What was your 1st Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: What was your 1st Spyderco?

Post by JMM »

Resilience
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Manix 2 154CM, hollow grind, all-black (C101GPBBK2).

It was followed by Paramilitary 2. Paramily pushed Manix out of my pocket and send it to the drawer. I gifted it to a friend an year later.
Red

Post by Red »

JMM wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:30 pm
Resilience
Oh yea, love the Resilience! You haven’t lived until someone asks to borrow your “pocket knife” and you flip open the Resilience and hand it over!
AA6EADEE-21FC-4AC4-AE47-DBB3EBB874C4.jpeg
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Compression lock Lil Native for me.. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Lil Native had pretty much just been released when I bought it. I'd been into knives for years and years prior to buying my first Spyderco, but had always been "too poor" to buy "good" ones.. got a nice raise at my job and decided that I wanted to celebrate by buying a nice knife. I'd always heard good things about Spyderco and I spent a lot of time researching before settling on the Lil Native. Once I got that first Spyderco, there were many that followed in rapid succession, thus my signature tagline..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Red

Post by Red »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Compression lock Lil Native for me.. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Lil Native had pretty much just been released when I bought it. I'd been into knives for years and years prior to buying my first Spyderco, but had always been "too poor" to buy "good" ones.. got a nice raise at my job and decided that I wanted to celebrate by buying a nice knife. I'd always heard good things about Spyderco and I spent a lot of time researching before settling on the Lil Native. Once I got that first Spyderco, there were many that followed in rapid succession, thus my signature tagline..
Oh yea, Very nice!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I believe it was a black FRN Manbug.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BD583

Post by BD583 »

Endura - Blue ($51.99) and Poliwog G-10 ($89.99) on January 30, 2011.
Red

Post by Red »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 pm
I believe it was a black FRN Manbug.
Keep a Manbug in the tacklebox, excellent for that. I love it.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Persistence.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

PM2 with S30V. Still have it and it is a great knife. A real work-horse.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

G-2 Snap It, early-ish 90's.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I bought a Dragonfly Salt a few years back after I saw a shark swimming in about 2 feet of water right where me and my sons were about 5 minutes earlier. It was the only Salt knife I could get free next day Amazon Prime shipping to the beach house we were renting. Never had to use it on a shark, but it did a dang good job of deveining fresh east coast skrimps! :D
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

smallest of the bug series, used it as a keychain knife. My first proper one was a blacked out delica I got at random from one of Massdrop's lottery things. Has to be almost 4 years ago now.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:16 pm
I bought a Dragonfly Salt a few years back after I saw a shark swimming in about 2 feet of water right where me and my sons were about 5 minutes earlier. It was the only Salt knife I could get free next day Amazon Prime shipping to the beach house we were renting. Never had to use it on a shark, but it did a dang good job of deveining fresh east coast skrimps! :D

True story?!

I am sure the DFly Salt is a great knife, but if I had to fight off a shark with a knife, I´d probably choose a different model... ;) (though to be honest: I don´t know a lot about sharks and probably would not be able to fight one with a knife anyway, regardless which model or size... :o )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

In 1994, I bought a Generation 1 Delica (fully serrated with G-2 steel). I loved it so much that I immediately bought a Pro-Venator to keep it company. I gave the Delica to a friend a few years later, but the Pro-Venator is still a part of my collection, which has grown considerably since then.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:44 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

True story?!

I am sure the DFly Salt is a great knife, but if I had to fight off a shark with a knife, I´d probably choose a different model... ;) (though to be honest: I don´t know a lot about sharks and probably would not be able to fight one with a knife anyway, regardless which model or size... :o )

Ha! Yes, it is a true story. I just wanted a rust free knife I could have the next day! I figured I could stab it in the eye if needed. Luckily I didn't have to find out how effective a Dragonfly would be against a shark!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Red

Post by Red »

steelcity16 wrote:
😂👍
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:47 pm
Native II AUS-10 ComboEdge Stainless Steel Handle (Seki-City, Japan) which I purchased in August 2000! Still works great!

My second Spyderco was Military CPM-S30V ComboEdge Black G-10 which I purchased in September 2005. Still works great!
You don't hear of or hardly ever see that NATIVE II with the AUS-10 blade steel. I had one of those and traded it and now I kind of regret it. The AUS-10 wasn't bad steel at all. I'm kind of surprised they didn't make more folders with that steel.

My second model I bought was an ATS-55 POLICE model in CE. It's been very interesting watching this company evolve over the past 20 years.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Grey FRN Delica in VG10.

It’s had a change of clothes since then:

Red

Post by Red »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:43 am
Grey FRN Delica in VG10.

It’s had a change of clothes since then:

Thats a great photo!