Should the Kiwi 4 get a Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Kiwi 4 Sprint Run

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 29

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Should the Kiwi 4 get a Sprint?

Post by Doc Dan »

Should the Kiwi 4 get a Sprint Run with upgraded steel and a color besides black?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Re: Should the Kiwi 4 get a Sprint?

Post by Mushroom »

Yes, it should!

I'm not picky, I would just be happy to see a sprint. :spyder:
- Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It should have been a nice gents knife in the first place.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely, I'd be in for almost any combination.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

I voted Yes because I have a Kiwi 4 and think it’s a great model, but am a little scared of the price point. It would depend on the price and the specific steel/scale combo offered for me. I didn’t jump on the standard model until it was discontinued and on sale.
:spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No, but the original c75 should get a sprint.
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 10.55.03 AM.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

I'd be happy just finding a kiwi 4 in decent shape.
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1]

Yes please, XHP or K390 perhaps, I'd love to see wood scales like the last Chaparral...
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I would absolutely love to see the Kiwi 4 get a sprint. It's one knife I really regret having missed.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It’s Moki made so ZDP/cf, superblue/grey or HAP40/green should all be options and they would all appeal to folks who already enjoy one of the other knives in that configuration. There was also the awesome Damascus Caly3 with CF and a SS bolster. That would be awesome!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:17 pm
It’s Moki made so ZDP/cf, superblue/grey or HAP40/green should all be options and they would all appeal to folks who already enjoy one of the other knives in that configuration. There was also the awesome Damascus Caly3 with CF and a SS bolster. That would be awesome!

I would be so incredibly pleased with a solid Super Blue version with carbon fiber scales. Holy moly. Bolsters would surely send it even further into the cost stratosphere but it would make it a legitimate gent's knife. Even just ZDP and CF would be awesome.

Honestly though I would also be super happy with just contoured stainless and VG10 like the last Kopa was.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd be in for a Kiwi 4 Sprint
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Micarta pants would look good on one.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What about titanium liners and bolsters?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I voted no, because too many sprints! I would prefer any number of other knives first. How often has Spyderco brought back a model after it has left production? Do they save tooling or dies for models not in production? It seems like that if they don’t then the knife would never be made again.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The "tacticool" look of the original Kiwi 4 was a total turn-off for me. Would love to see a bolstered version or, at the very least, one with an attractive scale material like the birdseye maple Chaparral's. As for steel, I'd prefer it remain VG-10, but as long as whatever gets used is at least that corrosion resistant, I'd get one. That said, not sure what the chances of getting anything out of Moki these days are like and even less sure Spyderco would move production to, say, Taichung, just for a Sprint.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Even at roughly $140, the black g10 and VG10 Kiwi 4 was widely regarded as "too expensive."

I would really question how many people will still be in for a "fancier" version when they see the price it will actually cost.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:53 am
Even at roughly $140, the black g10 and VG10 Kiwi 4 was widely regarded as "too expensive."

I would really question how many people will still be in for a "fancier" version when they see the price it will actually cost.

It needs to be fancy enough to get the attention of the gent's knife crowd. $140 was a lot for "just black G10 and VG10".
~David
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:35 am
The "tacticool" look of the original Kiwi 4 was a total turn-off for me. Would love to see a bolstered version or, at the very least, one with an attractive scale material like the birdseye maple Chaparral's. As for steel, I'd prefer it remain VG-10, but as long as whatever gets used is at least that corrosion resistant, I'd get one. That said, not sure what the chances of getting anything out of Moki these days are like and even less sure Spyderco would move production to, say, Taichung, just for a Sprint.
I don't understand how black g10 and vg10, mainstays of mulitiple spydercos lines, come to mean "tacticool"?

I figured it was actually a way to keep costs down while still offering a legit, lightweight easy to carry gents knife w a great steel.

Now, I'll agree the g10 could stand to be radiused like the mods seen on this forum but am I really one of the few here that enjoyed the look of the kiwi 4?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Supacede wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:42 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:35 am
I don't understand how black g10 and vg10, mainstays of mulitiple spydercos lines, come to mean "tacticool"?

I figured it was actually a way to keep costs down while still offering a legit, lightweight easy to carry gents knife w a great steel.

Now, I'll agree the g10 could stand to be radiused like the mods seen on this forum but am I really one of the few here that enjoyed the look of the kiwi 4?
You are not alone, it's one of my favorites. :cool: Definitely in my top 10 Spyderco list.