Chipped edge. Defective steel/blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AmbulanceMonkee

Chipped edge. Defective steel/blade?

Post by AmbulanceMonkee »

A couple weeks ago, I bought a PM2 from BladeHQ. Because of that, I'm pretty certain the knife is authentic. I drive a FedEx truck for work, and over the past couple weeks, I've used the knife maybe two or three times. The extent of the cutting done with this knife has been plastic strapping around boxes that was hanging off waiting to catch on something. I install an aluminum backspacer I purchased online because I have never owned cars, knives or guns that are stock. The blade has more than ample clearance on the backspacer, and there's no way the blade could've contacted it.

This evening, I noticed that at the very end of the blade, there is maybe a millimeter and a half of the cutting edge chipped off. I've had the knife for a couple weeks. I haven't used it as a pry bar or a screwdriver so there's no reason this should have happened. At this point, I'm split between trying to get Spyderco to warranty (which I won't hold my breath on) or sending it to someone that will put a new, better than factory edge on it. What are your thoughts? I'm figuring as soon as Spyderco's warranty department gets a look at it, they're going to decide that I've somehow "abused" the knife in the couple weeks I've had it. However, I don't want to send it someone to have them reprofile the blade and put a new edge on it if its going to turn out that the blade has a bad heat treat or whatever and will keep chipping.

I foolishly assumed that after spending $136 bucks on a knife, I could expect a problem free ownership experience for at least a couple years. I'd include a photo of the blade, but I don't think my phone has a macro function.
TazKristi

Re: Chipped edge. Defective steel/blade?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, AmbulanceMonkee:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear that it's under these circumstances. It would help to know more information but ultimately my recommendation will be the same. Which Para Military 2 did you purchase? What is the blade steel? In my experience, some of those plastic strappings include more than plastic.

My recommendation is that you send your knife into our W&R department for evaluation. Our crew does their measured best every day to be fair. Is there a reason that you wouldn't want to give our crew a chance? You'll be in great hands if you do.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
AmbulanceMonkee

Upon further review, I'm pretty sure it chipped yesterday when I cut a zip tie on the packaging for a new pair of gloves yesterday. I'm quite certain there was no metal in the strapping I cut or in the zip tie.

The knife is a PM2 in S30V. I've since done some additional reading here and on other sites, and have found this is a somewhat common complaint. Some posters seem to attribute it to the edge applied during production and claim the issue disappears with sharpening. I'm considering sending it back to you guys, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of being without the knife I just spent decent money on. Nor do I wish to spend additional money shipping it to you.

What are the possible outcomes if the chipping is determined to be covered under the warranty? You regrind the edge, or I get a new knife and hopefully have better luck with that one?
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I would bet the blade is fine. Often times you'll see a performance increase over the factory edge after a couple sharpenings, especially with something like s30v. I'd send it to someone to have it reprofiled, after that the only thing it should need is to be touched up on a Sharpmaker every once in a while.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

OP,
If you do a search of this forum you'll find the topic of zip ties and edge chipping isn't a new one. Zip ties can be a lot harder on edges than you might expect, particularly if put the knife under the zip tie and twist. Adding that lateral force on the edge is an easy way to chip an edge.
AmbulanceMonkee

brainfriction wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:12 pm
I would bet the blade is fine. Often times you'll see a performance increase over the factory edge after a couple sharpenings, especially with something like s30v. I'd send it to someone to have it reprofiled, after that the only thing it should need is to be touched up on a Sharpmaker every once in a while.
That's what I was figuring. I'm not confident enough in my sharpening ability at this point to try that myself.
AmbulanceMonkee

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:37 pm
OP,
If you do a search of this forum you'll find the topic of zip ties and edge chipping isn't a new one. Zip ties can be a lot harder on edges than you might expect, particularly if put the knife under the zip tie and twist. Adding that lateral force on the edge is an easy way to chip an edge.
I've been seeing that since I posted this thread. Funny thing is, I burn through a pair of those gloves every couple months, so I've taken them out of the packaging with my last knife more than once. This is the first time I've had this happen. I thought I'd become a Spyderco fan, but this is starting to sound like "the new iPhone is great, you're just holding it wrong".
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Sharpen it out and don't go under 35 degrees inclusive with s30v for moderate/hard use lateral edge stress.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Lateral force from plastic is a common cause of chips for people who know not to pry metal objects.

Sharpen it and move on — why would this be a warranty issue?
vivi

Post by vivi »

S30V should handle plastic straps just fine in my experience. See this thread: https://spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=81960

Based on your description, I'd just sharpen it out and see how it performs from there. A 1mm chip hardly makes a blade unusable.

The amount you spend on a knife has no bearing on the ability of a given material to be pushed past its limit. Your $140 PM2 should have tighter tolerances and a better heat treat than a $60 S30V knife, but S30V is still S30V at the end of the day. If it was a metal reinforced plastic strap, that can chip S30V whether its an old $40 Native or $500 Chris Reeve.
:unicorn
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

AmbulanceMonkee wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 pm
A couple weeks ago, I bought a PM2 from BladeHQ. Because of that, I'm pretty certain the knife is authentic. I drive a FedEx truck for work, and over the past couple weeks, I've used the knife maybe two or three times. The extent of the cutting done with this knife has been plastic strapping around boxes that was hanging off waiting to catch on something. I install an aluminum backspacer I purchased online because I have never owned cars, knives or guns that are stock. The blade has more than ample clearance on the backspacer, and there's no way the blade could've contacted it.

This evening, I noticed that at the very end of the blade, there is maybe a millimeter and a half of the cutting edge chipped off. I've had the knife for a couple weeks. I haven't used it as a pry bar or a screwdriver so there's no reason this should have happened. At this point, I'm split between trying to get Spyderco to warranty (which I won't hold my breath on) or sending it to someone that will put a new, better than factory edge on it. What are your thoughts? I'm figuring as soon as Spyderco's warranty department gets a look at it, they're going to decide that I've somehow "abused" the knife in the couple weeks I've had it. However, I don't want to send it someone to have them reprofile the blade and put a new edge on it if its going to turn out that the blade has a bad heat treat or whatever and will keep chipping.

I foolishly assumed that after spending $136 bucks on a knife, I could expect a problem free ownership experience for at least a couple years. I'd include a photo of the blade, but I don't think my phone has a macro function.
Sorry to hear about the troubles. If things don’t work out with Spyderco warranty and you don’t have sharpening equipment, reach me. I will sharpen the PM2 to your preferences for free. Anything we can do to help another forum member is why we are here.
AmbulanceMonkee

Mstach07 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 pm
AmbulanceMonkee wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Sorry to hear about the troubles. If things don’t work out with Spyderco warranty and you don’t have sharpening equipment, reach me. I will sharpen the PM2 to your preferences for free. Anything we can do to help another forum member is why we are here.
I appreciate the offer. I'll see how things go. And while it's not a complete lack of sharpening equipment or skill that is the issue, I don't feel like I'm capable enough to attack a mid-range knife and attempt to change the angle of the bevel without screwing the whole thing up.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Doesn’t sound like much of a warranty problem to me. Sharpen it out and move on.
Josh
ferider

Post by ferider »

I've had factory edges on two PM2 and one PM3 chip, without knowing how. Two Maxamet knives and one M390. Resharpened them and it never happened again on any of the three. I have several other knives in the same steels but it only happened to my PM so far. Who knows ?

Anyways, I also suggest to resharpen and try again.

Roland.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've had factory edges from many brands chip, all different steels too. Spyderco, Benchmade, Lionsteel, I even managed to chip 1095 in a GEC sodbuster. Sharpen it. You probably don't even have to re-bevel it.

Or just keep using it. A small chip only impacts paper cutting performance.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!