Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Post by ladybug93 »

i find it's especially an issue when dealing with laws. for example, my favorite knife is the manix 2. it has about 3" of cutting edge, but by law, the blade is closer to 3.5". if the law states i can only carry a 3" knife, i can't carry my favorite knife, even though it has a 3" blade. personally, i like the choil on the manix and i like them on smaller knives. i can definitely see a benefit to not having all that extra length counting against you though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 am
i find it's especially an issue when dealing with laws. for example, my favorite knife is the manix 2. it has about 3" of cutting edge, but by law, the blade is closer to 3.5". if the law states i can only carry a 3" knife, i can't carry my favorite knife, even though it has a 3" blade. personally, i like the choil on the manix and i like them on smaller knives. i can definitely see a benefit to not having all that extra length counting against you though.

Yes, but again: The Rockjumper blade does exceed the 3" legal limit, and would easily stay under 3.5" even if made as long as possible...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:54 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 am

Yes, but again: The Rockjumper blade does exceed the 3" legal limit, and would easily stay under 3.5" even if made as long as possible...
i know. i'm just speaking about the idea of having more blade and less ricasso, which was a stated goal in the development of the rockjumper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

So over the weekend I put the Rockjumper PE to work. I took to a lot of Rope, cardboard, and brush with a lot of hard working cuts. I burned through a ton of material. I think it lives up to its description of being durable and reliable. The handle size is perfect for hard use. Not too big and not too specific to any one position. The subtle swoop at the very end of the handle is perfect for cranking out that last bit of leverage in certain cuts. I don't have too many wharncliffe blades, but I'm liking them more and more. I certainly still look forward to the Leaf Jumper, but there's just a consistent feel with cutting with a wharncliffe. What I don't like with a wharnie is having to end a cut farther from the ground. I found myself not being able to get as close to the ground with a cut; as I wanted to preserve my edge and tip. Not a huge deal by any means. Some of these Youtuber influencers mentioned not being being able to drop shut. They certainly didn't tune them right or wear them in because this backlock is insanely smooth. Solid lock-up and no blade play. It just glides open. I love the bias to shut spans the last 1/3 of the travel, yet this knife will still flick open with little effort. The scales are wide enough that I can drop shut one handed, unlocking with my index finger while holding the knife between my palm & thumb and other 3 fingers. I like that the no frills design is more inviting to hard use and abuse. The only minor shortcoming is the VG-10. The way I prefer my knives to cut, one day of really hard use with this knife invites me to sharpen it after I'm done. A steel with a marginally more durable edge would have been nice to have out the gate. Spyderco should go ahead and plan the next steel iteration because it'll be a guaranteed buy with me. That said, the VG-10 took one of the best edges I've ever put on my knives using water stones because the wharnie lends itself to easily find your target sharpening angle.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 pm
So over the weekend I put the Rockjumper PE to work. I took to a lot of Rope, cardboard, and brush with a lot of hard working cuts. I burned through a ton of material. I think it lives up to its description of being durable and reliable. The handle size is perfect for hard use. Not too big and not too specific to any one position. The subtle swoop at the very end of the handle is perfect for cranking out that last bit of leverage in certain cuts. I don't have too many wharncliffe blades, but I'm liking them more and more. I certainly still look forward to the Leaf Jumper, but there's just a consistent feel with cutting with a wharncliffe. What I don't like with a wharnie is having to end a cut farther from the ground. I found myself not being able to get as close to the ground with a cut; as I wanted to preserve my edge and tip. Not a huge deal by any means. Some of these Youtuber influencers mentioned not being being able to drop shut. They certainly didn't tune them right or wear them in because this backlock is insanely smooth. Solid lock-up and no blade play. It just glides open. I love the bias to shut spans the last 1/3 of the travel, yet this knife will still flick open with little effort. The scales are wide enough that I can drop shut one handed, unlocking with my index finger while holding the knife between my palm & thumb and other 3 fingers. I like that the no frills design is more inviting to hard use and abuse. The only minor shortcoming is the VG-10. The way I prefer my knives to cut, one day of really hard use with this knife invites me to sharpen it after I'm done. A steel with a marginally more durable edge would have been nice to have out the gate. Spyderco should go ahead and plan the next steel iteration because it'll be a guaranteed buy with me. That said, the VG-10 took one of the best edges I've ever put on my knives using water stones because the wharnie lends itself to easily find your target sharpening angle.

Great writeup, pretty much echos my experiences. Wharnies do tend to favor "mid air cuts" much more than cutting against a flat surface, and the RJ is almost hawkbill-ish in how it cuts because it has some negative blade angle too. Mine also has one of the best pivot actions I've experienced and drops shut just fine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

The Delica and the Endura are the only two Spydercos that I have in VG-10. I waited until the Endela came out in K390 before I picked one up and I think I will do the same with the Rockjumper. It does look like a 'must have', but I will wait patiently something other than VG-10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

drexcell wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 pm
The Delica and the Endura are the only two Spydercos that I have in VG-10. I waited until the Endela came out in K390 before I picked one up and I think I will do the same with the Rockjumper. It does look like a 'must have', but I will wait patiently something other than VG-10.

Another option I may suggest: Get the Rock Jumper in VG10 anyway, but in serrated edge!
VG10 is one of the best steels for SE imho, and the edge retention will also be better than in PE
As a "little bonus" ;) you´d get better performance in most cutting tasks...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

drexcell wrote:

Sometimes this is a bad idea and can lead to missing the knife altogether if they get discontinued. I held out for a FRN D'Allara 3 but it never happened (though I think it will eventually). With the RJ I think it will happen too since they invested in FRN molds right from the start, just saying gotta be careful with this strategy.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm carrying mine today. I have to say this is one of the most perfect designs available. I'm even coming around to loving the thumb ramp after years of leaning towards not having thumb ramps. On this knife the thumb ramp is far enough back towards the handle that I can comfortably extend my thumb out on top of it when I want a Filipino grip, or I can switch to a saber grip and go to the back of the ramp.

I'm still a little bothered by the wee bit of tang that's still exposed. I've thought about grinding it down to at least a more rounded shape that's less likely to snag but that would effect the kick part too so this would be better done by the factory. I figured this would be cheaper and easier than changing the shape of the FRN molds to extend the handle forward enough to cover it completely. Either way I hope this is something that's improved with the Cliff Jumper/Sequoia.

Which brings me to my other one gripe...every time I pick it up I think of how much more I'd like it if it were a bit larger. I think for most people this is a great size, it can do most things that people will do in EDC, I just prefer a bit more reach. I'm really interested in how the leaf blade will turn out. If it has a shallow belly like a Manix 2 I may end up preferring it over the wharnie.

Mine has developed a good amount of up and down jiggle when opened, so much that I've considered sending it to Golden to see what they think of it. It doesn't bother me much but it feels like a lot for a relatively new knife, I haven't used this one nearly as much or hard as my Caribbeans.
~David
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Evil D- mine has developed more up and down jiggle than I thought it would. Not anything like the Siren lock issue, but still a little disappointing. Keep us posted what Golden says.
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 pm
drexcell wrote:

Another option I may suggest: Get the Rock Jumper in VG10 anyway, but in serrated edge!
VG10 is one of the best steels for SE imho, and the edge retention will also be better than in PE
That is probably good advice. At this point I don't have any serrated edge knives..... maybe it's time to try something a little different.

Thanks.
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 am
drexcell wrote:

Sometimes this is a bad idea and can lead to missing the knife altogether if they get discontinued. I held out for a FRN D'Allara 3 but it never happened (though I think it will eventually). With the RJ I think it will happen too since they invested in FRN molds right from the start, just saying gotta be careful with this strategy.
They wouldn't do that to me! I think that the Rockjumper is going to do well enough that there will be options available. Having said that, I was saving up my allowance for a Slysz Bowie and that got discontinued....... That still hurts. I will be careful though. Thanks for the input.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

drexcell wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 pm
drexcell wrote:
That is probably good advice. At this point I don't have any serrated edge knives..... maybe it's time to try something a little different.

Thanks.
I am sure you would not regret it... ;)
I don´t have a RockJumper yet (but if I get one it will be in SE) - perhaps David / Evil D, who has one and posted in this thread can tell you how he likes the particular serrations on his (can´t recall right now)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The RockJumper’s claim to fame is, I think, the manner in which the ricasso safely meets the index finger while closing. Choiled/notched Spydies do the same, but at considerable cost to edge-length, which the RockJumper maximizes.

With the arrival the other day of my LiI’Temp3 (wow!), I’m reminded that Sal’s “handle-forward” experiment (which I understand to be max-edge plus safe-close) has a longer history.

Thinking aloud, I wonder if handle-forwardness is a special case of maximize edge-length. Both the Caribbean and Siren maximize this length but require more attention for safe closure.

-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 am
The RockJumper’s claim to fame is, I think, the manner in which the ricasso safely meets the index finger while closing. Choiled/notched Spydies do the same, but at considerable cost to edge-length, which the RockJumper maximizes.

Actually it does not really... Backlock knives like the Stretch 1 or Caly 3.5 do have a choil, but still offer more edge in relation to the handle length than the RockJumper does (below the cutting edge lengths, not the blade lengths)

RockJumper (no choil) : Handle length 113 mm (4,43 ") ; cutting edge 72 mm (2.85")
Stretch 1 (featuring a choil): Handle length also 113mm (4.43") ; cutting edge 81 mm (3.2 ")
Caly 3.5 (CF / ZDP version): Handle length 108mm (4.25 "= ; cutting edge 78mm (3.08 ")

As said, I think the RockJumper (wharnie) is perfect as it is, but I´d have hoped that the LEAF Jumper had more edge - so in that regard become a "new Stretch 1 / Caly 3.5" for days when one wants a lot of edge in a compact package.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:16 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Actually it does not really... Backlock knives like the Stretch 1 or Caly 3.5 do have a choil, but still offer more edge in relation to the handle length than the RockJumper does (below the cutting edge lengths, not the blade lengths)

RockJumper (no choil) : Handle length 113 mm (4,43 ") ; cutting edge 72 mm (2.85")
Stretch 1 (featuring a choil): Handle length also 113mm (4.43") ; cutting edge 81 mm (3.2 ")
Caly 3.5 (CF / ZDP version): Handle length 108mm (4.25 "= ; cutting edge 78mm (3.08 ")

As said, I think the RockJumper (wharnie) is perfect as it is, but I´d have hoped that the LEAF Jumper had more edge - so in that regard become a "new Stretch 1 / Caly 3.5" for days when one wants a lot of edge in a compact package.
I think you’ve missed my point (and not for the first time).

Put a choil (instead of a guard) on the RockJumper and lose some edge. Take out the choil of a Stretch or Caly 3.5 and gain some edge. Pretty simple...actually.

How different models compare in their handle/edge ratio doesn’t factor into what I’ve said.

The comparison photo I provided was merely to show what an index finger faces on closing a blade on models with a maxed-out edge.

Each of the four knives pictured provides some protection, but none as generously as the RockJumper, which is what I think sets it apart and why I bothered to post here.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:16 am
wrdwrght wrote:

I think you’ve missed my point (and not for the first time).

Put a choil (instead of a guard) on the RockJumper and lose some edge. Take out the choil of a Stretch or Caly 3.5 and gain some edge. Pretty simple...actually.

How different models compare in their handle/edge ratio doesn’t factor into what I’ve said.

The comparison photo I provided was merely to show what an index finger faces on closing a blade on models with a maxed-out edge.

Each of the four knives pictured provides some protection, but none as generously as the RockJumper, which is what I think sets it apart and why I bothered to post here.
Sorry if I missed your point! :o (can´t recall when before though, but you´ll be right)

What I think (unrelated to what you said!): If one puts a choil on the existing RockJumper, of course even more edge length would be lost.
But actually the area where other folders have a choil/Ricasso on the RockJumper is just covered by the FRN (handle). This is (or at least will be for many) a good thing of course, since the hand is close to the edge while holding a full (FRN...) handle.
But does not necessarely make for a longer edge/blade.

IF the RockJumper would be modified into a knife with choil (in theory, it would of course make no sense at all practically speaking), I think the handle would just be shortened so the Ricasso/choil area would get exposed and that area made into a choil... and we´d have a typical "choil Spyderco" with average dimensions (not a bad thing too of course!)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you gave the RJ a choil you'd make a wharnie Stretch 2.

WHY isn't there a wharnie Stretch 2!?? :eek:

It's kind of unfair to compare blade to handle ratios with this knife because it really could squeeze in more blade length into the handle so it's at a disadvantage despite the way the design maximizes edge length.

Then again, another way to look at this design is that it really doesn't maximize edge length, it maximizes HANDLE length. It really doesn't bring the edge to the handle as much as it brings the handle to the edge. It has the typical amount of ricasso as a Delica or Endura, it's just covered by the handle to use that space more efficiently.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just think of the rockjumper as a wharncliffe delica in a more comfortable handle with a more neutral grip. i'm not sure i understand the whole grip to blade length ratio obsession.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 am
i just think of the rockjumper as a wharncliffe delica in a more comfortable handle with a more neutral grip. i'm not sure i understand the whole grip to blade length ratio obsession.

I just look at it like I'm getting more knife for my money. Part of it probably has to do with my preference for bigger knives in general.
~David