Wooden Dragonfly kit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Wooden Dragonfly kit

Post by Woodpuppy »

My 3 year old son has been obsessed with my pocket knife lately. He always wants to hold it. But with an axis lock, the blade will easily open and that would be bad. So since I have a new spyderco inbound (due Monday), I ordered him the dragonfly kit knife. We put it together tonight, and it works quite well, but I’m thinking of making some wax paper bushings for it, putting a semblance of an edge on it, maybe a light chamfer on the scales, and a drop of glue on each pin end. The pivot will drop out if you just press the lock so the blade swings freely. The rest of the pins stay put, but I’m sure he could manage to lose them. I could always go pick up some tiny hardware and bolt it together I suppose!

Anyway, it’s a fun little quick project to do and now he can hold his own knife and Dad gets to keep his :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Re: Wooden Dragonfly kit

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well that was short-lived. Handed it to my wife and she promptly opened it then tried to close it without depressing the lock.

:eek: :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Be careful with the lock, it's VERY easy to round off the corner of the lock bar and turn it into a slip joint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Ugh!! Bet your 3 year old son would have known better! The idea certainly had good intentions. I'd give it another whirl...just keep her hands off of it haha!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The tab on the back of the blade is busted off, and the blade sags until it makes contact with the lock bar. I might be able to glue something up. My son sat in my lap and we worked the knife together. He was fine. Mom just yonked on it like you’d expect a kid to... smh... there go any thoughts of ordering her a real dragonfly!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My grandson, aged seven, has a Wooden Dragonfly kit waiting for him when he visits at the end of July.

His mother said he wants to learn how to whittle. Understanding a knife’s construction seems a good place to start, then we can graduate to my DF2 under close supervision.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Fixed it, judicious use of some gorilla superglue and a clothespin. A little sanding and wax paper washers, all better now. For now!

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That’s cute that he wants to hold his daddy’s knife and really sweet that y’all made the dfly together. Sorry, I don’t know why, but that made a grown man all melty inside 😂
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps the plastic glow in the dark Delica kit would be better?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Those wooden dragonflies are great. Not super durable but definitely a fun project for the price. Good way to teach kids about knives and knife safety too. My kid loves his.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 pm
Perhaps the plastic glow in the dark Delica kit would be better?
I figured if it’s to scale, it was way too big. But might be more durable.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 pm
That’s cute that he wants to hold his daddy’s knife and really sweet that y’all made the dfly together. Sorry, I don’t know why, but that made a grown man all melty inside 😂
He wants to help do everything, including cooking. Just allow extra time.... it turns the most mundane and quick things into a bit of a process. But that’s how they learn!
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 pm
Well that was short-lived. Handed it to my wife and she promptly opened it then tried to close it without depressing the lock.

UKPK for her! :mad:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got my son his first knife when he turned 10. Since then he's shot up to a 6'3'' monster (he's now 15), so he can use pretty much any sized knife now but when he was 9-10 he really liked my old ZDP Delica and my Dragonfly. At the time it turned out he wanted to carve on literally everything he owned so he proved to be too young to have free reign over a knife, and I was/am always afraid he might accidentally take it to school and get himself (and me) in loads of trouble so it stays with my knives. The coolest thing about the Dragonfly as a choice for kids is that it doesn't stop being a usable knife for adults, so a kid can grow up using the knife and carry it right on into adulthood and it isn't like a smaller/cheaper child's version of something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:23 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 pm

UKPK for her! :mad:
I got her the 2016 “orchid violet” edition of the Victorinox Classic Alox for her birthday last year. I’m thinking that’s enough for her unless she actually shows an interest in something more on-body edc as opposed to living in the grunge in the bottom of the purse...
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Thatll work.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I will probably get this kit for my son first once he gets a little older. He’s 8 months old now so still a way to go. I can tell he’s going to be a knife guy though, he pulled himself up on the couch last night and tried to reach for my CRK all with a huge grin on his face.
Josh
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m finding the dull edge is promoting a full hand grasp in the blade to close it. I think I’m going to paint the edge red to help remind him not to touch that. Otherwise he’s doing fine opening and closing. I let him open and close the Pm3 while controlling the handle and guiding his hand on the blade. Made me nervous but he’s doing good. Gotta learn sometime! And it’s not like I haven’t cut myself...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

So I got the plastic Delica kit too. It stays together MUCH better with a tighter fit of pins to scales, while the blade and backlock are narrower than the back spacer so everything functions very well. Feels more like a working knife, where the wooden one would need a lot of model building attention to get the same feel. Looks like I’ll be getting each kid their own kit!