Caribbean Which Blade--My First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Caribbean Which Blade--My First Spyderco

Post by Evil D »

I prefer the belly shape of the sheepsfoot but I also like (and often need) more blade point for piercing things so I modified the sheepsfoot into what I like to call a sheepscliffe. Best of both worlds IMO unless you actually need the blunt tip for safety concerns. The sheepsfoot also has a wee bit more edge length than the leaf blade but it also just slightly wider when folded but the thumb hole also sticks out a little bit more from the handle as a result. The two blade shapes are more than simple blade shapes when you compare them side by side.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BrianPatrick wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 am
welcome to the forum!

Blade type and edge type will depend on what you're cutting. Is this going to be a 'close to salt water every day carry' scenario or is this going to be a 'I need to cut rope, gut fish, and open clams on a daily basis' scenario?
I will be a EDC scenario and I am on my boat about 2 days a week. I use filet knifes for fish and bait, but It's nice to have a knife in pocket for when I can't find my other tools around, like cutting a line, maybe cutting a bait, but probably not prying open a clam.

For me SE works better than PE in almost any task, and since you have filet knives for fish anyway: Do yourself a favor and go with SE! More versatile, will hold an edge longer and will still "cut" should it ever go dull (where PE would be pretty much useless)

I think I´d do like David did, get the sheepsfoot and give it a pointier tip.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 am

this was my plan when i bought mine, but i like the blunt tip to help me justify the knife for emergency use.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 am

this was my plan when i bought mine, but i like the blunt tip to help me justify the knife for emergency use.
I don't know about the Caribbean, but on my Salt 2 ffg the blade is so thin, especially at the tip, that the tip is still "pointy"/useful enough for me, despite it looks pretty "blunt/sheepsfooty".

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:00 am
I prefer the belly shape of the sheepsfoot but I also like (and often need) more blade point for piercing things so I modified the sheepsfoot into what I like to call a sheepscliffe. Best of both worlds IMO unless you actually need the blunt tip for safety concerns. The sheepsfoot also has a wee bit more edge length than the leaf blade but it also just slightly wider when folded but the thumb hole also sticks out a little bit more from the handle as a result. The two blade shapes are more than simple blade shapes when you compare them side by side.

That is one my favorite blade shapes, despite not owning one. It reminds me of the late A.G. Russell’s General Purpose blade shape except with less belly. Very nice mod that should be adopted by Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:22 pm
BrianPatrick wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 am
Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:51 am
Unless you have a specific use for the Caribbean which favors the sheepsfoot blade or the SE edge, I would (and did!) go with the PE leaf. It is the most universal option IMO. But also do check out the Siren if you are a fisherman.
I want to get my hands on the Siren as I am a fisherman. I want to see how I like the Back Lock compared the the Compression Lock. So many options, which is a good problem to have.
I really like my Siren. I also really like my Caribbean. You wouldn’t go wrong with either one but may I suggest you watch some YouTube videos from Surfergringo, he is the designer of the Spyderco Waterway and the Siren. Something else to consider… you may want to get the Siren first that way if you decide you want a serrated knife later you don’t have duplicates.
I will be sure to check out some videos. Thanks
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

Evil D wrote:

Looks good. No way I have the skills to attempt something like this on my very first Spyderco though :D
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Evil D wrote:

Someone made a pointy sheepsfoot at one point as a test or Sprint (I want to say it was Bradford) but they called it the Toenail
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Great choice, its a fantastic knife, one of spydercos best, I use mine nearly every day.
I went with the PE leaf after thinking very hard about getting the serrated model, im very happy.
Id suggest you don't get a SE as your first Spyderco, the safe option is plain edge.
cheers