Compression lock Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Compression lock Manix

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the CBBL once it is broken in. When new it is stiff. I also like the mid backlock...which I prefer. Either lock is fine. I think Spyderco might have a riot on their hands if they made a comp lock Manix :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'm not a fan of the CBBL. No doubt it's strong and reliable. I have a few Manix 2 variants but I don't use them because the lock is fiddly and awkward to use one handed. Opening the knife is fine but closing it is a pain.

I think I would carry the Manix far more if it was a back lock or a compression lock.

The CBBL is for me, is the lock I like the least, that Spyderco use.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Well one thing the CBBL and backlock versions have in common is the nice solid platform for your thumb, though some of us like to grind down the liner jimping for an even nicer feel on the G-10 models. And that could be compromised by a compression lock, maybe depending on the design.

It's amazing how knife lovers are so concerned about the semantics and nomenclature involved in all this. It wouldn't surprise me if some misogynistic CBBL lover started calling this hypothetical compression lock version a "Womanix." :rolleyes:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DougC-3 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:26 am
Well one thing the CBBL and backlock versions have in common is the nice solid platform for your thumb, though some of us like to grind down the liner jimping for an even nicer feel on the G-10 models. And that could be compromised by a compression lock, maybe depending on the design.

Not only that CBBL and backlock knives offer a "nicer platform for the thumb": Actually the comp. lock cutout can create a real hotspot in that place - not too seldom mentioned here, but only by folks who actually use their folders a lot and over extended periods of time. Not an issue in the usual/typical short time, lighter use of a folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 am
I'm not a fan of the CBBL. No doubt it's strong and reliable. I have a few Manix 2 variants but I don't use them because the lock is fiddly and awkward to use one handed. Opening the knife is fine but closing it is a pain.

I think I would carry the Manix far more if it was a back lock or a compression lock.

The CBBL is for me, is the lock I like the least, that Spyderco use.

I totally respect, but just can't replicate your findings... don't want to link my vids again, but there are at least 6 ways to conveniently close a CBBL one handed, and for me it is a lot less "fiddly" (especially with gloves) and safer in hand while operating the lock than a comp.lock...

To each their own I guess! :)

I'd have assumed that maybe you had a particularly stiff CBBL, but since you own "a few Manix variants" this can be ruled out I guess.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:36 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 pm
The first Manix had a backlock so I guess all the CBBLs are named wrong :eek: :D
preach! :D

Nice pair! I'm glad you showed them together, which gives me some perspective on the size of the Chief, which I've never seen in person. Also, I've never seen the lockback XL in that G-10 color -- oh, wait -- that's the foliage green model -- I was thinking grey--very nice.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
vivi

Post by vivi »

IIRC only 600 were made. Missed the original run but managed to score a NIB one recently for a good price. Gonna have to carry it sometime soon!
:unicorn
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:22 am

There are several issues that I have with it.

To start, the amount of pressure required to disengage it is far too great, for how little purchase there is on the cage.

Then there is the cage, which is far too slick despite the grip pattern applied to it. (Likely the crux of the matter)

I find that the only way I can reliably operate it, is to pinch the cage between my fingers and pull the butt of the knife into the palm of my hand. It's just not an intuitive motion for me.

I have had many models with both the BBL and CBBL. Throughout my usage, I find that I much prefer the BBL. Although, I actively avoid both, which is very sad, as one of my favorite models is the SE Dodo...

Atleast with the BBL, I can jam the meat of my thumb in there and pull back.

In it's current form, I do not like it, will not purchase a model that utilizes it and do not forsee that changing, unless it does.

I have not yet tried the Bolt Action Lock. But, it's on the list. Just waiting to find the right deal. I feel like the stepped stub might be easier to manipulate with one finger.

We'll see.
I had issues similar to what you mention when I first got a Manix 2 G10. The lock was way to strong for me to disengage one handed. I had to hold onto the butt of the knife with my other hand while trying to release the lock. I disassembled it and removed 2.5 coils from the spring, that fixed my issues. I'm now able to open it with one finger. The texturing is fine with the lower spring pressure. I must have built hand strength since then because when I got a LW it was very easy to unlock with the original spring.
Matus wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm
I have tested cbbl on Manix only briefly. Did not like the stiff spring too much and the blade action was a bit stiff too, but my understanding is that the knife would eventually break in
I bought a well used Manix 2, it was 7yrs old. The spring was still to stiff for me.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'd probably buy manix w a compression lock if spyderco made one but only because I'm weak and would "need" one. The manix is great as is. The ford f150 of knives
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

That is one reason I returned a Manix2 lw. The spring was way too stiff and the button was plastic and not all that comfortable. Also, it was just too large for my hand to feel relaxed and comfortable in any but that "locked in" grip that so many mention. But, just like available lock choices, there are many size choices to choose from. Maybe if enough are interested, there may be a run of Manix' with compression locks. I can't t hink of another knife company with this kind of variety to choose from.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I must be doing something different when I unlock the CBBL because every knife from the first run of pikal folders to the M4 Manix XL has been easy enough for me to unlock with just my thumb.

I thought that was the whole point of switching from the bare ball to the caged ball really.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:56 pm
I must be doing something different when I unlock the CBBL because every knife from the first run of pikal folders to the M4 Manix XL has been easy enough for me to unlock with just my thumb.

I more and more assume that there could be some kind of technique or (for some) learning curve involved with the CBBL:
I mean I certainly don't have weak fingers, but I have a hard time to believe that this should be the sole reason that I - like you - could operate every CBBL I tried so far easily with just the thumb. So "one fingered", while some even struggle to do this one handed... ?

Don't have a Manix here right now, so I can't try, but perhaps it is about not only sliding the lock tab backwards but also how much (or little) pressure one applies on it or something like this - ?
Ric

Post by Ric »

I tried wirh my Mini Griptilian with Spyderhole.
With 2 fingers engaging the CBBL the blade drops free.

With 1 finger not free dropping. Only with wrist action.

Which is explainable as the CBBL still touches the blade due to an inclined position.

Anyway, even the standard Manix is too big for me. Please bring a lil manix.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:04 pm
I tried wirh my Mini Griptilian with Spyderhole.
With 2 fingers engaging the CBBL the blade drops free.

With 1 finger not free dropping. Only with wrist action.

Which is explainable as the CBBL still touches the blade due to an inclined position.

Anyway, even the standard Manix is too big for me. Please bring a lil manix.

The Minigriptilian does not feature a CBBL, but an axxis lock... the latter is even easier (TOO easy) to unlock as than the CBBL. I personally prefer the CBBL over the axxis lock in all other aspects too tbh.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just sat down and played with a G-10 Manix and a Manix LW for several minutes.

When I press my thumb back (toward the butt end of the knife) the blade falls free. When I push my thumb in (toward the center line of the knife) it's much harder to disengage the lock with just my thumb. The trick appears to be that I position my thumb at the 'corner' of the cage toward the pivot end of the knife. When my thumb 'wraps' that corner, it is easy to pull 'back' and disengage the lock with just the thumb. If I place my thumb on the 'ramp' so that it isn't on the corner, I have to press in hard to generate enough grip to move the cage, and it's much harder to disengage the lock.

It's harder to do (but still possible) with the LW--I think because there is some tiny flex in the frame.

For what it's worth, I also played with a BM Nakamura and a Hogue Ritter, and they both have much 'lighter' locks that disengage easily with just the thumb. Personally I prefer the CBBL. That BM has come open in my pocket before.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not sure if it will help anyone, but here is how I unlock mine:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KaLfcgqOP5I

Neither Manix is difficult to unlock with one finger (thumb or index). Neither had their springs trimmed. Pivots are kept tight enough to avoid free swinging. It takes inertia to swing the blade shut like I show with the second Manix.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I like to just pull back on both sides of the cage with the butt of the knife held against the bottom corner of my palm and let the blade fall in by gravity. No flipping necessary. Three fingers on the bottom edge of the clip and thumb and forefinger on the cage pull the butt of the knife firmly against the lower corner of my palm. It's very easy and reliable.

I can do it with just the thumb and flipping the blade in with the forefinger only. But the other way seems quicker and more easy and reliable to me. The trick is to have it securely against your hand, which makes it very easy to pull on the cage. I don't understand the part about the cage being slick or hard to pull, if you hold the knife against something: the palm and heel of your hand. When I first got a Manix, I wondered why they didn't put the liner jimping on the butt of the knife so it wouldn't slip off your palm, but I learned to hold in in place by gripping the clip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:21 am
i went went through a similar conundrum... the answer? caribbean.

Yeah pretty much this.

I went back and forth between the PM2 and Manix 2 years ago and back then the Manix 2 won by ergonomics and for a time I even preferred the CBBL but I started to dislike how I have to position the handle in my palm in order to get leverage on the lock. There are things I don't love about the compression lock but it gets the job done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hand and finger strength do matter when it comes to lock types. Many people have pretty weak hands/fingers and I did too when I first got a Manix 2. The lock used to seem tough to open with just my thumb. Months later after much hand labor in the yard, the lock seemed easier to open. I did hand exercises as well with those squeeze balls designed for strength training and/or rehab.

If I didn’t say it before, I don’t want a comp lock Manix, but if they make one it will sell very well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:17 am
I'm the opposite. The CBBL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think Spyderco should modify all its Compression Lock knives to accommodate the CBBL. PM2 with a CBBL? Now THAT would get my attention!
i agree, and make some that are smaller. para 3 and chap sized.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9