Larger knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Larger knives?

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:12 pm
But here in Missouri we have really decent blade laws. We have a 4 inch limit on folders and I've never ever been called down for carrying fixed blades during hunting seasons. But my C-36 Military has come in extremely handy at times. But I'm glad to see that you and a few others actually "get it" ;)
In Michigan the laws only restrict concealed fixed blades and double edge knives. There's no limit on length except in Detroit and Lansing. I think next year Im on the hunt for a Temperance 1 or 2. Its the name of the town I live in so I think its cool plus they're badass. Jumpmaster looks good too.
Yeah I've heard that Michigan and Wisconsin both have decent blade laws and I'm sure it's because both states are well known for their great deer hunting and fishing as we here in Missouri have gained a similar reputations in the past 20 to 30 years. I've got two Police officer friends here in the town I live in that I show some of my Spyders to occasionally. They both told me that the only time they get uptight about knives is when they arrest someone for drunken driving or other crimes and the perp happens to have knives on them that are technically illegal ( like switchblades & butterfly knives).

Missouri is also a decent Gun Law state. We aren't as good as Texas or Montana but we still aren't bad with those types of laws either.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I’m put off by any EDC blade that I can’t carry in my 5th pocket.

I don’t necessarily like the size of my Atlantic salt, but I can’t argue with it’s effectiveness for what I use it for (not EDC).
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My fifth pocket is my favorite knife sheath! I have been on the downsizing trend for awhile now, but deep down I'd love to EDC a Military. Words from an old knife sage I knew: A large knife will do anything a small knife can, but the reverse isn't necessarily true. Just when I think I have my EDC figured out 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Yester5

Post by Yester5 »

Try a Siren. LC200N steel (wonderful), very lightweight with awesome ergonomics, and one of the smoothest lock-backs I’ve ever owned.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:57 pm
My fifth pocket is my favorite knife sheath! I have been on the downsizing trend for awhile now, but deep down I'd love to EDC a Military. Words from an old knife sage I knew: A large knife will do anything a small knife can, but the reverse isn't necessarily true. Just when I think I have my EDC figured out 😂

That´s just very true in my experience. It is just no problem at all to practically "shorten" a large knife should need be by using a pinch grip on the blade or whatever, while one just can´t make a short blade longer.

Maybe though the saying could be altered like that a large knife will do with ease anything a small knife can, while a small knife will do many large knife tasks just very awkwardly and messy (think of cutting up a melon with a DFly or something like that) - and some the small knife won´t do at all (if a certain amount of reach is necessary for example).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree Wartstein
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:16 am
bearrowland wrote:

That´s just very true in my experience. It is just no problem at all to practically "shorten" a large knife should need be by using a pinch grip on the blade or whatever, while one just can´t make a short blade longer.

Maybe though the saying could be altered like that a large knife will do with ease anything a small knife can, while a small knife will do many large knife tasks just very awkwardly and messy (think of cutting up a melon with a DFly or something like that) - and some the small knife won´t do at all (if a certain amount of reach is necessary for example).
If I’m cutting up a melon I’m using my very nice kitchen knives, not my EDC.

In my experience, folks tend to justify a larger blade by pushing their EDC into use-cases typically occupied by more specialized knives (food prep, dinner knife, axe ;) Etc.). There isn’t anything wrong with that of course, but I think it’s the result of knifeaholism rather than a practical take on EDC.

I’ll caveat that by saying that I’ve been exclusively carrying (very) small knives as EDC for many, many years. I’m still waiting for the task my small knives won’t handle (but admittedly I’m not cutting up a melon in my car or using it to fend off black Bart and his gang with Ralphie).

The good news is that there are a ton of options out there and we are blessed with a gluttony of choice, regardless of how we choose to use them.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Blnd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

In my experience, folks tend to justify a larger blade by pushing their EDC into use-cases typically occupied by more specialized knives (food prep, dinner knife, axe ;) Etc.). There isn’t anything wrong with that of course, but I think it’s the result of knifeaholism rather than a practical take on EDC.

I’ll caveat that by saying that I’ve been exclusively carrying (very) small knives as EDC for many, many years. I’m still waiting for the task my small knives won’t handle (but admittedly I’m not cutting up a melon in my car or using it to fend off black Bart and his gang with Ralphie).

The good news is that there are a ton of options out there and we are blessed with a gluttony of choice, regardless of how we choose to use them.
That's right.

I'd like to meet up with all the people who chant the highlighted text above, to demonstrate our difference of opinion. I'm sure it would be eye opening for both sides.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I do know of an area where large blades are very troublesome, if not completely unwieldy.

Skinning game. I would never(given the choice) choose anything larger than 3". Preferably 2-2.5".

This can be seen in the Stretch. It has an edge of like 2.9" and was designed with hunting/skinning in mind.

Now that I think about it, a Swick with the edge/tip profile of the Stretch would probably make for an awesome game knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:40 am
I do know of an area where large blades are very troublesome, if not completely unwieldy.

Skinning game. I would never(given the choice) choose anything larger than 3". Preferably 2-2.5".

This can be seen in the Stretch. It has an edge of like 2.9" and was designed with hunting/skinning in mind.

Now that I think about it, a Swick with the edge/tip profile of the Stretch would probably make for an awesome game knife.
I agree. I would also add to that, anytime you need very precise control of tip smaller blades are more efficient. First examples that come to mind are scalpels and hobby knives.

To add a recent real life example: I sculpted a pumpkin this past Halloween and instead of a hobby knife, I chose to use a McBee, mostly because I just wanted use a Spyderco to do it :cool: but also because of the precision I could get with the tip of the knife. While what I did would have been possible with an Endura, it would have been more difficult.
- Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Blnd wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Small knives can generally get the job done, but big knives do it more efficiently for me. Here's a few scenarios:

- Breaking down a lot of cardboard. Bigger knives have more edge to dull, so they'll cut more before needing sharpened. The longer edge also means you can stack pieces and slice them at once, speeding up the job.

- Hiking down a trail and there's some briars growing across, you decide to trim them back. With a dragonfly you'd have to carefully grab each one with an off hand and cut them, with a police or Manix XL just slash through em.

- Cutting up an apple. My Police will quarter one in two cuts. Dragonfly takes four. Eat an apple or two a day and it starts to add up.

- Misc utility. Its moving day and you decide you're going to slice up your 8" thick memory foam mattress top. Which blade length do you choose? I chose my 9" Scrapyard Dogfather....wouldn't want to do that job with a delica.

- Going for a long bike ride, I'm about 25 miles from home and pass a fruit stand with cantaloupes for 1$. Two knives on me, my Perrin Street Bowie and a Leatherman Micra. I picked the bigger one.

I've EDC'd Swiss Army Knives and gotten by just fine, so I'm not saying small knives are incapable. Same story when I EDC'd a UKPK. I merely find larger knives more efficient, require less sharpenings and tend to fit my grip better. But if I moved somewhere that allowed knives Delica sized and smaller, I'd get by.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Well, cutting up a melon was an extreme example, I give you that ;)

But with all due respect: I think if you never come across tasks that large blades would handle better than short ones, could it be rather the case that you limit the uses for your EDC knives than that others "push their EDCs into use cases typically occupied by more specialized knives"...?

I mean, if you always had the best suited knife/tool at hand, an EDC folder would be generally pretty obsolete, right? You´d use instead scissors, box cutters, various fixed blades, needles, tweezers, and so on...

Sure, a sharp kitchen knife is better for cutting up melons and food in general:
But: What if you´re in the kitchen of friends and they happen to not have any sharp knife (quite often the case)?
If you DO spontaniously buy a melon while on the beach?
If you´re hiking or on the road an decide to cut up a loaf of bread and prepare some sandwiches?
And so on...

Or whittle some wood, even cut up large sheats of cardboard: A longer blade will allow for a better, more drawing motion, before you run out of blade - and will be sharper after a lot of cutting than a short blade, or at least more likely have some really sharp sections left

Generally, when cutting through stuff with larger diameter (foam, polystrene...) a long blade is better suited

I think there must be a practical reason why Spydies like Millie, Endura, Caribbean, and so on exist and sell well... ?!

Now, again: I am not saying that a short blade can´t do most tasks too: But imho often less efficient, more awkward and more messy...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Really doesn't matter to me as long as its sharp
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sumdumguy wrote:

I've skinned big game with anything from a Boye #1 to a George Tichbourne Chefs. As long as the leg lines are drawn, I much prefer a larger knife with a good sweep except when it comes to caping the head. When it comes to field dressing and I'm working blind up to my arm pits in the abdominal cavity I absolutely want a small blade. My left hand insists. :)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I know this: if a Military or a Tatanka crosses my path at the right price, I'll be packing a large knife!! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In regards to my previous post on this thread. When I was singing the praises of the C-36 Military model as my ideal EDC ( especially my M390 unit). I could also share something else in that regard. I could actually get by with a blade no bigger than the blade on the C-36 Military model. Now it's kind of a strange dichotomy in a way because out of one side of my mouth I'm saying that I like a larger EDC being the C-36 Military being ideal. But at the same time I'm saying that I could get by with most all of my cutting jobs with a blade no larger than that on the C-36 Military model.

Now there are a few exceptions. Because when field dressing a bigger animal like a white-tailed deer for instance. There are times when a bigger fixed blade comes in handy on a big job like that. But for most of my daily cutting jobs any of my C-36 Military models will be quite adequate.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

most people aren't skinning deer every day
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I've skinned big game with anything from a Boye #1 to a George Tichbourne Chefs. As long as the leg lines are drawn, I much prefer a larger knife with a good sweep except when it comes to caping the head. When it comes to field dressing and I'm working blind up to my arm pits in the abdominal cavity I absolutely want a small blade. My left hand insists. :)
I know it's possible. It's just far easier using sub 3" blades(with a sweeping belly/tip). Especially in the field. Given the choice of one or the other, I'd choose the smaller one. As you said, working blind, deep in a cavity, there's really one choice.

That being said, when I'm breaking down meats in a restaurant kitchen, I reach for a 10 or 12 inch breaking knife(scimitar looking thing).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:13 am
most people aren't skinning deer every day
So true. Thank god for Elk, Caribou, Black Bear and lotsa wild pig. :D
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:05 am
The only thing available was a old beat up manix 2 so I pulled the trigger. This is the first knife I stepped out of my comfort zone for. I was blown away by the ergonomics. It seems no matter how I hold it never feels too big.

I don't want to be an enabler... but...

When the Manix 2 XL came out I wasn't interested because the Manix 2 was so darned good. Why mess with perfection? Then the XL was offered in M4 and I became curious. I bought two, with he intention of selling my least favorite. When the knives were delivered, I was disappointed that they were so big. But being an open-minded sort of bloke, I carried one for a week. In the space of five days I fell in love with the XL. The handle fits me BETTER than the regular Manix 2, and a larger blade is always welcome. The XL was so good that I decided to keep both.

If you thought the Manix 2 would be too large and were pleasantly surprised, be careful about trying out an XL. You might just set your old Manix aside, in favor of the BEST sized knife.
I grabbed a Manix XL in M4 as well and I can't believe how much I love that knife. The manix 2 is a fantastic knife and I have several in different steels and handles, but the times when I would be using the finger choil on the manix 2 translate to a full handle grip on the XL and I don't use the choil at all. it feels good to be back that far on the knife. I would go for a choilless XL in a premium tool steel in a heartbeat.