Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a "Spyderhawk 2" with features similar to the Tasman Salt 2?

Yes, I would be very interested in a redesigned Spyderhawk.
43%
Maybe, but I'd probably be just as happy if they did another Sprint Run of the old Spyderhawk.
36%
No, I'm not really interested in this model.
21%

Total votes: 95

ugaarguy

Re: Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Post by ugaarguy »

No jumping, yes to doing it as an SE Salt in the Pac Salt 2 handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was thinking about this and I guess the answer will likely be poor sales, but I don't understand why there isn't a Spyderhawk in production already. Maybe an updated version with FFG will breathe new life into this sort of knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes, but keep it SE H1. Just like the Sprint Spyderhawk, but updated, and not Sprint. So not just like it, I guess. I'd get one to use it. I haven't used or carried my Sprint Spyderhawk, and am reluctant to do so, because it is not replaceable.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Didn’t vote.

Don’t want to stand in anyone’s way.

Have an original and love it but, like the Pac Salt, don’t need the next iteration.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm
Make it FFG LC200N to seal the deal.
I like that proposal myself. I would like to add a nice G-10 handle as well.

Until we get a premium Hawkbill model it's going to be a very limited market I'm afraid. A really high quality unit will make a lot of believers out of people.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I’d love for Spyderco to do with LC200N what they’ve done with S110V and Maxamet, where they offer a whole alternative line of existing folders with the upgraded steel. We already have the excellent LC200N Native 5 Salt. It would be great to have LC200N versions of the Para Military 2, Para 3, and Manix 2 as well.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm
skeeg11 wrote:

Until we get a premium Hawkbill model it's going to be a very limited market I'm afraid. A really high quality unit will make a lot of believers out of people.
I would like to see a G10 hawkbill too. Linerless would be my preference but I'd settle for liners too. Sure wish they'd use the police 4 handle to make something bigger than the Spyderhawk or maybe do a special run of the civilian with a hawkbill blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm
skeeg11 wrote:

I would like to see a G10 hawkbill too. Linerless would be my preference but I'd settle for liners too. Sure wish they'd use the police 4 handle to make something bigger than the Spyderhawk or maybe do a special run of the civilian with a hawkbill blade.
It just makes perfect sense VASH when you think about it. Because if they had at least one premium grade model of a Hawkbill I do believe it would spark the interests of many more knife fans to check out Hawkbill blades. There are so many people over the years that I knew that didn't like Hawkbills until I would loan them one of mine or to guarantee they would like it or I would buy it from them. And most of them ended up liking them a lot.

You absolutely must try out a Hawkbill first hand before you can appreciate the jobs they are good for. The Superhawk was a nice attempt at making a premium Hawkbill but they never offered it in SE for whatever reason :confused:

I do believe a premium grade Spyderhawk would draw more people to using Hawkbill blades.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bumping for Spyderhawk 2 LW Salt SE!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have one I haven't used, because it's my only Sprint Run. Silly, I know, but I can't get myself to do it. Maybe if there was another run of them, (I know they have to be different in some way), I would buy one and use that.
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

I'm all for this (H1 or other steels but hollow ground) and would also like an Ultra-hawk? based on the Police 4 as well.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sal mentioned a long time ago that he'd like to redesign the SpyderHawk (before the Salt version was made). I didn't care for the changes he mentioned, but lucky for me he left it alone aside from the materials. I'd have to see what he comes up with before I'd say "I'll buy it".
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Oh man, I hope they do another sprint of this knife. I have one of the Orange handled sprints, and Id love another flavor of this design.
Frizank9009

Post by Frizank9009 »

ThomC wrote:
I've been fascinated by this knife ever since I saw it here in the forums.
I'd be interested in a new version with a longer blade, say 4 inches of edge, because that implies a longer handle and it fits my hand better.
I'll even take a Golden-made Hawk in LC200N. Maybe a different handle colour ? Or another handle material ?
Read my mind. 👍
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Would definitely appreciate a steel upgrade to LC200n!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm
Sal mentioned a long time ago that he'd like to redesign the SpyderHawk (before the Salt version was made). I didn't care for the changes he mentioned, but lucky for me he left it alone aside from the materials. I'd have to see what he comes up with before I'd say "I'll buy it".
I think it would be so cool to design the Spyderhawk with a ball bearing lock to start off with. Then they could add some G-10 handle scales like I mentioned earlier. Maybe do a really elaborate version with a "Marlinspike" or a glass breaker as well.

I love the slick way that ball bearing lock works. I'm wide open on blade steel>> however with all this recent talk about K390 blade steel maybe this would be a really good item to consider as well.
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

I never got a chance to experience the original Spyderhawk. A Spyderhawk 2 with H1 in SE in the pac salt handles would make me a happy man!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like big Hawkbills and I want one!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm
I wouldn't even mind if Spyderco were to eventually come out with a Hawkbill even bigger than the Spyderhawk. I've loved the Spyderhawk model ever since I got my first one in 2003 when it was first launched in VG-10 blade steel. I still have an "Endura-Hawk" along with the Blue PE ( ultra rare) version both in VG-10.

However if a Hawkbill were to be made bigger than the Spyderhawk I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just to make one that big in a fixed blade? That Spyderco "Class of 2003" sure had some iconic models.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm
I wouldn't even mind if Spyderco were to eventually come out with a Hawkbill even bigger than the Spyderhawk. I've loved the Spyderhawk model ever since I got my first one in 2003 when it was first launched in VG-10 blade steel. I still have an "Endura-Hawk" along with the Blue PE ( ultra rare) version both in VG-10.

However if a Hawkbill were to be made bigger than the Spyderhawk I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just to make one that big in a fixed blade? That Spyderco "Class of 2003" sure had some iconic models.
Lol that sounds good to me!
I wrote a little post in the Byrd discussion forum about a very large Reverse S knife. This is in a similar vein I think.

Unfortunately for me (Spyderco-wise), I figured out how to walk right around ‘03. Missed out on a couple things. :o

It’s cool to talk to people like you who have a long lasting, to me, history with these knives.
How would I know about them if you weren’t around? Not trying to say you’re old! I’m just rather young compared to most here. :p
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: