C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by sal »

Hi Amon,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for sharing. That type of accumulation of a particular model takes a lot of attention and effort as many here know. You'll fit right in.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

benben wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 pm
Holy crap! I just scored one at what I’d call reasonable. I assumed I’d be waiting for the sprint, but I’ll have tracking this afternoon and it will def give my orange Endura K390 (blade swap) some shelf time for work until...
Congratulations!! I know exactly how you feel, the day I found mine at a gun show I just about didn't go to, I had a pretty stupid grin on my face all that day! When I saw it in a glass case it was wrapped up in some white protective foam and in a clear zip baggie, I could barely make out it's silhouette. My first thought was "is that what I think it is?" I paid the man and ran to my car! :D
I’ve been similarly elated since last week.

That’s when I got my first Ayoob, the G10 sprint. I’m glad to see this material is what Mas wanted in the original.

Suffice to say, JD’s persistence no longer mystifies me. The design and execution are superb and ought to be more widely enjoyed. And I agree with him that seeing the Ayoob as SD-only is to undersell it. I enjoyed easy food-prep with it just the other night. I think it’s no mistake that Joyce Laituri pulled out a well-used Ayoob during a factory-tour video when asked what she carried.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Amon

Post by Amon »

Thank you all.
I am in the Game since I saw the Video with Joyce. I love the feeling of the Grip, especially the Almite Handles are great. The G10 Scales have the perfect Size, but the cold Feeling and the natural Wearing of the Metal Scales are much nicer. The Sprint with sized up Metal Scales an Spy27 would be perfect for me.

Best Regards
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:47 pm
benben wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 pm
Holy crap! I just scored one at what I’d call reasonable. I assumed I’d be waiting for the sprint, but I’ll have tracking this afternoon and it will def give my orange Endura K390 (blade swap) some shelf time for work until...
Congratulations!! I know exactly how you feel, the day I found mine at a gun show I just about didn't go to, I had a pretty stupid grin on my face all that day! When I saw it in a glass case it was wrapped up in some white protective foam and in a clear zip baggie, I could barely make out it's silhouette. My first thought was "is that what I think it is?" I paid the man and ran to my car! :D
I’ve been similarly elated since last week.

That’s when I got my first Ayoob, the G10 sprint. I’m glad to see this material is what Mas wanted in the original.

Suffice to say, JD’s persistence no longer mystifies me. The design and execution are superb and ought to be more widely enjoyed. And I agree with him that seeing the Ayoob as SD-only is to undersell it. I enjoyed easy food-prep with it just the other night. I think it’s no mistake that Joyce Laituri pulled out a well-used Ayoob during a factory-tour video when asked what she carried.
That's why I won't SHUT UP :D . Because I'm ultimately hoping that this Sprint Run will go over so well that they might consider re-introducing it at some point>> with newer/better blade steel and maybe another handle material as well. I also want to see the C-60 get into the hands of several of the new Spyderco fans who know nothing about this model.

To merely look at this knife in a photo is not going to give you a full understanding as to how super ergonomic of a design that it is. Like you've indicated you absolutely must use the C-60 to fully understand just how useful it is.

Like it's been said in the past that a picture is worth a thousand words but in this case using the C-60 Ayoob is worth a million of them.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's the video that introduced me to this model too. I love that pocket worn look of her knife.
Amon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:33 am
Thank you all.
I am in the Game since I saw the Video with Joyce. I love the feeling of the Grip, especially the Almite Handles are great. The G10 Scales have the perfect Size, but the cold Feeling and the natural Wearing of the Metal Scales are much nicer. The Sprint with sized up Metal Scales an Spy27 would be perfect for me.

Best Regards
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Amon wrote:
Thank you all.

Best Regards
I wouldn't be disappointed if they did what you desire. But I'm a big fan of G-10 handles and have been for the past 10 years.

Although I would not turn my nose up at a possible Titanium handled C-60 Ayoob. Or a really nice CF handle at some point.

But when we get the finished product I'll be happy regardless. But I would be happier with a G-10 handle. The SPY-24 blade steel option also sounds intriguing.
Fartnado

Post by Fartnado »

This is awesome! There are very few models I've wanted, yet missed out on over the years, but this is definitely one of them. I'd take a Sprint Run any way you make it, and would love to see a Flash Batch in PE LC200N, with a compression lock, and carbon fiber scales (not peel-ply).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fartnado wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 am
This is awesome! There are very few models I've wanted, yet missed out on over the years, but this is definitely one of them. I'd take a Sprint Run any way you make it, and would love to see a Flash Batch in PE LC200N, with a compression lock, and carbon fiber scales (not peel-ply).
I can't argue or take exception with anything you just said. And I'm more than sure you aren't the only one out there with those same desires.

I've said for many years that this C-60 Ayoob as well as few other models from the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2004) never got the attention they deserved during their first release because of being overshadowed by so many great models during that time slot. But now we get to rectify that problem and this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is a huge step forward in the right direction.

I hope everyone is ready when they release this awesome Sprint Run because there sure are a lot of people that have intense interest in this upcoming release. I think that 1200 of these ( 600 PE, 600 SE) will sell out in less than a month easily. Even the interest I seen over. I think EVIL D is right about having your cash ready for these when they are released because these C-60 Sprint Run folders are going to sell like Led Zeppelin Tickets :cool: And in SE and PE both :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:59 am
That's the video that introduced me to this model too. I love that pocket worn look of her knife.
Amon wrote:
Thank you all.

Best Regards
I do find it most interesting that Ms. Joyce could literally have any Spyderco model that she would want>> and for years she has picked the C-60 Ayoob as her ideal every day carry blade. I've heard her speak of it a couple of times over the years and I've wondered what specific feature drew her to it. It does make me wonder what she saw in that model over all the other Spyderco models at her fingertips.

It also makes me think that this design was truly ahead of it's time>> and for a lot of different reasons.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The other day I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't wore in forever and when I stuck my Caribbean in the pocket I was kinda shocked because it hit the bottom of the pocket before it was fully clipped, and had to be at an angle in the pocket to fully clip it. I don't remember this being an issue but I bet the last time I wore those jeans I was carrying smaller knives and never ran into this issue. Then I got to thinking about a comment Joyce said in that video about women's pants pockets and how the Ayoob shape fit pockets easier. I really need this knife sooner than later.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Seven7VII

Post by Seven7VII »

I’m on board with this one! Love me some Mas Ayoob!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 am
The other day I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't wore in forever and when I stuck my Caribbean in the pocket I was kinda shocked because it hit the bottom of the pocket before it was fully clipped, and had to be at an angle in the pocket to fully clip it. I don't remember this being an issue but I bet the last time I wore those jeans I was carrying smaller knives and never ran into this issue. Then I got to thinking about a comment Joyce said in that video about women's pants pockets and how the Ayoob shape fit pockets easier. I really need this knife sooner than later.
I gotta a feeling that you would find the C-60 a much better fit. Now I'm in no way saying that you would find the C-60 more favorable to use for your daily cutting chores because I do know how much you like that Caribbean model. But I've never had the C-60 not fit any of my pockets poorly at all. I've even had the C-60 Ayoob even fit well in one of those side pockets like you see in the legs of Carhartt and a couple of other brands of jeans that I like to wear. I've carried the C-60 model in every type of clothing imaginable with no problems. And I've got a feeling that might be one of the reasons that Ms Joyce likes the C-60 so well as her EDC folder.

EDC carry is going to be great on this new Sprint model and I'm fully confident of it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 am
I gotta a feeling that you would find the C-60 a much better fit. Now I'm in no way saying that you would find the C-60 more favorable to use for your daily cutting chores because I do know how much you like that Caribbean model. But I've never had the C-60 not fit any of my pockets poorly at all. I've even had the C-60 Ayoob even fit well in one of those side pockets like you see in the legs of Carhartt and a couple of other brands of jeans that I like to wear. I've carried the C-60 model in every type of clothing imaginable with no problems. And I've got a feeling that might be one of the reasons that Ms Joyce likes the C-60 so well as her EDC folder.

EDC carry is going to be great on this new Sprint model and I'm fully confident of it.

Yeah I'm sure it'll carry just fine, and it's easy enough to just wear different jeans. These days when I shop for pants (which is pretty rare anyway) I'm always checking pocket depth before I buy, but I've had those jeans for years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 am

Yeah I'm sure it'll carry just fine, and it's easy enough to just wear different jeans. These days when I shop for pants (which is pretty rare anyway) I'm always checking pocket depth before I buy, but I've had those jeans for years.
David I just recently bought a new pair of Carhartt "FR" jeans ( I think these are made for welders, boilermakers and other rough tradesmen) >> these FR jeans have two of those slender side pockets on both legs for tradesmen as well as extremely thick/rigid pockets made with heavy material. When I wear those newer Carhartt "FR" jeans I find they sport any of my folders or fixed blades really nicely on those side leg pockets as well as any of the other pockets.

So you might want to check those out on the web when you get a chance. Oh I realize a lot of people don't think those tradesmen's jeans or bib overalls are very fashionable >> but I say the **** with that>> I'll take "FUNCTION" any day of the week. When I work or I'm just lounging around the home I usually wear bib overalls much of the time and I find that most makes/brands of bib overalls can sport just about any type of knife you would want to carry. So there are some work clothing options to be considered for sure that would work better for most EDC and other knife carry options.

Even with all of that said the C-60 and it's clip are so streamlined that most well made jeans or work wear will do quite well carrying that model.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:11 pm
David I just recently bought a new pair of Carhartt "FR" jeans ( I think these are made for welders, boilermakers and other rough tradesmen)
I have a few pair of similar for my welding work. The "FR" (fire resistant) designation comes from the fact that they are almost 100% cotton. Polyester and other common garment synthetics can melt to your skin and cause severe burns if they are ignited, so those are removed from the fabric blend. The fact that the cotton content is boosted just makes them better quality in general, in my opinion. Only thing you need to be careful of is not shrinking them in the wash due to the higher cotton content.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:30 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:11 pm
David I just recently bought a new pair of Carhartt "FR" jeans ( I think these are made for welders, boilermakers and other rough tradesmen)
I have a few pair of similar for my welding work. The "FR" (fire resistant) designation comes from the fact that they are almost 100% cotton. Polyester and other common garment synthetics can melt to your skin and cause severe burns if they are ignited, so those are removed from the fabric blend. The fact that the cotton content is boosted just makes them better quality in general, in my opinion. Only thing you need to be careful of is not shrinking them in the wash due to the higher cotton content.
Yeah thanks for that rundown on the Carhartt product i.e. FR ( Flame Resistant) jeans. What I like about them is their very rugged construction. They're significantly heavier than the regular Carhartt jeans. And I've always loved the extra side pockets along the leg of the jeans that Carhartt and Blakladder both provide for guys who like to work hard. I use virtually all of my pockets on all of my work and casual clothing because I have a lot of tools, knives, flashlights ect,. that I carry daily depending on what I'm doing that day. I like my clothing to be functional as much as I like that aspect about my tools as well. The C-60 is easy to carry even in dress clothes. It's slender and ergonomic design even makes it a nice pocketknife for almost any type of work.

I was just pointing out to David ( EVIL D) that some of the more hefty folders you really need those more heavy duty clothes to accommodate many of your bigger folders and other tools and hardware one might need during a typical day >> or even for a small fixed blade too for that matter. And by the way I hope at some point Massad Ayoob himself will eventually design a fixed blade based on the C-60 design>> or maybe a fixed blade with similar ergonomic features. That would just be really cool IMO.

I also like wearing Carhartt and Blakladder winter vests in the cold weather. Not only do they provide pockets for blades, phones, multi-tools, flashlights and so forth but in many cases a good insulated winter vest is all you need many times to keep warm. I love clothing that can accommodate tools that I like to carry everyday. The C-60 is pretty "clothing friendly" for a wide variety of clothing. But I like to wear stuff that can handle any tool you might need. Thanks for that information "TGB" :)
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm
I like my clothing to be functional as much as I like that aspect about my tools as well. The C-60 is easy to carry even in dress clothes. It's slender and ergonomic design even makes it a nice pocketknife for almost any type of work.
Yeah, but if you carry the C-60 in a suit, how do you resist the urge to tell people you're "Bond, James Bond."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:12 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm
I like my clothing to be functional as much as I like that aspect about my tools as well. The C-60 is easy to carry even in dress clothes. It's slender and ergonomic design even makes it a nice pocketknife for almost any type of work.
Yeah, but if you carry the C-60 in a suit, how do you resist the urge to tell people you're "Bond, James Bond."
You may just have to come clean :D But to blow your cover might present a problem :eek:

But that's the great selling point about this classic Masterpiece Spyder>> it crosses over boundaries of all sorts of vocations and activities as well as social status and puts EDC tools into perspective. This is the type of folder you would see a business executive or public official be proud to carry.

But the C-60 also fits most any occasion and could even be the life of the party on certain occasions as well. This ain't your grandpa's Case folder my friend :D No the C-60 is for a whole new breed all together. Welcome to the future of Spyderco :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One other feature I want to expound on concerning the C-60 Ayoob model. It's relatively slender build make it much easier to hide/conceal than most other Spyderco models. Even though I currently EDC an M390 Military model I would go back to the C-60 Ayoob in a heartbeat with a newer/better blade steel>> which it appears our wish may be coming true on that one. It makes me want to stand up and shout loudly when I think about it :)

Today I was going over some of the posts on the early pages of this thread and there are two issues I want to go over again. One being that there is a lot of desire among the fans that would like to see a "SALT" version of the C-60 Ayoob. That campaign has been going on for quite a while now and I don't ever want it to go away either.

First things First however>> I want to get this latest Sprint Run off the ground first and foremost before we beat the drums for something else. I can't wait for a couple of Prototype models of the C-60 Sprint to be tested and reviewed>> I'm hoping this happens by mid or late Spring time here in 2021. And please people any of you who are privy to anything coming out early don't be bashful. That's one of the purposes of this thread.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm
One being that there is a lot of desire among the fans that would like to see a "SALT" version of the C-60 Ayoob.
Given the comments about how easy this knife is to carry in an inconspicuous manner, would you want to see the brightly colored scales on this knife? That would seem to go against the tactical nature of the knife, though I do understand that many will use it in an EDC role.