lost in the mail,” I quickly moved to replace it. While the website was out of stock, Casey told me they had one OD Green 1.5 left in stock. I ordered immediately, and picked up a few new clips at the same time.

DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Lynch is my absolute top recommendation for a clip. I have them on 26 of my Spydercos including 100% of my EDCs and LOVE everyone of them.

Absolutely first class product and completely a first class person! Casey absolutely takes care of us as clients.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I like both Lynch and MXG a lot. Unfortunately, MXG usually has the model I want, and Lynch usually has the finish. I can get by with an MXG model in a finish that's not quite what I want, but close. I can't get by with a Lynch clip in a finish I prefer, but that doesn't fit my knife, or that I don't like. Therefore, I probably have at least 5 times more MXG clips than Lynch.

MXG sells my favorite non-deep clip, the elegant #103021 flat clip. Lynch counters with the ingenious wire clip replacement, that unfortunately doesn't fit the knives I most want to put it on, the Mantra 2 and the Schempp Bowie. I wish Lynch would sell more of the 2-hole style, and I wish he would produce the anticipated wire clip replacing the standard 3-hole clips.

Does anyone make high-quality stainless steel deep-carry clips?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:23 am
Sweet! Love them.

I confess I only own one Lynch deep clip, for a G-10 Manix in XHP. And I do like how well it functions. I recollect it was difficult to get screwed in place. I think I need ball-end drivers?
Casey has instructions for installation that after reading thought it was sorts hokey. I tried it and was shocked how easy it was to put on following his tip . I like his nice touch providing extra set of screws pretty classy of them . I want to try the wire clip replacement clip but knife I want to put on Is not listed , I have others that are so worth a chance to see if it will work . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 pm
I want to try the wire clip replacement clip but knife I want to put on Is not listed , I have others that are so worth a chance to see if it will work . Dan
Dan, the wire clip replacement works on the models whose screw securing the clip is roughly centered on the grooves, rather than at the end. For example, it works great on the Manix 2 LW as shown in the OP, but not at all on the Schempp Bowie or the Mantra 2. It fits the UKPK and the Dragonfly 2, but both of those knives have OEM wire clips that suit them very well.

To me, the wire replacement clip is best either on larger knives that might look better with a solid clip, on knives with titanium handles, or in cases where you might be color-matching hardware or scales. I'm not sure whether it's more secure than the OEM wire clips, or not. My guess is not.