Delica tip shape Bother anyone else?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Polecat

Delica tip shape Bother anyone else?

Post by Polecat »

Just really don’t dig the tip profile of the delica, the older ones had more of an aggressive point / tip, salmcan we go back? Would love to see more of a swage like the old police models. We also need more “Jandura” runs!,

Not complaing, but just like the old school stuff Sal.

Dave
Wartstein

Re: Delica tip shape Bother anyone else?

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Dave,

totally personal preference, but I actually much prefer the current Delica 4 tip (and that´s true also for the Endura 4)
It has always been pointy enough in my use, but really gives me more confidence in the tip strength due to the slight "spine drop" towards the tip that reenforces it a bit.

Also: The Delica 4 tip can easily be modded to "more pointy", while the other way round (so adding that "drop" to a very pointy tip) would not be possible without sacrificing blade length
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I'm with Wartstein, much prefer the tip profile on the Delica/Endura 4 than the older Gen pointy tips. It's all personal preference.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree with Wartstein that the Delica 4 tip is much more practical and stronger, and I'm glad it is the way it is or I'd probably have a drawer full of delicas with busted blades. But I do love the pointy tips on the older models from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Same with the Ladybugs.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Frankly, I think those drop points look like amateur broken tip repairs. I tolerated it for almost 3 days on my P4 lightweight before I took a grinder to it. I think that is my personal record for a carry knife. The only ones I haven't reground are Damascus.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Thanks guys as I am really so not the knif expert by any stretch. Appreciate the insight!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Nope, it don’t bother me at all
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

It looks uglier, but I greatly appreciate it in a practical sense.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, I mod mine and make the tip pointier.

Basically, it comes set up for the masses and that probably prevents a lot of broken tips. For those who want one it is a fairly easy mod.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Polecat wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:08 pm
Thanks guys as I am really so not the knif expert by any stretch. Appreciate the insight!

I think you are as much of a "knife expert" as most here :)

As said already: Wanting the pointier "old" tip or rather the "dropped" new one is just about personal preference and not about being an expert or not.
I do prefer the new tip, but there are certainly a lot of arguments for the "old", pointy tip too.
Also depends a lot on what one normally uses the knife for. If you never do stuff that could break a delicate tip, but often use it as a splinter picker or whatever, it would be rather "experty" to want the pointier one... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I don’t pry with or put much lateral stress on my Delica or Endura tips, so I always regrind the hump down to a pointier profile.

It suits my uses better. Yeah and I prefer it aesthetically as well.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like em stabby.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I feel the same way. The pointy tips perform better and look better.

Thankfully it takes all of five minutes with a belt sander to fix.
:unicorn
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’m so glad I tried the pointier tip on my PS2. I don’t mind the tip on the endura but the extreme rounded tip on the salts is too much for me. I haven’t carried a Delica in a while but the next time I do I will likely get the belt sander back out. If I wanted a rounded tip I’d look for a sheepsfoot blade.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, I prefer the D4/E4 tips to the originals. Not only do they have a bit of reinforcement, but I find that they provide a subtle bit of extra leverage for certain goes of cuts. It’s difficult to describe, though. And they are still plenty sharp and pokey.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Modding the blade voids the warranty and would look terrible on a coated blade in any event. Spyderco offers other blade profiles (serrated, wharncliffe, etc), so maybe can convince them to make “fine tipped” profile as well?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doesn’t bother me either.

Frankly, I think it’s a Spyderco marketing ploy, and it’s been working on me since ‘93. ;)
Attachments
C4A26143-74F3-4B50-B2B9-1FCC73B95121.jpeg
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

I think it looks good on saber ground models, but kind of odd on a flat ground blade. A guy could flatten out the spine he wanted. I once made a straight spine Caly3.5 with just an angle grinder, some sand paper, and a bit of patience.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Its functional. I can bury it to the handle in a roll of paper towels effortlessly. I'm not personally experiencing a performance loss with the stock tip. (Thinness of the blade probably helps alot there)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thojan

Post by thojan »

It is not the most visually pleasing tip in the world, but it helps cutting into things (like fruits,..) and directs the cutting power more downwards. I liked cutting with the Pacific Salt more than with the PM2. That tip always got caught on something, because it was so forward stabby.
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N