Cutlery Shoppe s90v manix lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Cutlery Shoppe s90v manix lw

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:00 pm
Starting a new thread for this...available now.

Do you have yours now? Courious how you´ll like the LW this time... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm
JuPaul wrote:

I do. I've been wanting to carry it a few days at least before judging, but my first impression is about the same. I don't hate it, don't love it. It's great in the pocket - so light. But it just doesn't have that solid feel the g10 model does. Also my sample was pretty stiff at first. It's getting better with use and a little pivot tweak, but still not nearly as smooth operating as my g10 models (especially closing). I also ordered a lynch wire clip replacement, which I think may help me get a better grip when closing it, but it hasn’t arrived yet. I will say this knife came SUPER sharp from the factory. I actually knicked my finger with it and didn't even realize it until like 10 minutes later when I noticed blood on my hand! Overall, I'm glad to have it, though. It'll be perfect for a larger summer carry in lightweight shorts, and I think the new clip will make a big difference.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

Got mine, yeah it needs a lot of breaking in. I remember my M390 original manix took about a month to work in and is now one of my favorite smooth knives. I love the wire clip and pocket feel on the lightweight but my fingers are raw from working the lock.

I also noticed that the back of the blade where it contacts the ball bearing is coated and has a massive amount of lock stick (ball stick?) I don't remember my original manix having this. Love the looks and egos on this one, just hope it smooths out a little more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm
JuPaul wrote:

I do. I've been wanting to carry it a few days at least before judging, but my first impression is about the same. I don't hate it, don't love it. It's great in the pocket - so light. But it just doesn't have that solid feel the g10 model does. Also my sample was pretty stiff at first. It's getting better with use and a little pivot tweak, but still not nearly as smooth operating as my g10 models (especially closing). I also ordered a lynch wire clip replacement, which I think may help me get a better grip when closing it, but it hasn’t arrived yet. I will say this knife came SUPER sharp from the factory. I actually knicked my finger with it and didn't even realize it until like 10 minutes later when I noticed blood on my hand! Overall, I'm glad to have it, though. It'll be perfect for a larger summer carry in lightweight shorts, and I think the new clip will make a big difference.
Thanks for your first impressions, Julia! :)

Don´t want to be unfair to the knife, but reading through this thread one could get the impression that this particular version has a bit more quality issues than usual ?! (Uneven grind, part missing, lock rattling, stiff in operation) - maybe they were at a hurry cause the dealer had set a specific date when they wanted to have the batch of knives?
I could very well be wrong though, after all it´s still just some anecdotal mentions of "problems" here!

/ Funny, I found my Manix LW smoother in operation out of the box than any G10 Manix I could handle (I think three) and I can remember one or two vids were the reviewers mentioned the same. So I am sure yours will break in nicely eventually!

/ I know what you mean! The G10 models feel amazingly solid and just like the highest quality possible! Must be a joy to use them (as said, I just handled, but never actually carried and used a G10 Manix)
On the other hand: That´s exactly what In like in the LW: You pick it up, and in the first moment just have to think automatically: "This is so light, it just must be somewhat flimsy and of lower quality" - but in USE it is NOT at all, and that is what makes the LW so unique for me.

/ As for closing one handed and using the clip as a rest for the for the fingers when doing so ("fingers out of the blade path method"):
Have you ever tried another method where you don´t use the clip at all? Maybe you´d like to try this one (a bit slower, but safer concerning possibly dropping the knife):
- Grad the handle with middle, ring finger and pinky
- Place the middle finger rather close to the front guard (so you don´t cut yourself in the following process)
- Pull the lock with thumb and index finger
- let the choil drop on your index finger just like many people do with a backlockknife
- With the blade now in half closed position finishe the closing process (for example by moving the fingers out of the way and fully closing the blade with your index finger in the opening hole; or by rotating the knife in your palm so that the spine of the handle faces downwards, then closing the blade fully with the thumb on the spine of the blade)
With a bit practice this works really fast, and as said, there is less risk of dropping the knife in the process
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 am

Thanks for your first impressions, Julia! :)

Don´t want to be unfair to the knife, but reading through this thread one could get the impression that this particular version has a bit more quality issues than usual ?!
Kinda seems that way...
Wartstein wrote:
Funny, I found my Manix LW smoother in operation out of the box than any G10 Manix I could handle (I think three) and I can remember one or two vids were the reviewers mentioned the same. So I am sure yours will break in nicely eventually!
I had the xhp lightweight before, and I remember it being very smooth and the lock not too stiff. But both my g10 cruwear manix and my g10 rex45 manix still top the charts as far as perfect action out of the box, and no stiffness in the lock. Now that I think of it, all 3 of the dlc models I have (4v, 52100, and this s90v) have been a bit stiffer at first, with the s90v lightweight being the worst. I wonder if the coated blade needs more breaking in where it interfaces with lock??
Wartstein wrote:
That's exactly what In like in the LW: You pick it up, and in the first moment just have to think automatically: "This is so light, it just must be somewhat flimsy and of lower quality" - but in USE it is NOT at all, and that is what makes the LW so unique for me.
Yes, I love that about frn on the seki models - light but so strong. But the frcp on the manix feels different to me. To me, it feels more like plastic, where the frn feels more like hard rubber. Does that make sense?
Wartstein wrote:
Have you ever tried another method where you don´t use the clip at all?
I'm going to try this out today - thanks for the suggestion!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m going on a full week working with this knife and the stiff closing it came with already seems to have eased. I’ve also been enjoying how sharp it is out of the box and how little the coating seems to affect cutting. In fact this morning it cut through 2” rubber hose as good or better than any previous model/steel. I think the hose parted in fear, but maybe I’m just projecting ;) I still think I prefer the heft and the ability to customize the G10 models but if the color/steel are appealing I wouldn’t hesitate to add more LW models to my stable. I also swapped the clip for a Lynch clip last night just to try it out and it feels better than the wire clip when closing the blade, but I wish it sat as deep in the pocket as the standard clip/G10 model does.